Opinions on Relocation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

THRILLHO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have applied to medical schools in the previous cycle but I am not having much luck (I'm still wait listed at one school but have been rejected from everywhere else). I am planning on applying again next year and I want to maximize my chances of getting into medical school. One of the many ways I'm looking to increase my chances is to move to a state and establish in-state residency a year before I apply. Specifically, I'm looking for places where I am in driving distance (less than six hour drive) of either New York City (where my girlfriend resides) or western Wisconsin (where my family resides). I can afford to visit one via plane every two months or so, but I can't afford to visit both by those means.

If you were me, where would you want to establish residency? I'm currently a Minnesota resident, but with only one state school that I'd like to go to that has in-state preference I don't think that I would be doing myself a favor by staying here.

I was thinking that NY, IL, or PA would be the best states given that they have several schools where in-staters frequently matriculate (even though several of the schools are private). I think Ohio and Indiana are too far away to drive either way, so I'm not really considering those.

My MCAT score was 510 last time (with much room for improvement on my part) and I graduated with a 3.9 GPA. I've been out of school for a few years.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

North/South Dakota.

Reactions: 1 user
Good suggestion! Although I would definitely prefer some place where I could continue to do research and that would be easily accessible to my girlfriend via flights from New York if there are any other suggestions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good suggestion! Although I would definitely prefer some place where I could continue to do research and that would be easily accessible to my girlfriend via flights from New York if there are any other suggestions.
Both those schools still do research.

Your MCAT really holds you back from most of the state schools in the upper Midwest that fit your range (Carver, Minnesota, MCOW, UWSMPH, Illinois). I'd expect someone else can chime in who is more knowledgeable about the East Coast State schools.

Both those schools still do research.

Your MCAT really holds you back from most of the state schools in the upper Midwest that fit your range (Carver, Minnesota, MCOW, UWSMPH, Illinois). I'd expect someone else can chime in who is more knowledgeable about the East Coast State schools.
A 510 mcat is holding him back?

Reactions: 1 users
A 510 mcat is holding him back?
I believe that is below average/median for those schools? Maybe not "holding back" but he is still an average/below average applicant to those schools with minimal connection to any of them other than Wisconsin and Minnesota.

I don't think an MCAT score of 510 is that of an average applicant to those schools, but closer to an average matriculant (509 is average for incoming class at UMN at least: Incoming Class Statistics). Regardless, I wouldn't get too hung up on the 510 MCAT score. I'm planning on taking it again and this time I'll actually have the time to relearn and study all of the material before I take it (I only studied a fraction of the tested biology and physics material before taking the test last time - relearning things while working full time and being out of school for 4 years is a lot more challenging than I had thought it would be!). I would think I could boost my score to at least around 514 or so.

Reactions: 1 user
Be aware, merely "relocating" for one year is not enough to be considered a "resident" at some schools.

Hello All,

I have applied to medical schools in the previous cycle but I am not having much luck (I'm still wait listed at one school but have been rejected from everywhere else). I am planning on applying again next year and I want to maximize my chances of getting into medical school. One of the many ways I'm looking to increase my chances is to move to a state and establish in-state residency a year before I apply. Specifically, I'm looking for places where I am in driving distance (less than six hour drive) of either New York City (where my girlfriend resides) or western Wisconsin (where my family resides). I can afford to visit one via plane every two months or so, but I can't afford to visit both by those means.

If you were me, where would you want to establish residency? I'm currently a Minnesota resident, but with only one state school that I'd like to go to that has in-state preference I don't think that I would be doing myself a favor by staying here.

I was thinking that NY, IL, or PA would be the best states given that they have several schools where in-staters frequently matriculate (even though several of the schools are private). I think Ohio and Indiana are too far away to drive either way, so I'm not really considering those.

My MCAT score was 510 last time (with much room for improvement on my part) and I graduated with a 3.9 GPA. I've been out of school for a few years.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

PA technically has 0 public in state schools so I wouldn't waste your time establishing residency here. While there are private schools where state residents often matriculate I think that's more because the residents choose these schools over out of state options, not because the schools actually favor in state applicants.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That would make sense. What do you guys and gals think would be the best way to determine the extent of in-state resident preference for a given school? I could search through each school's website to see if I see anything about preferences for in-state residents, but that doesn't seem to be efficient. And QuakerRay is right that stats about matriculants may be misleading. Thoughts?

Thanks for the responses thus far!

I think relocating for the sake of medical school is a little drastic. With a 510 MCAT and 1 interview, maybe something else is up with your application (unless you have a weak score in some subsection). Couldn't the year be better spent working on that weakness? Why would you want to move somewhere new - away from your girlfriend and support systems- and then have to spend time readjusting. There are a bunch of great research institutions in NYC (currently live here and I did research during my gap years).

Unless you're looking for something "new" or different and want a change in where you live.

I did have a weak score on the Biology subsection. I'm in the midst of memorizing the material I need to know for the MCAT right now. If I plan on applying again a little over a year from now, I'll have more than enough time to boost my score on that section. I also applied a little late (later August) last cycle, which I think hurt a bit.

I already live away from my family (Western Wisconsin) and girlfriend (NYC). I have friends where I live now (MN), but I also have friends in IL, WI, and NY. I'm also pretty adept at making new friends. I would like a change if possible, but I don't think I'd want to move somewhere where I'd hurt my chances of getting in compared to where I live now.