opinions on these schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Direct Laryngoscopy

Account on Hold
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine was accepted to Uwash, UIowa, Eistein and Stony Brook, all MSTP. He has an interview at Downstate coming up. He 99% sure he will be attending StonyBrook (He's done research there past couple of summers and his mentor is there). My question how do these programs stack up against one another? In his case location is no issue (ALL of his family lives on another continent). He is intending to do his research in nueroscience.

Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

well UWash wins hands down in terms of research and medical school. However, a gut feel is important and if he really likes stony brook then go there. Also it is good to really like your mentor personally...which is almost important as the science, but I don't know if it is a good idea to stay with the same mentor. It is good to work with new people to get different and fresh ideas. Just my two cents.

dpoke1 said:
A friend of mine was accepted to Uwash, UIowa, Eistein and Stony Brook, all MSTP. He has an interview at Downstate coming up. He 99% sure he will be attending StonyBrook (He's done research there past couple of summers and his mentor is there). My question how do these programs stack up against one another? In his case location is no issue (ALL of his family lives on another continent). He is intending to do his research in nueroscience.

Just curious.

Uof wash
einstein
uiowa
stonybrook
downstate

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree except I would flip iowa and einstein

dave613 said:
Uof wash
einstein
uiowa
stonybrook
downstate

If location is really not an issue, then I would definitely go with UWash. As jjmack said, the med school is great and the neuroscience is very strong. It sounds like the major factor for staying at Stonybrook is to keep the same research mentor, which could actually be viewed as a reason to leave. It would be easy for him to continue in the same lab to do his PhD, but in the long run he will probably be better trained if he has experienced different ways of doing science.

My impression of the Director of UW MSTP (when I interviewed there) was that he was a little too "hands-on" for my tastes. But it's a lovely city...you've got the Hutch...and some really tremendous people on the main UW campus, too. Impeccable clinical training.

Stony Brook is nice because of the Cold Spring Harbor connection--but, yeah, I would definitely search out a NEW mentor.

Diversification is the name of the game at this stage....

The cold spring harbor connection is cool, but they started their own grad school a few years ago and I see stony brook MSTP students finding it harder to do work there. CSHL is very post-doc heavy in the first place. The school also pays mentors to take their own grad students. Just some info that you should know...

Molecule said:
My impression of the Director of UW MSTP (when I interviewed there) was that he was a little too "hands-on" for my tastes. But it's a lovely city...you've got the Hutch...and some really tremendous people on the main UW campus, too. Impeccable clinical training.

Stony Brook is nice because of the Cold Spring Harbor connection--but, yeah, I would definitely search out a NEW mentor.

Diversification is the name of the game at this stage....

I am a sixth-year MSTP student at Iowa and I really like it here a lot. I didn't apply to any of the other places you listed, so I can't comment on them, but if I were given the chance I would certainly come here again. The program directors are very accessible and interested in our input and I think we get great training. Have your friend PM me if he has any specific questions about Iowa.

With the obvious disclaimer that I am a second year in the UW MSTP, I would say this: unless he or she is sold on NY, tell your friend to come to UW. The clinical training in our college system is fabulous, the MSTP students are a fun group, Seattle is awesome, the Neuro program here is strong, and a ton off money is pouring into medical research in this city. If he/she has questions, send me a private message and I'll give you an email address that we can communicate through.

Best,
MJS

mjs said:
With the obvious disclaimer that I am a second year in the UW MSTP, I would say this: unless he or she is sold on NY, tell your friend to come to UW. The clinical training in our college system is fabulous, the MSTP students are a fun group, Seattle is awesome, the Neuro program here is strong, and a ton off money is pouring into medical research in this city. If he/she has questions, send me a private message and I'll give you an email address that we can communicate through.

Best,
MJS

He was impressed and intimidated by UWASH (He told me there were something like 11 interviews which included one interview in front of a panel). He seems sold on Stony Brook even though when he was accepted to Stony, his own mentor told him to wait on UWASH (he was accepted to Stony Brook before going on the UWASH interview) before making his final decision. It seems like UWASH has a strong program. It just seems like he wants to go to Stony because he's comfortable there (mentor and past research). His mentor is the chair or director of the MSTP program, but UWASH really seems good. His personal ranking would be

1.Stony Brook
2. UWASH
3. UIOWA (just declined)
4.Einstein
5. Downstate (interviewing in a month)

dpoke1 said:
1.Stony Brook
2. UWASH
3. UIOWA (just declined)
4.Einstein
5. Downstate (interviewing in a month)

Declined Iowa? - dagger in my heart!! :(

Best wishes to your friend at Stony Brook.

Those reasons are all good, but he should definitely come back for a second look in the spring. I'm pretty sure it's paid for. It'll be a good way to take a look at the program when it's not interview season. I don't think of the environment as intimidating at all, but I do remember the interview day as being a little high stress.