Opportunities for Non-Trad Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MegaSonic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at the point in my application process where I've determined that I may not get in. I'm on the wait list at two schools, still waiting to hear from another, and one more interview left. So I'm planning for what to do if I don't get in. This is the first time I've applied. I completed my undergrad in May 2011 and did a post-bac that finished in May 2012.

I have some research experience but no lab experience which is something I'd like to do. However, I don't qualify for most structured research programs that I've found. I know about the NIH IRTA, but the 2-year point from graduation is coming up quickly for me. I've also gotten permission to apply to a summer program at Wash U even though I don't quite fit their eligibility guidelines. That would be nice since I could still participate even if I'm accepted to med school. I'm still looking for other possible opportunities. I've applied to scribe positions before and I'll probably try again. Although they are supposedly for pre-med students most them turned away as soon as I said I'm applying in this cycle and I would have met their minimum 1-year requirements. So, I'm stuck at this point. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Where's the nontrad part in here?

The reapplicant forum might be more helpful, for insights into why your app year didn't go well. Before you jump into a side activity, make sure you fix what's wrong. Instructions: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=942893

My #1 suggestion is to not apply again until you have a substantial new asset for your application, something that takes at least six months of full time effort. Suggestion #2: don't repeat your mistakes.

Best of luck to you.

I thought Non-trad was for students with time off since Undergrad and other round-a-bout paths to medical school...Is it for something else?

The post-bac was for fixing my grades (well, not fixing, but showing I can do well over the course of time), and I did well there and in the last year of my undergrad. I'll probably take the MCAT again. Last year I was specifically advised by multiple people on ad coms to not take the MCAT again but I sense they were wrong.

I'll be heading over to the reapplicant forum now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would call you non-trad

First, don't give up, yet. You still have another interview in the works. Plus most of the waitlist movement will happen in a couple months.

However, it doesn't hurt to plan ahead.

Is there a reason you want lab research? There are a lot of clinical research programs out there, associated with major medical centers or university hospitals, that look for help and you don't have to be a student to do. I'm not sure lab bench research is really something you need, unless you want to do more lab research while in med school.

I would call you non-trad

First, don't give up, yet. You still have another interview in the works. Plus most of the waitlist movement will happen in a couple months.

However, it doesn't hurt to plan ahead.

Is there a reason you want lab research? There are a lot of clinical research programs out there, associated with major medical centers or university hospitals, that look for help and you don't have to be a student to do. I'm not sure lab bench research is really something you need, unless you want to do more lab research while in med school.
In past years I didn't consider research at all but after I got some clinical research experience I decided I'd like to try lab research too. It's not a big deal if I don't get the opportunity, just something to "expand my horizons."