Opportunity in Vietnam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greatpharma

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm finishing up my Pharm.D degree and is a 2019 graduate. I'm wondering if anyone knows a career opportunity in Ho Chi Minh city, Viet Nam. I'm a Vietnamese so language is not an issue. I have done so much research and still could not find a good answer, so I hope someone on here would be willing to help. Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Health Scientist

You couldn't afford to work local there, there isn't enough dong in their annual salaries to pay for a month of student loans locally. Most work through MSF, USAID, or CDC.
Student loans don’t matter if you never set foot on US soil again.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Student loans don’t matter if you never set foot on US soil again.
Depends on the debt collector. If it's the federal government, good luck getting your passport renewed. And if you're a veteran, we do actually do recall them internationally (as in, send a warrant through Interpol) for other reasons through Title 38. Most of the countries that we have extradition treaties with will kick you out if you overstay your own visa anyway. I heard Thailand is a nice place to live.

Pay is not well but you do get extra when you have to pick up your M-16 and fight off the Viet Cong.

Studying pharmacy was a horrible choice if you had wanted to go back to Asia.

Reactions: 2 users
Any jobs in Vietnam will only pay around 10-15% of what US jobs can give you.

Reactions: 1 users
Studying pharmacy was a horrible choice if you had wanted to go back to Asia.
Hi, do you have any recommendation about a career that is in demand in Asia? I plan to complete a second degree because honestly I cannot see myself working in the U.S for the rest of my life. It may sound crazy and I always appreciate all the opportunities I have had when I'm here, but I was born and grew up in Viet Nam so I am deeply attached to it. Thanks.

Hi, do you have any recommendation about a career that is in demand in Asia? I plan to complete a second degree because honestly I cannot see myself working in the U.S for the rest of my life. It may sound crazy and I always appreciate all the opportunities I have had when I'm here, but I was born and grew up in Viet Nam so I am deeply attached to it. Thanks.
That all depends on how much money you want to make. It’s not that you can’t do pharmacy in Asia, you just can’t expect the same pay as the US, especially if you are a new grad. Even if you end up as the pharmacy director at an international hospital (need a few years of experience), your pay will only be a third to half of what you can expect as a staff rph in the US.

I don’t know how many, if any, international pharmaceutical companies have a base in Vietnam, but you could technically try to get an entry level job there. Even then, you may need connections. I don’t know about Vietnam, but most Asian countries are very big on work experience, even if it’s in a somewhat unrelated field. You may want to work a couple of years in the US first.

You can also get a MBA (from a good school) and go back to do consulting work... but then again, you need work experience (unless you somehow can get into a top school without experience).

Edit: go get your MBA from INSEAD if you wanna work in Asia. It’s a top ranked school and they may take you without work experience.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I'm finishing up my Pharm.D degree and is a 2019 graduate. I'm wondering if anyone knows a career opportunity in Ho Chi Minh city, Viet Nam. I'm a Vietnamese so language is not an issue. I have done so much research and still could not find a good answer, so I hope someone on here would be willing to help. Thanks in advance. :)

Hi OP thanks for posting. I do not think it will be profitable to work in Ho Chi Minh city unless you are planning on not paying back any of the money you have borrowed. Then it may be profitable but it could possibly be illegal and I can't condone that.

Hi OP thanks for posting. I do not think it will be profitable to work in Ho Chi Minh city unless you are planning on not paying back any of the money you have borrowed. Then it may be profitable but it could possibly be illegal and I can't condone that.
Thank you for your insight! I plan to do income-driven repayment plans while working abroad. Pharmacy is an option, but I will probably start up or invest in a business model too. I understand that the income will be significantly low, but the living expense is also much cheaper so hopefully I can still live well with a decent job. Reality may be harsh and that is why I am asking for insight and advice from everyone before making any final decision. :)

Thank you for your insight! I plan to do income-driven repayment plans while working abroad. Pharmacy is an option, but I will probably start up or invest in a business model too. I understand that the income will be significantly low, but the living expense is also much cheaper so hopefully I can still live well with a decent job. Reality may be harsh and that is why I am asking for insight and advice from everyone before making any final decision. :)
I'm not sure if IBR qualifies for out of country students. That is something to check up on. If that's true I might just go to Corsica and work at a minimum wage tourist guide job. Life is too short to stress out about this stuff. I probably only have around 20 good years left in life and i'm not sure I want to spend them stressing out.

I'm not sure if IBR qualifies for out of country students. That is something to check up on. If that's true I might just go to Corsica and work at a minimum wage tourist guide job. Life is too short to stress out about this stuff. I probably only have around 20 good years left in life and i'm not sure I want to spend them stressing out.

Based on this article (I also found the same info from multiple sources), working abroad after graduation is qualified for IRB. The concern is how to find a job that is worth all the issues that may come with it (moving, hosing, culture, ...)

Based on this article (I also found the same info from multiple sources), working abroad after graduation is qualified for IRB. The concern is how to find a job that is worth all the issues that may come with it (moving, hosing, culture, ...)
Sorry, it does not let me post a link. The article can be found on hstudentloanhero with the title "working abroad with student loans."