Optical Assistant/Technician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bethalexa1020

Reaction score
I wanted to look into finding a job as an optical assistant or technician to add to my resume for optometry school. I am currently going into my third year of undergrad. Is it necessary to get a certification to get the job or how were any of you able to get a position with or without?

Members don't see this ad.

I got the optometric assisting certification and can work at clinics, but I think some offices are ok if you have a medical assistant certification. You can try to apply at some clinics without either, but you may not get much of a job to do besides front desk tasks, or a very nice Optometrist will help you out... At least from what I had seen from experience.

Certification is not needed at all for optical assistant or technician. Even if you can't get a job, shadowing is also a good second choice.

Certification is not necessary but it may help you get a job because it'll show your interest and commitment to the field. I was lucky to get a lot of on-the-job training because I was an intern for the first year I was at the practice that I currently work at. I also got my paraoptometric certification (through the AOA) because I wanted to add that to my resume, though it was not required my employer. All that's involved in becoming a CPO is taking a pretty easy test! Something to consider :) good luck!