Optical Assistant/Technician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bethalexa1020

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wanted to look into finding a job as an optical assistant or technician to add to my resume for optometry school. I am currently going into my third year of undergrad. Is it necessary to get a certification to get the job or how were any of you able to get a position with or without?
 
I got the optometric assisting certification and can work at clinics, but I think some offices are ok if you have a medical assistant certification. You can try to apply at some clinics without either, but you may not get much of a job to do besides front desk tasks, or a very nice Optometrist will help you out... At least from what I had seen from experience.
 
Certification is not needed at all for optical assistant or technician. Even if you can't get a job, shadowing is also a good second choice.
 
Certification is not necessary but it may help you get a job because it'll show your interest and commitment to the field. I was lucky to get a lot of on-the-job training because I was an intern for the first year I was at the practice that I currently work at. I also got my paraoptometric certification (through the AOA) because I wanted to add that to my resume, though it was not required my employer. All that's involved in becoming a CPO is taking a pretty easy test! Something to consider 🙂 good luck!