Optician as a backup instead of Optometrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterStrike

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was looking at the medicine careers and I thought that if you don't get accepted to a school because of your boards score or your GPA then how would becoming an optician work out? Do they require the same pre-reqs? Do you just need to take the tests for the opticians and then become licensed?

Members don't see this ad.

So I was looking at the medicine careers and I thought that if you don't get accepted to a school because of your boards score or your GPA then how would becoming an optician work out? Do they require the same pre-reqs? Do you just need to take the tests for the opticians and then become licensed?

The requirements to become an Optician vary by state. Some states require an apprenticeship/licensing, some require a minimum of ABO certification, some are a mixture of both of the above, and others have no requirements at all. But in all cases, no college degree is required.

It may sound as a pretty sweet deal but be aware that as far as pay scale, it does not come close to what you would make as an Optometrist or most other medical professions. You would be making anywhere in between $10-$35/hr as an Optician. If in a state with no requirements, you’ll be on the lower end whereas the higher end is reserved for those states that require licensing and even then, you typically don’t see that pay unless you’re management and have quite a few years of experience under your belt. Also be aware that most Optical positions are sales based and as such, you will most likely have sales goals and a commission structure. This is not typical of independent doctors offices but those jobs are few and far between.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve enjoyed being an Optician for the last twelve years (started young). However, if being an optometrist wasn’t my goal, I would have pursued a different career years ago.

Hope this helps!

The requirements to become an Optician vary by state. Some states require an apprenticeship/licensing, some require a minimum of ABO certification, some are a mixture of both of the above, and others have no requirements at all. But in all cases, no college degree is required.

It may sound as a pretty sweet deal but be aware that as far as pay scale, it does not come close to what you would make as an Optometrist or most other medical professions. You would be making anywhere in between $10-$35/hr as an Optician. If in a state with no requirements, you’ll be on the lower end whereas the higher end is reserved for those states that require licensing and even then, you typically don’t see that pay unless you’re management and have quite a few years of experience under your belt. Also be aware that most Optical positions are sales based and as such, you will most likely have sales goals and a commission structure. This is not typical of independent doctors offices but those jobs are few and far between.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve enjoyed being an Optician for the last twelve years (started young). However, if being an optometrist wasn’t my goal, I would have pursued a different career years ago.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info! Do you know what are Florida's requirements? Also, I know that the pay is far away from what an optometrist would take but I was thinking that I would rather have that job if I don't get in than like a lower position job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! Do you know what are Florida's requirements? Also, I know that the pay is far away from what an optometrist would take but I was thinking that I would rather have that job if I don't get in than like a lower position job.

I don’t know FL’s requirements but I do know that it is one of the states that requires licensing. If it’s a lot like VA, then your first step is going to be getting a job as a sales associate to be able to ask to do an “apprenticeship” under a currently licensed Optician. Most employers are typically excited when their employees show initiative to want to continue onward in the industry so it shouldn’t be difficult so long as the Optician isnt sponsoring more than the allotted amount of “apprentices.” From there, it’s typically a two year process of various classes pertaining to the eye industry and lenses. Again, this is VA so not sure if FL is the same.

Florida requirements for an apprentice are 6,240 hours of specified training to be completed within 5 yrs or you can apply for a program that is typically a two yr associates degree.To qualify for licensure in Florida, you must also show evidence of successfully taking a certification exam. Certifications may be earned by taking the ABO and NCLE certification exam, or taking the exam administered by the National optician board exam. A practicing license is issued for one year, and expires on December 31st. I personally don't care for it I prefer optometry while knowing that there are things I need to know in order to be an excellent OD.