Optician/Optical Technician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aimeeee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I was searching for jobs and opticians and optical technicians came up. What's the difference? If there is any difference, which would be better for me to gain more experience, to work more personally with the doctor, and to do pre-testing and such for the patients? Which do you guys recommend? Do colleges prefer one over the other? thanks~! reading everything on this board has been a great help for me... :)

Members don't see this ad.

aimeeee said:
Hi guys. I was searching for jobs and opticians and optical technicians came up. What's the difference? If there is any difference, which would be better for me to gain more experience, to work more personally with the doctor, and to do pre-testing and such for the patients? Which do you guys recommend? Do colleges prefer one over the other? thanks~! reading everything on this board has been a great help for me... :)

If you'd like to work as an optician I believe you need to be licensed to do that in most states. In my state I think it's a 2 year degree. I work as an optometric technician right now, however the dr. i work for trained me in all areas of the office so that when i'm not too busy i get to fill in the other areas. I think if you're looking to apply to optometry school soon, getting an optician's license might be a waste of time, but once again i'd check with your state to see what the requirements are.

Good luck!

Some states do require certification to be an optician, but in many it just requires taking a test. You could study the night before the test and pass, it is really a waste of time. But from what I have seen at many offices, the opticians will usually just deal with the frames/optical, while the optometric tech will often do the pre-testing for the doctor. As far as certification to be a tech, hold up your right hand and say, "I promise to try to not blind anyone in my job as optometric tech." CONGRATS!!! You are now ready to be trained in art of taking VA's and color testing.

But back to your really question, which would be better. It all depends on the office. The better job for you would be one that lets you in the exam room with the patients and doing testing. That could be as an optician or a tech, it all depends on what the doctor wants to put on your name tag.