Optics

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpw

It's a boy !!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, can anyone tell me what kinds of things you learn in optics?? Is it just like the stuff in physics in undergrad.. just more detailed or what?? just curious cuz it seems like with every OD student i've talked to optics is their hardest (and most dreaded) class. any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Ive heard the same thing??? :eek: :eek:

All I know is that when I went a tour of PCO, we passed through the anatomy lab and someone had left their optics notes on one of the tables. Sooooooo, I couldnt control myself so I took a little gander....

:eek: :eek:!!! (that sums it up)

Ive heard its not calculus based or anything, so thats good. I also heard its just a lot of word problems (surprise, surprise). Everyone says the number crunching is not too tough, but figuring out which numbers to crunch and which formula to use IS tough....

so, in other words, i have no clue either! :D

But, we'll survive! Im not a math guy myself (I know youre thinking, why opt then???). I like everything about opt except the math. And Im told the math you use day to day is pretty darn easy. Ever heard anything about this, cpw? Do you think a non-math guy can make it through school? :confused:

Dunno.. I've always been really good at math.. and actually liked it. (don't hit me) :D

So, we'll get through it together. there's security in numbers. I'm sure there will be people there to tutor us if we're struggling.. that's what the second years are there for right?? RIGHT?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Word problems for optics? How's that?.... I was exposed to optics during physics and most of our materials were mathematical calculations....

Like Im thinking they give us optics scenarios that might occur in the world of an optometry and ask us what to do to figure out the answer????

Talk to me next year at this time for more details ;) :p

On a similar note, the one class that I never got the chance to take in undergrad that supposedly would really help me in opt school is BIOCHEM. My questions is this (if either of you have taken it?), how is biochem that diff from ochem? I mean I know what biochem IS, but I have no idea what a class in biochem covers? :confused:

Biochem usually covers a lot of molecular biology. So, if you've taken molecular you're good for a LOT of biochem. the main thing we learned in first semester biochem (i majored in it so I took three semesters) was metabolic pathways. I have a feeling we're going to see TONS of pathways our first year. (including memorizing enzyme catalysts) But, I have yet to start school so I'm not positive. I also know we covered mechanisms (some) of triglycerides... memorized the amino acid structures.. talked a little about nutrition.. biochemical lab assays (also usually covered in molecular)

Hope this helps!

groovy, thanks cpw!
:D

Hola,
I have taken 3 optics classes and still could not really tell you what it is all about. You certainly do not need any calculus. It is mostly a lot of basic math and plug and chug kinds of problems. It really is not all that bad...honest. Trust me..you will encounter other classes in opt. school that will make you wish you were in optics. In optics 1-???(it never ends) you spend a fair amount of time learning about how light waves reflect/refract through prisms and lenses. You also learn about abberations of lenses and all sorts of math that calculates angles and prism deviation and blah blah blah. It id not very stimulating and you will rarely if ever use it after graduation but it is a requirement..more like an obscure form of torture. eyeguy

Hey, eyeguy, its great to have an actual opt student on the board so we can ask some questions about 1st year. :D

Heres my question, what advice can you give us new first-year students? I know everyone says its hard work, but what can we specifically look forward to, or NOT look forward to? ;)

And, a more specific question is this, I was talking to others on the board earlier in this thread about my non-love of math. I can do it, but I dont really like it, so its hard for me. Can I survive optics, etc? Im sure Ill be fine, just need a little encouragement :cool:

Hello again,
Let's see. Advice. Ahh...study but not too much. How's that??? It is just as important your first year to bond with your classmates as it is to ace biochem. You will find that it is not too hard to pass but it is fairly difficult to get an A. Unless you are like me(feel an unnatural desire to have a 4.0) settle for the B and be happy. My guess is that all of you have busted your butts to get this far so now you can relax. Grades matter very little now..they really don't. Even if you want to do a residency..a 3.0 will be more than enough. Your first year is really an adjustment year and is not that bad..get involved. Play intramural sports, go to parties and socialize. We have people in my class who never do anything with anyone and study all the time..noone likes them..HA...just kidding. Anyway, you need to have fun and school is not life or death. I guarantee you if you have made it this far you can get through it. I would look forward most to making new friends and meeting new people..I did.
Now..the other question. I hate math too and I did not inherent my father's math gene(an engineer) and I still have done perfectly well in all my optics courses. It really is not a lot of math and what there is of it is basic basic basic math...like x+y=z or cos of some angle thingy. It is all math I learned in highschool..no calculas and your calculator probably will do 90% of the work for you. Optics is about taking a problem, seeing what variables you are given and solving for the variables(usu one) that you are asked for. It is actually kind of easy..the horror!. I really ought to knock on something now. You will do great!!trust me. eyeguy

THANKS ALOT EYEGUY!! :D

I needed some encouragement, and now Im set!! I really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear the math isnt soooooo bad. ANd thats some great advice about not getting too stressed. Whenever you feel some more advice coming on, please share!

I CANT WAIT TO START! :D :D :D :cool:

sure thing. if you all have anymore questions about your first year..just ask and i will attempt to answer them. eyeguy :rolleyes:

Hello again,
Let's see. Advice. Ahh...study but not too much. How's that??? It is just as important your first year to bond with your classmates as it is to ace biochem. You will find that it is not too hard to pass but it is fairly difficult to get an A. Unless you are like me(feel an unnatural desire to have a 4.0) settle for the B and be happy. My guess is that all of you have busted your butts to get this far so now you can relax. Grades matter very little now..they really don't. Even if you want to do a residency..a 3.0 will be more than enough. Your first year is really an adjustment year and is not that bad..get involved. Play intramural sports, go to parties and socialize. We have people in my class who never do anything with anyone and study all the time..noone likes them..HA...just kidding. Anyway, you need to have fun and school is not life or death. I guarantee you if you have made it this far you can get through it. I would look forward most to making new friends and meeting new people..I did.
Now..the other question. I hate math too and I did not inherent my father's math gene(an engineer) and I still have done perfectly well in all my optics courses. It really is not a lot of math and what there is of it is basic basic basic math...like x+y=z or cos of some angle thingy. It is all math I learned in highschool..no calculas and your calculator probably will do 90% of the work for you. Optics is about taking a problem, seeing what variables you are given and solving for the variables(usu one) that you are asked for. It is actually kind of easy..the horror!. I really ought to knock on something now. You will do great!!trust me. eyeguy

very true

Is there a reason to bring back a 6 year old thread?

It really threw me off to see cpw asking about optometry classes! I was really confused until I looked at the date...holy cow, I was just finishing the tenth grade when that thread was started lol.

LoL, yea I was in my senior year of high school when that thread was being made. As for optics, I worked with an optometrist that told me the only Real world experience optics may come in handy is figuring out the measurements in a room for the exam chair so it's 20 feet away, taking into consideration the size of the alphabet/number font.

LoL, yea I was in my senior year of high school when that thread was being made. As for optics, I worked with an optometrist that told me the only Real world experience optics may come in handy is figuring out the measurements in a room for the exam chair so it's 20 feet away, taking into consideration the size of the alphabet/number font.

I strongly disagree with that. While it is true that you aren't going to be setting up an optical bench any time soon or figuring out to the nanometer how thick an AR coating needs to be, a knowledge of geometric, physical and physiolgical optics is essential to your understanding of what exactly it is your doing as you work with your patients. It will also give you a better idea of what is going on with your patients when they come up with unusual complaints.

I'm surprised a practicing OD made a statement like that. Personally, I find that disappointing.

...holy cow, I was just finishing the tenth grade when that thread was started lol.

shut it you... :p

The funny thing seeing this now.... I ended up not only doing well in ophthalmic optics, but becoming the TA. :oops: