Optimal time to take MCAT + apply to maximize chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

windmills

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am about to become a second semester sophomore and would like to start preparing to take the MCAT and apply to medical schools. My aim is to attend a top school like UChicago, UCSF, Columbia, or Stanford. Therefore, I'd like to apply when my application is the strongest but at the same time without having to spend a gap year doing so.

When is the optimal moment to apply for such medical schools given my stats?
When should I take the MCAT so that I can apply in time?

Here are my stats:
  • GPA - 3.77 (will probably be higher ~3.9 by application time when I am done with this year where I overloaded with challenging classes)
  • Top 3 Liberal Arts College
  • FL Resident
  • Race/Ethnicity - Latin American
  • Chemistry and Science in Society Double Major

Clinical/Shadowing Experience
  • Worked in the radiology department at a hospital in Barcelona with an attending radiologist. Assisted in moving patients and talking to patients in preparation for imagings/examinations. Typed up dictated reports for the radiologists in spanish. Performed ultrasound imagings under the supervision of the attending radiologist.

Non-Clinical Volunteering/Community Service
  • Organized a series of fundraisers and a crowdfunding campaign to fundraise for a water sanitation system in a school in the developing world (150+ hours)
  • Part of translating volunteer group where I translate between english and spanish documents for local non profits along with parent-teacher conferences, and domestic violence counseling. (100+ hours)

Research Experience
  • Active research in a neurobiology lab researching stem cell therapies for epilepsy since first semester ~10 hrs/week and over the past summer (poster produced).
  • If I work in the lab again this summer (not preferable) I would be working as a McNair fellow and it is likely that I would be coauthored on a paper by junior year. Otherwise I've applied to participate in one of various other summer research programs (Amgen, MHIRT, etc.)

Shadowing
  • Over 150 hours with a radiologist in a Barcelona university hospital.
  • Probably more by the time I apply. (where/who should I shadow?)

Extracurriculars/Leadership
  • Co-Founder and Co-Chair of student global health organization (3 hrs/ week
  • Student coordinator and teaching assistant for an on-campus program/class that nurtures URM science majors during their first year. Also, serve as an ambassador for the program where I give presentations to prospective students and their parents. (4 hrs/week)
  • Work-study job at the library since first semester. (8+ hrs/week)
  • TA for Gen Chem I. (4+ hrs/week)
  • I have used the money from my various jobs on campus to travel around the word during the breaks in order to increase cross-cultural awareness. (Brazil, Spain, Japan, Korea, Cuba, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

Where in Latin America are you from?
Do you have any. Clinical work in the US? How about shadowing? If not you need to get it. Try to find primary care docs to shadow. Shadowing and clinical experience are different.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Agree with above. You have no clinical work or shadowing in the US and you're going to need both for a successful application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Where in Latin America are you from?
Do you have any. Clinical work in the US? How about shadowing? If not you need to get it. Try to find primary care docs to shadow. Shadowing and clinical experience are different.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks for your replies.

I am from Colombia. Does this not make me an URM?

I am aware that I need to improve my shadowing/clinical experiences and I am going to get some in this semester and/or this summer. If I do this consistently until application time do you guys think it is possible to take the MCAT junior fall/winter and have a strong application the summer after junior year? Would it be better to build experiences/application over junior year and apply the summer after senior year?

I don't think Colombians are considered UIM but I might be wrong. I think I read some schools decide if a particular group is UIM for their purposes. You'll have to research that whole thing but I'm pretty sure SA doesn't count for UIM.
You have plenty of time to do what you need to do for your application but not at the expense of your grades. So do get involved and see how it goes. If you feel that you have a perfect application at the end of junior year you can apply. If it could be stronger no harm in waiting a year. You only want to apply one time with the best application possible.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Columbians are not URM. Spanish skills are always useful.

Take the MCAT when you are 100% ready for it.

Thanks for your replies.

I am from Colombia. Does this not make me an URM?

I am aware that I need to improve my shadowing/clinical experiences and I am going to get some in this semester and/or this summer. If I do this consistently until application time do you guys think it is possible to take the MCAT junior fall/winter and have a strong application the summer after junior year? Would it be better to build experiences/application over junior year and apply the summer after senior year?

Columbians are not URM. Spanish skills are always useful.

Take the MCAT when you are 100% ready for it.

Can you cite where you got this information? I know the pre-2003 definition only included Mexican Americans and Puerto Rican's but from my recent research on the AAMC website the current definition is broadened and enables each school to define it based on regional demographics/representation.

Also it's Colombian not Columbian..

Last edited:
Can you cite where you got this information? I know the pre-2003 definition only included Mexican Americans and Puerto Rican's but from my recent research on the AAMC website the current definition is broadened and enables each school to define it based on regional demographics/representation.

Also it's Colombian not Colombian..

Well, he is an adcom....
But i saw something on aamc that broke down acceptances from last year and latinos/hispanic was a separate demographic from Mexican and Puerto Rican.