"Optional" Secondary Essay topic? Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nh278

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!

So it seems a lot of the schools I've applied to has that optional "tell us anything else you want us to know" topic, and I'm not sure what exactly to write about. I've been thinking about turning it into a diversity essay and the best things I could come up to write about were
1) my major that is unique to my college, and combines the sciences and humanities, or 2) my battle overcoming my extreme, EXTREME shyness (like, I know a lot of people are shy, but mine was on a whole other level)

Which one do you think would look better to medical schools? Or should I write about something totally different for the optional essay, like why I would like to attend their school?

Thanks!!
What you should write, if you should write anything at all, depends greatly on the exact wording of the question. I'd need to know the specific wording of the prompt in order to offer my opinion.

What you should write, if you should write anything at all, depends greatly on the exact wording of the question. I'd need to know the specific wording of the prompt in order to offer my opinion.

It just says "Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file."

I also thought of perhaps writing about how my parents are immigrants and work at a restaurant, and how I've faced judgement from peers because of this and them underestimating my potential to becoming a physician.....

Members don't see this ad :)
It just says "Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file."

I also thought of perhaps writing about how my parents are immigrants and work at a restaurant, and how I've faced judgement from peers because of this and them underestimating my potential to becoming a physician.....
Thanks for that additional information. Since this is optional, be very careful not to share something that would put your foot in your mouth. Talking about overcoming your shyness could be good because it shows how you overcome obstacles. Writing about your major also sounds very interesting, but make sure you explain how it would help you contribute to the incoming class, be a better physician, etc. You could write a "Why this school?" essay, but because of the wording of the question, it would need to be written as: "I am _____," or "______ interests me" and then an explanation of why that makes you want to go to that school. If you just write about how great their school is and how you really want to go, you are not sharing something about yourself, you're sharing something about them, and that might look bad because it wouldn't really address the prompt they gave you. I would stay away from the response about facing judgment from peers because it is never a good idea to talk negatively about anyone in your application. If you want to address the issue of having blue-collar, immigrant parents, you can talk about how your background could help you relate to patients who are of a different socioeconomic status than the one you will likely be a member of as a practicing physician.

For me, I would address extracurriculars that I am doing this summer that can fill some gaps in my application. Not sure if this is the best use of the prompt though?

For me, I would address extracurriculars that I am doing this summer that can fill some gaps in my application. Not sure if this is the best use of the prompt though?
Are those extracurriculars listed in the activities section of your AMCAS? If so, I wouldn't talk about them in response to this prompt as that would be redundant.

Are those extracurriculars listed in the activities section of your AMCAS? If so, I wouldn't talk about them in response to this prompt as that would be redundant.
Nope. They are all new activities.

You could definitely talk about them, then.

Hi everyone!

So it seems a lot of the schools I've applied to has that optional "tell us anything else you want us to know" topic, and I'm not sure what exactly to write about. I've been thinking about turning it into a diversity essay and the best things I could come up to write about were
1) my major that is unique to my college, and combines the sciences and humanities, or 2) my battle overcoming my extreme, EXTREME shyness (like, I know a lot of people are shy, but mine was on a whole other level)

Which one do you think would look better to medical schools? Or should I write about something totally different for the optional essay, like why I would like to attend their school?

Thanks!!

1. Yes. And relate this to their specific curriculum and program focus.
2. NO! It may seem as a positive to some, but a negative to others. Do NOT give them ammunition to reject you Pre-Interview.

I'm guessing this is the secondary for Dartmouth?