Options after Prelim Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackbird03

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I matched into a prelim medicine program at UC Davis. I was wondering what options does one have in terms of specialties after the prelim medicine. I matched into a 234 Emergency Medicine program but since I have the year to think about it, I want to keep my options open. I am pretty sure I can continue on to do a categorical medicine residency. But what about other specialties such as anesthesia, radiology, etc. Please let me know if you know of what prelim IMs resident has done in the past.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Opthalmology
Radiation Oncology
Finding a PGY-2 Medicine position

hey you'll be with my classmate when you're at uc davis!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that he could reapply for every specialty in the world if he wanted to. That's all I'm saying.
As for places he can sneak into a PGY2 spot, those are a little narrower.

That being said, if you give up your EM spot, PM me and I'll sign for it NOW.

Hi,

I matched into a prelim medicine program at UC Davis. I was wondering what options does one have in terms of specialties after the prelim medicine. I matched into a 234 Emergency Medicine program but since I have the year to think about it, I want to keep my options open. I am pretty sure I can continue on to do a categorical medicine residency. But what about other specialties such as anesthesia, radiology, etc. Please let me know if you know of what prelim IMs resident has done in the past.

Thanks!

How do you match into a preliminary program and an emergency program? And where does "year to think about" enter the picture?

I matched in a 234 EM program with a PGY 1 in prelim medicine. So during the prelim i will have time (a year) to seriously think about all aforementioned options. I just wanna be happy is all.

I don't see why you wouldn't be eligible for any and all specialties, as long as you are willing to repeat the internship year in that specialty. Prelim medicine is a one year gig and after that you are a free agent!

You can get out of an advanced program that you have already matched into as long as you do so before Jan 15th and you have the PD's permission according to NRMP (I learned this from aProgramDirector last night ;) )

The world is your my friend :thumbup:

Do you mean that before Jan 15th, there will not be a match violation if the PD agrees for me to withdraw from the program?

From the NRMP website about Waiver policies:

"An applicant who matched to an advanced position or a fellowship position also may request a waiver if the applicant has elected to change specialties, provided the waiver is requested no later than the January 15 prior to the start of training in the advanced or fellowship program and provided the program director consents to the waiver. The determination to grant or deny a waiver request lies in the sole discretion of the NRMP. "

Hence, it seems that as long as you have your future PD's blessing and request it by Jan 15, there is no match violation assuming that you change specialties. If you try to stay inside the same specialty, then there could theoretically be a problem

Thanks for the info. I guess if you tried to get a waiver before Jan 15th and get denied, it would have an awkward situation for you and the PD. Although I would think that's a really low probability

Thanks for the info. I guess if you tried to get a waiver before Jan 15th and get denied, it would have an awkward situation for you and the PD. Although I would think that's a really low probability
It wouldn't make sense for your program director to deny you. Why would a program director want a resident who didn't want to be there when many enthusiastic, qualified applicants are waiting to take the spot?