Options for not necessarily a post-bac

Started by AceM1188
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AceM1188

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

So just to give a lil' information about myself: I am at an ivy league school with a 3.72 GPA pursuing a Biochemistry (ScB) degree and will be graduating this coming May 2011. Right now I plan on taking a year off to do research (and just to take an overall break) before matriculating into med school god-willingly in Fall of 2012 where I look to enter into an MD/PhD program. Right now I'm looking into primarily working as a tech in a lab to continue working and earning money so that the application process can actually be feasible.

As the semester has gone by, I have been looking more and more into these post-bac programs that are primarily designed to help those from non-science backgrounds or those who wish to improve their academic background to make acceptance more likely.

Personally, I am not looking for these types of programs but am looking more for any fellowships/jobs/etc that would allow me to work in a lab as a tech seeing as I'm currently satisfied with my academic background. If anyone knows of any or if anyone could clarify any misconceptions that I may inherently have (based on reading this thread) about the post-bac programs, any information would be much appreciated. Hope to hear from someone soon. Please and Thanks!

Best,

AceM1188
 
You could try a 1 year MS program in a bio/biochem/whatever. I keep hearing they exist, but I never looked into it. I'm guessing it would require some grad classes, a library project, and maybe some teaching so it could free up your time to do research.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you're right, the post-bac/SMP route is not for you. i'd suggest talking to faculty in your program, see if they have any suggestions for you. i know it's pretty tough out there right now, good luck.
 
You could go get a job doing research with some Lab, either at your university or another. You'll get benefits, maybe 30 grand, and maybe a recommendation, that you may or not need. If you have some kind of research, biochem, etc. background (as you do), you could also get a nice job in industry and make far more and get a different experience/perspective. If you are not desperate for a rec, go make some money and get out of the academic environment. Or, better, find something you really want to do, and do that for a year or 2.