Options in the Summer During Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FUTDR

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how people are spending their summers during dental school...research? working? vacationing? missions?

Members don't see this ad.

relax, relax, relax! i have not had a free summer since the summer between 11th and 12th grade, so i'm really looking forward to this one. unfortunately, it will be short since IUSD starts the first week of July :(

i'm thinking about taking a 2 week road trip with my boyfriend once school ends this spring. i've never seen the west or mid-west, so i hope the trip works out.

if i were you, i'd take it easy. it might be the only time you'll ever get to enjoy yourself before the 4 rigorous years begin :p

while in dental school, i don't know how long of a break we will get during summer time, but i will probably be traveling back to FL to see my family.

It seems like a bunch of schools dont give you the summer off! I know that at the the school i will be going I'll have a 3 week break in august, but before that is summer school! :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
denty said:
It seems like a bunch of schools dont give you the summer off! I know that at the the school i will be going I'll have a 3 week break in august, but before that is summer school! :thumbdown:

Yup, very few schools offer any kind of summer break except between first and second years - and even that is usually only ~4 weeks. At my school we usually get three or four days to relax between semesters, but it isn't long enough for a real vacation or anything.

It's a cold, hard welcome to the adult world.

12YearOldKid said:
Yup, very few schools offer any kind of summer break except between first and second years - and even that is usually only ~4 weeks. At my school we usually get three or four days to relax between semesters, but it isn't long enough for a real vacation or anything.

It's a cold, hard welcome to the adult world.
Bingo.

IUSD gives you about five weeks off between first & second years, but after that you're on your own. Starting the week after second year spring finals, you're up on the clinic floor. The good news is that only 50% clinic attendance is required in the summer, so it's not too hard to fit in a week or two of vacation if you really need some time away.

Arizona gets 5 weeks off between D1 and D2 years, but Part I lands smack in the middle of that, so the first half of the break is spent studying.

All other years get 3-4 weeks off, with the option of rotating emergency call in the clinic.

You guys are making me nervous. I dont want to start now. I need more free time. Not that I have many options, but still...

Oh! Of course I am going to relax this summer. I will work until 1-2 months to conclude my previous career before I start school and take a break.

I was referring to summer during dental school. I know I get 3 months off.

Houston has the first summer off. This summer..I've got summer school until July 1st, and then I'll just be working. Looks like I"ll be going to China for a week and a half right before I have to move and start orientation week. Busy busy :) Four years of labor for many more years of reward. It'll alllllll be worth it

aphistis said:
Bingo.

IUSD gives you about five weeks off between first & second years, but after that you're on your own. Starting the week after second year spring finals, you're up on the clinic floor. The good news is that only 50% clinic attendance is required in the summer, so it's not too hard to fit in a week or two of vacation if you really need some time away.

Is that your sister? You two look like twins.

I applied for a research position in biomaterials at Colorado Dental and Clemson University.
Will not find out until May.
If I don't accepted, I plan on traveling. :love: