Options to still do psych after SOAPing into family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AngelOfAvarice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I didn’t match into psych. Interviewed at 12 places. I really wanted to be a child psychiatrist, I had a lot of unique childhood and consequent adult adversity. I’m trying to SOAP at the moment, it’s looking like family medicine is going to be the most plausible outcome.

Any hope of keeping the dream alive? How difficult is it to try to transfer into a psychiatry program after finishing intern year in family medicine? If it is possible, is there anything I should be doing in the upcoming year to help my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Could you try and SOAP into pediatrics instead of family medicine? That way you can still do child psych.

Could you try and SOAP into pediatrics instead of family medicine? That way you can still do child psych.
Everything happened so fast, that’s not really an option at this point, I don’t think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only 4 psych interviews and in the emulsification process with you. I resigned myself to being open with my 2nd choice of FM -> sports med later, and 3rd choice of peds. Maybe will invest energy in looking at how to transfer later, but unlikely. I realize a large part of why I wanted psych is the whole "healthier population" and "younger" patients thing. Since I'm gonna private practice no matter what, FM is still okay for what I want to do. Peds is a bit harder.

Everything happened so fast, that’s not really an option at this point, I don’t think.

I know of people who did their intern year and matched into psych after reapplying the following year. That being said it is not going to be easy but if you want it enough it is attainable. The large majority of programs will make you repeat your intern year. You can also do a fellowship in addiction medicine if you decide to stay in family medicine.

There are apparently a few fellowships that are possible after a family medicine residency that might bring you close. I have no idea how difficult these are to get into from a FM residency.

Addiction Medicine (ABPM)
Geriatrics (ACGME)
Hospice/Palliative (ACGME)
Sleep (ACGME)
Behavioral Medicine (Unaccredited)
Integrative Medicine (Unaccredited)

Keep in mind, primary care does prescribe 70% of all psychiatric medications. You'll be able to treat psychiatric issues as a FM doc, you should seek out as much training in it during residency, focusing on outpatient practice if you can.

So I didn’t match into psych. Interviewed at 12 places. I really wanted to be a child psychiatrist, I had a lot of unique childhood and consequent adult adversity. I’m trying to SOAP at the moment, it’s looking like family medicine is going to be the most plausible outcome.

Any hope of keeping the dream alive? How difficult is it to try to transfer into a psychiatry program after finishing intern year in family medicine? If it is possible, is there anything I should be doing in the upcoming year to help my chances?

I'm sorry you didn't match. Did you talk about the above on the interviews? If so, I would try not to talk about it if you apply psych after intern year.

Best of luck. Hope you get a spot next year!

Primary care delivers a large fraction of all psych care, wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more patients than psych sees overall. You’ll do much good where you’re planted and find ways to engage your passion whether you get a psych residency in the end or not.