Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hockeydentist

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN folks

I just need peoples feedback on what they think I should do.

Although I interviewed at 4 places this year, I want to plan a contigency plan in case dental school doesn't follow through this year.

option.1 hold off on applying to dental school for 2 years to get a masters degree in biochemistry or molecular biology.

option.2 Train and work in a dental lab and retake the DAT and try and score a higher score.

option3. go back to school take a semester of advanced sciences and retake the DAT .

any feedback would be great!
HD

Members don't see this ad.

hockeydentist said:
Hey SDN folks

Although I interviewed at 4 places this year, I want to plan a contigency plan in case dental school doesn't follow through this year.

option.1 hold off on applying to dental school for 2 years to get a masters degree in biochemistry or molecular biology.

option.2 Train and work in a dental lab and retake the DAT and try and score a higher score.

option3. go back to school take a semester of advanced sciences and retake the DAT .

HD

I am by no means an expert, but I think it depends on what you think the low point of your application is. If you have a low GPA then by all means choose option 1 or 3 and get that GPA up. I was not a science major in undergrad, so I had to do a year of post bac just to meet the requirements and thus lean more towards 3 than 1. HOWEVER, a masters probably does look better but I wouldn't want to wait two years.

If you have a good GPA and just your DAT is low, then option 2!!

BUT.... you will probably get in this year and not even have to worry about it.

frogger33 said:
I am by no means an expert, but I think it depends on what you think the low point of your application is. If you have a low GPA then by all means choose option 1 or 3 and get that GPA up. I was not a science major in undergrad, so I had to do a year of post bac just to meet the requirements and thus lean more towards 3 than 1. HOWEVER, a masters probably does look better but I wouldn't want to wait two years.

If you have a good GPA and just your DAT is low, then option 2!!

BUT.... you will probably get in this year and not even have to worry about it.

Agree with this.. I'm leaning more towards 3. It seemed that when I took a full load of science classes and did good, then the adcoms were impressed. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
The first time I applied I only had the required science classes, but a great DAT. After not being accepted I skipped a cycle and took Upper level(undergrad) classes that the school recommended. On their websites they list the required courses and some courses that will help : BIOCHEM, Histology, Physiology, Micro, Developmental,etc.... So I went back to my undergrad and took all of those classes, and did well. I went full time for two semesters 16+credits.

Some schools will let you register as a non-degree seeking student to take Grad level courses. I chose just to stay undergrad. On the application I marked that I was degree seeking, which allowed me to keep my senior status from my previous degree (loop hole :laugh: hahaha Bitches!) so I got first pick of all the classes I wanted.

airvent said:
Some schools will let you register as a non-degree seeking student to take Grad level courses. I chose just to stay undergrad. On the application I marked that I was degree seeking, which allowed me to keep my senior status from my previous degree (loop hole :laugh: hahaha Bitches!) so I got first pick of all the classes I wanted.
lmfao, that was funny, but even more so clever.

hockeydentist said:
Hey SDN folks

HD
option 4, be a pro hockey player and get to pick all the chicks you want.

Profchaos said:
option 4, be a pro hockey player and get to pick all the chicks you want.

great option, unfortunately there is no season this year.

Thanks again
HD

If you've thought about an alternative career choice that deals with the biochem/molecular bio field and plan on going into it if you don't get into dental school, then I say go for it. Otherwise, it will be a waste of your time to get a degree that you wont use. If you know that there are some science course grades are holding you back, then I'd do option 3. (it sounds like to me that your DAT score may be holding you back as well).

hockeydentist said:
Hey SDN folks

HD

Heya HD,

I'd vote for option3, but am still pullin' for you to get in this cycle!!

trypmo said:
Heya HD,

I'd vote for option3, but am still pullin' for you to get in this cycle!!

So you guys don't think I should get a masters! "huh" Thanks trypmo, wow its been a long time since you been on here. I know I hoping by the graces of god that I will be the last person to get a spot. I don't care just as long as I get to start dental school.

HD

I dont think a masters degree is really that important, Id go for option three as well. Im still pulling for you to get into this cycle too HD :)

I think that gettomg a masters is impressive. On every interview I attended, the adcom's seemed to like the fact that I was getting my masters. During the interview, a lot of time was taken up because they wanted me to talk about my research. However, I agree with another SDNer, if you are not interested in doing Mol.Bio type of work, then doing a masters in this area will be a waste of time.

Do you mind if you share ur stats. I am intrested in applying to UNC. I have low undergrad gpa. hence, i am thinking of getting my masters and improve my gpa and apply for the 2006 cycle. TIA to ur reply.

I am also in your position, and I went with options 2 and 3. I am currently working in a chemistry lab, racked up some more hours of shadowing and did a one month dental internship, reapply in May, plan to take Kaplan and retake my DATs in June, and plan to take a few upper level science courses in the fall for good measure. GPA is good (3.5), but my DAT score is terrible (18/18/16).