Optometrist working with Ophthalmologists -- Risks of being in Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catmina415

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm 27 and currently working in ophthalmic oncology as a technician. Recently I have been pondering the idea of going back to school and pursuing optometry. I'm not interested in performing surgeries but am interested in helping people manage their vision. Ideally, I would like to help people with diabetes, as a lot of my family members have diabetes and are not aware of how badly it can affect their vision. I wasn't as motivated about school in my early 20's as I feel now so I would need to bump up the grades from the classes I took in the past. I'm learning a lot about the eyes and it has really grab my interest.

The only worry I have, other than high tuition fees, is that it would be difficult to find a job as an optometrist. I look around online and don't find much options in my area (San Francisco). So I would probably need to start my own business, which I'm not excited about. If I become an optometrist I would love to join a group practice with other optometrists and possibly ophthalmologists.

My question is, how do-able is it to be part of a group practice or link up with an ophthalmologist? I just want to know the risks of finding stability in the field before I dive in head first. I am also trying to obtain my C.O.M.T (Certified Ophthalmic Medical Technologist) certification this year since I have been shadowing our medical technologist at work while she performs diagnostic tests on patients (A & B scan ultrasound, OPT/Wide Angle, Angios, Biometry, Fundus Pictures).

Members don't see this ad.

I frequent job boards a lot for the Bay Area and I don't see many positions, or very good positions, available too often.

Talking to classmates in the Bay Area, they say it is important to network to find jobs and looking at local optom societies. I never was able to find work in the Bay so I moved.