Optometrists affiliated with hospitals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smsc2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in high school volunteering at a hospital trying to figure out what career in medicine I will want to go into. Volunteering in a hospital I of course see MD, DO, DPM, PharmD, and occasionally I even see a DDS, however I have yet to see an OD on staff. Are optometrists affliated with hospitals? I am curious do they have any privligies at a hospital? Can they admit if someone has a serious eye infection? Obviously, I have alot of research to do, and weather or not they are affilated with hospitals it will not affect my decision to go into Optometry, this is just a question I wanna know the answer to.
Thanks

Also, obviously an OD can prescribe eye glasses. Are they allowed to prescribe medicine for an eye infection, or must a patient be referred to an MD?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally OD's are not affiliated with hospitals, although I have heard of a few rare cases.

it varies from state to state, but yes, ODs do prescribe medication, and not just for infections.

In for example, ODs can prescribe up to schedule 3 narcotics. MDs get schedule 2 narcotics, I think no one can prescribe schedule 1

Thanks for the quick response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear poster,

This would be a great question to ask Dr. Hom on these threads. He works in a hospital setting I believe. It is correct that it is not common. If you really want to work in the hospitals you will probably want an M.D.

Part of it I'm sure is the AMA's constant attack on Optometry.

Dear poster,

This would be a great question to ask Dr. Hom on these threads. He works in a hospital setting I believe. It is correct that it is not common. If you really want to work in the hospitals you will probably want an M.D.

Part of it I'm sure is the AMA's constant attack on Optometry.

I have some MD and DDS in my family so medicine has always been an intrest. As I stated earlier I am currently volunteering in a hospital. I am only in high school and realize that there is plenty of time. What is nice is that most medical/optometry schools require the same or similar prereqs so I should be fine to think about this decision during college. At first I was considering Pharmacy, but after speaking with a Pharmacist I realized it was not for me. (respectfully) I have spoken with many MD about a career as an MD and they have only encouraged me. I have never talked to an OD. Hopefully a practicing OD here can give me some encouragment. As the OP mentioned there is a Doctor on this board that works in a hospital as an OD, Dr. Hom? I hoping he can tell me the relationship he has with MD. Any other info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Also, are there any residencies in Optometry would I beable to take on a speicality in the field?

I have some MD and DDS in my family so medicine has always been an intrest. As I stated earlier I am currently volunteering in a hospital. I am only in high school and realize that there is plenty of time. What is nice is that most medical/optometry schools require the same or similar prereqs so I should be fine to think about this decision during college. At first I was considering Pharmacy, but after speaking with a Pharmacist I realized it was not for me. (respectfully) I have spoken with many MD about a career as an MD and they have only encouraged me. I have never talked to an OD. Hopefully a practicing OD here can give me some encouragment. As the OP mentioned there is a Doctor on this board that works in a hospital as an OD, Dr. Hom? I hoping he can tell me the relationship he has with MD. Any other info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Also, are there any residencies in Optometry would I beable to take on a speicality in the field?

Optometric residencies give you great experience but don't allow you to do anything extra, scope of practice wise. The most popular and numerous residencies are in ocular disease. These are usually at referal clinics or VA hospitals and give you experience in the rarer disease presentations. You can also choose residencies in Pediatrics/Binocular Vision, Low Vision Rehabilitation, Contact Lens/Cornea, and family practice. Yeah you've got plenty of time to decide, its great you're on the ball though. Just keep you GPA about 3.5 or above with a science major and you'll be able to choose whichever path you like.

Dr. Hom's website is: http://www.geocities.com/rchom/

Optometric residencies give you great experience but don't allow you to do anything extra, scope of practice wise. The most popular and numerous residencies are in ocular disease. These are usually at referal clinics or VA hospitals and give you experience in the rarer disease presentations. You can also choose residencies in Pediatrics/Binocular Vision, Low Vision Rehabilitation, Contact Lens/Cornea, and family practice. Yeah you've got plenty of time to decide, its great you're on the ball though. Just keep you GPA about 3.5 or above with a science major and you'll be able to choose whichever path you like.

Dr. Hom's website is: http://www.geocities.com/rchom/

Thank you, yes I recongnize there is plenty of time. Currently I am doing well in high school, however I am not burning myself out. I know I will beable to get WHERE I WANNA GO with a decent GPA in high school. I am amazed when I see classmates dissapointed at the fact that they recieved a B+. I also realize that grades are not the whole application. (at least for undergraduate) I will have a well balanced application, plenty of volunter hours, lots of letters of reccomendations, and a few extracurriculars. I plan on doing all my pre-reqs and hopefully a BS at a UC or CSU (not COMPLETLY sure which one), and then head onto a medical school. (when I say medical I mean OD, or MD) Again, I am working hard, but not burning myself out. I know what I need to get into an undergraduate college. Once I get into a university I plan on working VERY hard to get to where I wanna go.
Thanks again