Optometry Reapplicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2ndchanceopto

Reaction score
I applied to optometry schools last year and I did get into two schools (PCO and MCPHS) but the classes were filled because I applied late in the cycle. I did not get acceptances from other schools due to my low GPA. Now, I am in a 9 month Masters program and will be graduating in May.
I am unsure about when to apply during this 2018-2019 cycle as I wont have a proper new GPA until the first semester ends in December. At the same time, I do not want to apply late again and reduce my chances of getting in.
Any tips or ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to optometry schools last year and I did get into two schools (PCO and MCPHS) but the classes were filled because I applied late in the cycle. I did not get acceptances from other schools due to my low GPA. Now, I am in a 9 month Masters program and will be graduating in May.
I am unsure about when to apply during this 2018-2019 cycle as I wont have a proper new GPA until the first semester ends in December. At the same time, I do not want to apply late again and reduce my chances of getting in.
Any tips or ideas?
Hey! I’m in a similar boat:/ If you don’t mind me asking when did you submit your apps last cycle? And how were your stats? I’m gonna have to submit my apps around January but I’m worried I won’t get in

I submitted mine last cycle around February! I had a 2.9 GPA and 320 OAT but a lot of extra-curriculars.
How about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted mine last cycle around February! I had a 2.9 GPA and 320 OAT but a lot of extra-curriculars.
How about you?
I have around 3.1 for both science and overall and a 380 OAT. Honestly I’m nervous about not getting in because my grade trends aren’t consistent. To cushion that a bit, I took over 18 credits my last semester and did well. I’m not sure if that’ll help but fingers crossed lol

How many schools did you apply to last cycle?

I have around 3.1 for both science and overall and a 380 OAT. Honestly I’m nervous about not getting in because my grade trends aren’t consistent. To cushion that a bit, I took over 18 credits my last semester and did well. I’m not sure if that’ll help but fingers crossed lol
Do you have shadow experience or any experience related to optometry? I know that and letter of recs are what saved me and offset my low GPA.
I applied to 3 schools last cycle. Aiming for 5 this time. You?

Yes. I got interviews to PCO and MCPHS.

Im also a reapplicant for PCO. I applied in August and have not heard back yet. Gave them a call yesterday and told me I will hear back next but just a little worried. When did you hear back from them?

Im also a reapplicant for PCO. I applied in August and have not heard back yet. Gave them a call yesterday and told me I will hear back next but just a little worried. When did you hear back from them?
I havent applied this cycle yet!! Sorry!
I remember I got an interview like 2 weeks after submitting my application last cycle though. I'm sure you will hear back soon! What have you changed since the last time you applied?

I havent applied this cycle yet!! Sorry!
I remember I got an interview like 2 weeks after submitting my application last cycle though. I'm sure you will hear back soon! What have you changed since the last time you applied?

Are you going to be applying to PCO this cycle? Last cycle they emailed be about scheduling a interview the same day they received my application, which was back in February. So I was worried when I didn't hear back lol. I really haven't changed much in terms of GPA or OAT scores. When I called yesterday she said I don't need to do OAT again. The only thing that really changed is my job, from a Optometric tech to Ophthalmic technician.

Are you going to be applying to PCO this cycle? Last cycle they emailed be about scheduling a interview the same day they received my application, which was back in February. So I was worried when I didn't hear back lol. I really haven't changed much in terms of GPA or OAT scores. When I called yesterday she said I don't need to do OAT again. The only thing that really changed is my job, from a Optometric tech to Ophthalmic technician.
Yeah i will be! PCO is my top choice. Im just nervous bc im in a grad program and want to send in my grad gpa but that would have to be in like dec which is late in the cycle.

Yeah i will be! PCO is my top choice. Im just nervous bc im in a grad program and want to send in my grad gpa but that would have to be in like dec which is late in the cycle.
I have to wait till my fall grades are ready too:/ but someone on here said if you feel it’ll make you a better applicant, it might be better. Who knows I’m nervous too

I have to wait till my fall grades are ready too:/ but someone on here said if you feel it’ll make you a better applicant, it might be better. Who knows I’m nervous too
Thanks! Thats true. Good luck!!