Optometry School Entering Class of 2005 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpothosx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to make a thread that will outline who got accepted to what school. Post GPA, and OAT score and the schools you were accepted to. This may make it a little easier than searching through all the threads.

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted to PCO, my first choice :)

GPA: 3.0
Total science: 370
Academic Average: 340

I did so much better on the OAT than I thought.

------------------------------------------------
Pennsylvania College of Optometry-Class of 2009

GPA - 3.4
OAT - 340 Academic Avg
360 Total Science

Accepted to PCO
Waiting for Nova, UHCO, and SCO

Members don't see this ad :)
I am soooo excited to say that I just got accepted at SCO!! WOOHOO!
:clap:

GPA: 2.8 in chemistry
OAT: 320 overall
330 total science

GPA ~3.0
Science Total: 360
Academic Average: 350

Accepted: ICO, SUNY
Waitlisted/Alternate-listed: SCCO

GPA 3.48
Total science OAT 350
overall OAT 320

Applied: IU, OSU, SCO, SUNY, PCO
Accepted: IU, OSU, SCO- interviews remaining with SUNY and PCO next week

:laugh: I got accepted to nova with 3.7 gpa and 320 oat avg. Novas a nice school with beautiful campus and new everything.

gpa: 3.7
oat: 330
accepted to ico, my first choice

gpa: 3.6 (major: biology)
oat: 350
total science: 370

accepted at Ohio State!! :)

GPA: 2.8 in chemistry
OAT: 320 overall
330 total science[/QUOTE]

Gongrats. Did you get accepted to any other schools? Just wondering. Thanks....

Going to SCO!!!!!

GPA: 3.28
OAT: 360 Science/350 A.A.

Also accepted by UHCO and NOVA.
Interview Offers from SUNY and PCO but declined them.

GPA: 3.0
Science OAT: 370
Academic Average: 350

Accepted to NEWCO
Interviewed and Waiting for SUNY
Interviewing at SCCO (top choice)

GPA: 3.38 (Neuroscience)
Science OAT: 340
Overall : 320
Accepted to SUNY

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: 3.3
OAT average: 320
OAT science: 320

Accepted to PCO and NECO...going to PCO, my first choice!! :D

xpothosx said:
Just wanted to make a thread that will outline who got accepted to what school. Post GPA, and OAT score and the schools you were accepted to. This may make it a little easier than searching through all the threads.

GPA: 3.1 (biology)
OAT: 300
accepted to: SCCO
waiting for: Pacific, UC Berkeley :luck:

i was accepted to SUNY, ICO, PCO, and NOVA
gpa-3.56 (psych major and minor in biochem pharm)
science gpa- 3.1
oat (overall)- 330
oat (science)-340

glad to say that i will be attending SUNY this august. YAY!!

Did anyone here interviewed before receiving your OAT scores and have received an acceptance in the past few days? I understand that schools received our OAT's last Friday, I'm just wondering how fast do they make decisions after that? If you did get an acceptance this week, what school was that from?

Thanks

od2b77 said:
Did anyone here interviewed before receiving your OAT scores and have received an acceptance in the past few days? I understand that schools received our OAT's last Friday, I'm just wondering how fast do they make decisions after that? If you did get an acceptance this week, what school was that from?

Thanks

I interviewed before receiving my OAT scores, and I was accepted to Ohio State this past Monday.

I got interviews at SUNY and NECO before my OAT scores came out and got accepted to NECO last week.

Hopefully I can add my name to this list this year!!!!

:thumbup: I got an acceptance letter from UHCO in the mail today! :clap: :hardy: :clap:

J.opt said:
:thumbup: I got an acceptance letter from UHCO in the mail today! :clap: :hardy: :clap:

Congrats :)

How did you end up doing on your OAT and what was your GPA, if you don't mind sharing.

I got accepted to PCO

G.P.A: 3.2
OAT Science: 340
OAT Average: 300 (Yeah Physics and QR really nipped me in the bud)

It seems that I am not as good of a test taker as those of you on this board. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted to Optometry school. To those of you who are still waiting for the good news, DON'T give up. You might not get into your first choice school, but you need to be persistent!

"This world is not perfect; that is what makes it so beautiful." ~Full Metal Alchemist

PLPrincess said:
Congrats :)

How did you end up doing on your OAT and what was your GPA, if you don't mind sharing.
cpw said:
Yay J.Opt !!! I'm SOOOO happy for you !!! :clap: :hardy:
Thank you girls! I really excited too! :D

I got a 290 on my OAT (I’m really embarrassed about this score) and my GPA is 3.53. But I feel that I am above average when it comes to opt experience, and other factors considered.

Yayyyyy :clap: :hardy:

J.opt said:

I got a 290 on my OAT (I’m really embarrassed about this score) and my GPA is 3.53. But I feel that I am above average when it comes to opt experience, and other factors considered.

Are you a 3rd year or 4th?

Don't be embarrassed, all that matters is that you got in.

PLPrincess said:
Are you a 3rd year or 4th?

Don't be embarrassed, all that matters is that you got in.
I am a 4th year.

J.opt said:

and all that time spent on your personal statements ;) :D

Woohoo!!! I got into ICO!!! :D :D :D
Have an interview scheduled with SCCO as well. Really feels good knowing that I'll be going to optometry school for sure :D
Thanks everybody for all the helpful info.
And I have another couple of questions:
ICO gives 30 days to send in the deposit, but I probably won't know SCCO decision until then. If both schools accept me, I'm not sure which one I'll choose yet, but if I'll choose SCCO, is there anyway to postpone sending the deposit or no? How do you guys deal with this issue?
Another question: I've been comparing ICO and SCCO 1st year curriculum and I noticed that basic sciences that are taught everywhere (anatomy, biochem, optics...) are taught in less # of hours per week at SCCO. For example, at ICO, Anatomy is 4 hours of lecture and at SCCO its only 3. Biochem is 4 hours a week vs 2 hours at SCCO. Does that mean that SCCO crams the same amount of material in less time? Or do they cover less material?

SCCO is in quarters... so you'll just take more quarters instead of a whole semester. That's probably where the discrepancy is.

Making a list :

PCO : NYCBlues , xpothosx , meb302 , Phillygirl98, dj1013 , JapAnime

SCO : chemgirlie , meb302 , carolinakid21

ICO : stompy , scraders, dj1013 , od2b77

IU : meb302

OSU : meb302 , leelee

SUNY : meb302 , noochie , dj1013

NOVA : judgeanna , carolinakid21 , dj1013

UHCO : carolinakid21 , J.Opt

NEWENCO : purplehaze98 , Phillygirl98

SCCO : chester

cpw said:
SCCO is in quarters... so you'll just take more quarters instead of a whole semester. That's probably where the discrepancy is.

Actually both, SCCO and ICO have 3 quarters during the 1st year. I'm assuming they last about the same amount of time... I don't think its possible for SCCO to cover less info then ICO, so I wonder if SCCO is harder than ICO as they cover the material in less time. :confused:

cpw said:
Making a list :

UHCO : carolinakid21 , J.Opt

NEWENCO : purplehaze98 , Phillygirl98

SCCO : chester

nice list cpw..we should make one that has where everyone decides to go so that those people can keep in touch or something like that..I guess a poll? It would have to wait for the coming months I guess until more people get accepted and then decide..good luck everyone still waiting/applying! :)

Phillygirl98 said:
nice list cpw..we should make one that has where everyone decides to go so that those people can keep in touch or something like that..I guess a poll? It would have to wait for the coming months I guess until more people get accepted and then decide..good luck everyone still waiting/applying! :)

or.. just requote the list.. and add (attending) next to your name.

Don't do it!!! It's not too late!!! Save yourselves!!! :smuggrin:

hahahaha just kidding...

It's nice to see so many new people on the optometry forum this year -- I think this is the most we've had since I started coming here! :)

r_salis said:
Don't do it!!! It's not too late!!! Save yourselves!!! :smuggrin:

hahahaha just kidding...

It's nice to see so many new people on the optometry forum this year -- I think this is the most we've had since I started coming here! :)

yes, it really gives me that warm fuzzy kind of feeling :love:

GPA 3.4
OAT Academic: 360
OAT science: 360

Accepted at UH, SCCO, NEWENCO!! Cancelled other interviews as UH is first choice......

Making a list :

UHCO : carolinakid21 , J.Opt , nnk

NEWENCO : purplehaze98 , Phillygirl98 , nnk

SCCO : chester , nnk

Accepted to UHCO! Thank goodness, since that is the only place I'm applying!
GPA: 3.7
OAT AA: 380
OAT TS: 380

Making a list : (* = student will accept admission and attend school)

PCO : NYCBlues (*) , xpothosx , meb302 , Phillygirl98(*), dj1013 , JapAnime(*)

SCO : chemgirlie(*) , meb302 , carolinakid21(*)

ICO : stompy , scraders(*), dj1013 , od2b77

OSU : meb302 , leelee(*)

SUNY : meb302 , noochie(*) , dj1013(*)

UHCO : carolinakid21 , J.Opt , nnk(*) , AggieOD2B (*)

i will be attending PCO since it is my first choice school. :)

od2b77 said:
Woohoo!!! I got into ICO!!! :D :D :D
Have an interview scheduled with SCCO as well. Really feels good knowing that I'll be going to optometry school for sure :D
Thanks everybody for all the helpful info.
And I have another couple of questions:
ICO gives 30 days to send in the deposit, but I probably won't know SCCO decision until then. If both schools accept me, I'm not sure which one I'll choose yet, but if I'll choose SCCO, is there anyway to postpone sending the deposit or no? How do you guys deal with this issue?
Another question: I've been comparing ICO and SCCO 1st year curriculum and I noticed that basic sciences that are taught everywhere (anatomy, biochem, optics...) are taught in less # of hours per week at SCCO. For example, at ICO, Anatomy is 4 hours of lecture and at SCCO its only 3. Biochem is 4 hours a week vs 2 hours at SCCO. Does that mean that SCCO crams the same amount of material in less time? Or do they cover less material?

You can't delay when you send your deposit in, but you can get part or all of it back depending on when you let them know if you are going to withdraw.

od2b77 said:

Hi:

Try calling ICO to get an extension for the deposit. I spoke with Dr. Harris from ICO since I was accepted fairly early (first part of October) and he agreed to postpone me accepting the seat and sending in the deposit until January 1.

I'm not sure if SCCO will allow you to do the same thing. You can always withdraw your acceptance later on but you may lose part of your deposit. I accepted a seat at SUNY temporarily and later withdrew without any fault (I received my full deposit of $500 back).

- Rosanna

I put a deposit down on SCCO when I got accepted. then, I got most of it back when i withdrew my seat to go to UHCO. (but i didn't get all of it back )

So I checked with the school and at this point, you cannot get an extension, but I'll get $250 of it back if I'll let them know by 3/15. So I'm sending $500 to ICO tomorrow. Even if I'll lose $250, its ok since I only applied to 2 schools and my parents live in Chicago, so I did not spend any $ on a hotel. Basically, relatively to what I hear people are spending on the application process, I got off easy. :cool:

od2b77 said:
So I checked with the school and at this point, you cannot get an extension, but I'll get $250 of it back if I'll let them know by 3/15. So I'm sending $500 to ICO tomorrow. Even if I'll lose $250, its ok since I only applied to 2 schools and my parents live in Chicago, so I did not spend any $ on a hotel. Basically, relatively to what I hear people are spending on the application process, I got off easy. :cool:

I got an acceptance from NOVA this past week!! I also got interviews from SCO and NSU(Oklahoma)! But still waiting for UHCO.

Making a list : (* = student will accept admission and attend school)

PCO : NYCBlues (*) , xpothosx , meb302 , Phillygirl98(*), dj1013 , JapAnime(*)

SCO : chemgirlie(*) , meb302 , carolinakid21(*)

ICO : stompy , scraders(*), dj1013 , od2b77

OSU : meb302 , leelee(*)

SUNY : meb302 , noochie(*) , dj1013(*)

NOVA : judgeanna , carolinakid21 , dj1013 , xopthosx

UHCO : carolinakid21 , J.Opt , nnk(*) , AggieOD2B (*)

Status
Not open for further replies.