Optometry School Entering Class of 2005 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
xpothosx said:
UHCO: carolinakid21 , J.opt(*) , nnk(*) , AggieOD2B (*), rockets82(*), xpothosx(*)
Add me to the list for UHCO Class of 2009! Its my final choice. Shout out to all the UHCO peeps!
Whoho! Congrats :D :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

2005 Entering Class----

PCO: NYCBlues(*) , xpothosx , meb302 , Phillygirl98(*), dj1013 , JapAnime(*), MRFREEZE, jb4teen, Kristene9, akwong44(*), cunikki

SCO: chemgirlie(*) , meb302 , carolinakid21(*), Bennyboy(*)

ICO: stompy , scraders(*), dj1013 , od2b77, MRFREEZE

IU: meb302, beaneek, keara7282(*)

OSU: meb302(*) , leelee(*)

SUNY: meb302 , noochie(*) , dj1013(*), hcheng, stompy(*)

NOVA: judgeanna , carolinakid21 , dj1013 , xpothosx , jeffy1126(*) , jb4teen , chemgirlie , wrx04, J.opt, MRFREEZE , KwijiboOO

UHCO: carolinakid21 , J.opt(*) , nnk(*) , AggieOD2B (*), rockets82(*), xpothosx(*)

NEWENCO: purplehaze98 , Phillygirl98 , nnk, cunikki, MRFREEZE , fluteangel01

SCCO: chester , nnk, od2b77(*) , bravehrt

Pacific: Kristene9

Members don't see this ad :)
cpw said:
2005 Entering Class----

PCO: NYCBlues(*) , xpothosx , meb302 , Phillygirl98(*), dj1013 , JapAnime(*), MRFREEZE, jb4teen, Kristene9, akwong44(*), cunikki

NOVA: judgeanna , carolinakid21 , dj1013 , xpothosx , jeffy1126(*) , jb4teen , chemgirlie , wrx04, J.opt, MRFREEZE , KwijiboOO

SCCO: chester , nnk, od2b77(*) , bravehrt

Why did you decide on NOVA? I'm just curious.

2005 Entering Class----

SCCO: chester , nnk, od2b77(*) , bravehrt, cunikki

rockets82 said:
Just found out about this forum today...I too will be going to UHCO. :D
hey rockets82, congrats on your acceptance. let us know if we can help in any way

ojo :cool:
UHCO Class of 2008

I spoke to a Dr. Van Sluyters of Berkeley today, and...I was offered Early Acceptance and a 1st year scholarship!!!!!! This may sound crazy to some, but it's going to be a tough decision if I also get accepted at UHCO, which seems likely b/c my interviewer told me to expect good news soon. The tuition and cost of living is a lot less since I live in Houston. Any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions? Anyone been in this situation? It would be so much easier if I got a rejection from UHCO...I actually know someone who's been rejected by UHCO and accepted by Berkeley.

I also want to thank all of you here in this community. I'm a total lurker and the information I've gained here is invaluable. So THANKS!!!

mtong said:
Any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions?

Hi:

Cost is a big issue so consider how much you will have in debt at each school when you graduate.

For Berkeley, take into account that the tuition is currently $15,000/year for residents of CA. Since you are from TX, out-of-state tuition is $27,000 (that does NOT include a mandatory proof of medical insurance you must have, if you buy coverage from the school, it will cost an additional $916/year). So it will be around $27,000 – scholarship amount + 3($15,000). That will be an approximate amount for tuition alone. Tuition at UCBSO has been increasing pretty dramatically since I started school. The fees have increased 30% since I was a first year. Now, we have a “compact” with the governor that fees are stable but nothing is written for sure. We’re hoping to keep tuition still around $15,000/year but that is no guarantee at this point.

I’m assuming you are a resident of TX, so tuition is going to be 4x$13,701 (based on the amount listed on opted.org).

Housing is a big issue at Berkeley. If you want to live close to the campus, you will probably be paying monthly around $600 (sharing apartment, South Side of Berkeley) to $1,000 (sharing apartment, West Side of Berkeley). North side can get really expensive so I won’t even list that. You have to consider if you’ll be driving or not. Parking usually is not included in your rent, so that can cost around $50-$100 extra per month depending on the landlord. If you want to live a little further away from school so rent is cheaper, then you may have to buy a parking permit. That will cost around $700-$850 for the academic school year.

Based on cost alone, UHCO seems like a better choice. You are from the area so you have a support system which you will need. Consider where your family and your friends are, and how you like UHCO’s campus and if you feel the most comfortable there.

Side note, my classmate was rejected from SCCO and got into Berkeley.

Good luck,

Rosanna

Also - People give up their seats all the time and sometimes it happens really last minute. I gave up my seat at SCCO in July so I know someone from the waiting list must have been happy about that. A person I know was at the airport on her way to move to Chicago to attend ICO a few years ago. Right before boarding, she got the call from SCCO that she was accepted off their wait-list. She didn't take the flight and is now a 4th year student at SCCO.

mtong said:
I spoke to a Dr. Van Sluyters of Berkeley today, and...I was offered Early Acceptance and a 1st year scholarship!!!!!!

Awesome! I think you're the first UCB acceptance on this forum this year :thumbup: .

UCB v. UHCO doesn't sound crazy at all, so just take your time weighing your options. You'll know which decision is right for you. From what I can tell, both offer exceptional educations, so it's just the other stuff--family, financial, gut instinct-- left to consider.

Congrats again!

polkadot.

Yay, that means ppl who got accepted to SCCO might relinquish their seats to go to Berkeley.

I just interviewed at Michigan College of Optometry today and they gave me an acceptance letter! Although it was my first interview, I think I did a decent job because of this forum and all the great feedback. I have interviews the end of this month with Berkeley and SUNY so we'll see how those go.

GPA: 3.7 (psych major, bio minor)
Science GPA: 3.55
OAT AA: 340
OAT TS: 360

I've been accepted to NOVA and just found out today that I have been accepted to SCCO! woo hoo. :p

which one would you go?

Members don't see this ad :)
After a lot of thought, I'm sending in my deposit for -- UCBSO!!! It was an incredibly difficult choice for me but now that I've made up my mind, I'm very excited. Thank you Rosanna for all of your helpful emails/posts. Hope to see you in the Fall, mtong!

Here's my stats, if it helps others:

Major: B.A. in Literature and History I graduated a few years back and had to take the majority of my science pre-reqs at the local cc. Apparently, the schools were absolutely fine with that so for others who are in/were in the same situation, no need to worry!
GPA: 3.4
OAT AA: 350, TS: 340 See, here's the thing. I bombed my OChem section and got below 300 mainly because I hadn't taken OChem yet. I thought for sure that score would cut me off of Berkeley's list...but I was wrong, so have hope if you didn't do well in a section like me!! :laugh:
Schools applied and accepted to: UCBSO, SCCO, and Pacific

NYCBlues said:
I got accepted to PCO, my first choice :)

GPA: 3.0
Total science: 370
Academic Average: 340

I did so much better on the OAT than I thought.

------------------------------------------------
Pennsylvania College of Optometry-Class of 2009

:laugh:

I'm in PCO's Class of 2008 and I'm also from NYC. Congratulations on ur acceptance to your first choice! Here's my 2 cents: To be prepared for ur upcoming crazy year, start studying: Anatomy of the head and Neck, Biochemistry, Genetics, Basic stuff on Immunology, Pathology, Histology, and Physiology. Just my word of advice. If you get a little familiar with all of these, u will ride smoothly the first semester, unlike me! haha... In terms of optics, I suggest you to get a tutor, even if you're good at physics, just coz there usually aren't enough optics tutors, and if u don't request them early enough, u probably wouldn't get one.

dooni said:
:laugh:

I'm in PCO's Class of 2008 and I'm also from NYC. Congratulations on ur acceptance to your first choice! Here's my 2 cents: To be prepared for ur upcoming crazy year, start studying: Anatomy of the head and Neck, Biochemistry, Genetics, Basic stuff on Immunology, Pathology, Histology, and Physiology. Just my word of advice. If you get a little familiar with all of these, u will ride smoothly the first semester, unlike me! haha... In terms of optics, I suggest you to get a tutor, even if you're good at physics, just coz there usually aren't enough optics tutors, and if u don't request them early enough, u probably wouldn't get one.

Thank for the heads up dooni. I guess I will start my reviewing asap. I'll be going to PCO this fall. I just have a question of what do we need to focus on in Biochemistry? I had a really bad teacher in biochemistry. I mean she was probably good at teaching some other biology course...just not biochem. I hope you're not going to tell me to know everything....yikes :scared:

Thanks again

GPA: 3.42
OAT: 340 (might've been 360...I'm getting scores mixed up in my head)
Applied: UAB and SCO
Accepted: UAB and SCO........going to SCO!

I graduated from Clemson University with a BS in Biological Sciences. I am a resident of South Carolina. I had a tough time deciding between SCO and UAB, but I don't think someone can go wrong with either one.

Hi, I'm just trying to get some extra input for my final decision between scco and suny. Any thoughts about the good/bad of each school?

JSH_0909 said:
Hi, I'm just trying to get some extra input for my final decision between scco and suny. Any thoughts about the good/bad of each school?
haha its hard to imagine that you dont have a preference based on visitng? personally i think that they are both excellent schools and youwill probably be fine at either. for me when it came down to choosing you can look at other little things... do you want to live in the middle of nyc or in a suburban area? i think scco's clinical lab is incredible (brand new) and i also like how many business oriented classes they offer compared to some other schools. it kinda also comes down to money; it might be cheaper to live in cali but maybe you can get instate from ny after the first year? whatever you decide... lemme know : )heheh
i finally made my decision.... SCCO class of 2009! : )woo hoo!

2005 Entering Class----

PCO: NYCBlues(*) , xpothosx , meb302 , Phillygirl98(*), dj1013 , JapAnime(*), MRFREEZE, jb4teen, Kristene9, akwong44(*), cunikki , kwijiboOO

SCO: chemgirlie(*) , meb302 , carolinakid21(*), Bennyboy(*), stevec (*)

SUNY: meb302 , noochie(*) , dj1013(*), hcheng, stompy(*) , JSH_0909

NOVA: judgeanna , carolinakid21 , dj1013 , xpothosx , jeffy1126(*) , jb4teen , chemgirlie , wrx04, J.opt, MRFREEZE , KwijiboOO, rocksurfSD

SCCO: chester , nnk, od2b77(*) , bravehrt , rocksurfSD , HYCW , JSH_0909 , cunikki (*)

Pacific: Kristene9 , HYCW

Ferris (MCO): ning

UAB: stevec

UCBSO: HYCW(*)

Hell Yeah !!

Accepted to IU

Go HOOSIERS !!! :thumbup:

2005 Entering Class----

PCO: NYCBlues(*) , xpothosx , meb302 , Phillygirl98(*), dj1013 , JapAnime(*), MRFREEZE, jb4teen, Kristene9, akwong44(*), cunikki , kwijiboOO

IU: meb302, beaneek, keara7282(*) , kaostonite

SUNY: meb302 , noochie(*) , dj1013(*), hcheng, stompy(*) , JSH_0909

NOVA: judgeanna , carolinakid21 , dj1013 , xpothosx , jeffy1126(*) , jb4teen , chemgirlie , wrx04, J.opt, MRFREEZE , KwijiboOO, rocksurfSD

NEWENCO: purplehaze98 , Phillygirl98 , nnk, cunikki, MRFREEZE , fluteangel01(*)

SCCO: chester , nnk, od2b77(*) , bravehrt , rocksurfSD , HYCW , JSH_0909 , cunikki (*)

Ferris (MCO): ning

UAB: stevec

Just wanted to post that i will be accepting admission to NECO :)

Im attending suny in fall 2005 as a first year student. future class mates feel free to hit me up.

kaostonite said:
Hell Yeah !!

Accepted to IU

Go HOOSIERS !!! :thumbup:

Congrats. I am pretty sure you will love it here

I just found out I was accepted to UAB!!! :D

This is going to be a hard choice. Any input on ether UAB, UHCO, and Pacific??? I haven't been accepted by UHCO, but I really think I will. Everything sounded very positive at my exit interview.

I'm a Texas resident, and although I love Texas, I dont want to go back to Texas because I want to be on my own and away from family, so claiming residence for money reasons wont keep me in Texas. But I actually really liked the school :)

and I've always wanted to live in the northwest (but this isn't the best reason for picking an optometry school)

So any thoughts???

Also just so everyone knows,
GPA 3.48
OAT 330 Science, 330 total

Thank you for all your help! :)

Just got my acceptance letter this morning! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!
:clap:

It's my first choice school so I will be accepting, but I'm still interviewing at ICO on Monday....

My GPA is 3.4 something or other
My overall OAT was too crappy to mention
2+ years experience
3rd year student

Anyone else attending NECO in the fall????

PLPrincess said:
Just got my acceptance letter this morning! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!
:clap:

It's my first choice school so I will be accepting, but I'm still interviewing at ICO on Monday....

My GPA is 3.4 something or other
My overall OAT was too crappy to mention
2+ years experience
3rd year student

Anyone else attending NECO in the fall????

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

ODra said:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

THANKS!
I hope you'll be hearing good news from them as well! (my decision took 2 weeks)

That is great PLPrincess! This gives me some hope as well. It seems like our stats are pretty comparable (I am a 3rd year, have 2.5 years of optometry experience, nearly a 4.0 GPA, and a 290 OAT). I still haven't gotten acceptance to where I am wanting to attend (I only applied to 1 optometry school). Hopefully I will hear some good news within the next couple of months. But for now, I continue to play the waiting game. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted. :)

pre-opt said:
That is great PLPrincess! This gives me some hope as well. It seems like our stats are pretty comparable (I am a 3rd year, have 2.5 years of optometry experience, nearly a 4.0 GPA, and a 290 OAT). I still haven't gotten acceptance to where I am wanting to attend (I only applied to 1 optometry school). Hopefully I will hear some good news within the next couple of months. But for now, I continue to play the waiting game. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted. :)

Where did you apply?

I am applying to UM-St. Louis. At this point, they just told me to retake the OAT (which I did on Feb 5) in order to strengthen my candidancy. Since you got in to NECO, are you going to retake the OAT? For your sake, hopefully not.

pre-opt said:
I am applying to UM-St. Louis. At this point, they just told me to retake the OAT (which I did on Feb 5) in order to strengthen my candidancy. Since you got in to NECO, are you going to retake the OAT? For your sake, hopefully not.

I think it's gonna depend on my mood on Tuesday morning...I might just for the fact that a lot of the scholarships I looked at for NECO require a 300+ OAT...but some where GPA based. At this point I don't know...I guess since I can't get my 185 refunded I might as well take it.

GPA: 3.28
OAT: TS 350 and AA 340

Accepted: SCCO, ICO, NEWENCO and UHCO

texnnawlins said:
GPA: 3.28
OAT: TS 350 and AA 340

Accepted: SCCO, ICO, NEWENCO and UHCO

Congrats! have you picked which one you want to go to?

I got my acceptance letter today to NECO!! PHEW its such a great relief. I will be accepting admissions. Cant wait to meet everyone on this forum that will be going there :D

GPA: 3.2
OAT science: 350
Average: 350

Applied at Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Ohio State. Accepted at Michigan and Ohio State. Going to Ohio, my first pick!!! :)

ODra said:
I got my acceptance letter today to NECO!! PHEW its such a great relief. I will be accepting admissions. Cant wait to meet everyone on this forum that will be going there :D

:clap: YAY! we're gonna be classmates :)

Attending: SUNY; Accepted: UAB, IU, PCO
GPA: 3.4; Pre-requisite GPA: 3.7
OAT: AA 350, TS 380
Maybe we could start new threads for the future and current students of each school.

2005 Entering Class----

PCO: NYCBlues(*) , xpothosx , meb302 , Phillygirl98(*), dj1013 , JapAnime(*), MRFREEZE, jb4teen, Kristene9, akwong44(*), cunikki , kwijiboOO , amy13, bigred

ICO: stompy , scraders(*), dj1013 , od2b77, MRFREEZE , texnnawlins

IU: meb302, beaneek, keara7282(*) , kaostonite, bigred

OSU: meb302(*) , leelee(*) , ErinMB(*)

SUNY: meb302 , noochie(*) , dj1013(*), hcheng, stompy(*) , JSH_0909 , raypirozzolo(*), bigred(*)

UHCO: carolinakid21 , J.opt(*) , nnk(*) , AggieOD2B (*), rockets82(*), xpothosx(*) , texnnawlins

NEWENCO: purplehaze98 , Phillygirl98 , nnk, cunikki, MRFREEZE , fluteangel01(*) , PLPrincess(*) , texnnawlins , ODra(*)

SCCO: chester , nnk, od2b77(*) , bravehrt , rocksurfSD , HYCW , JSH_0909 , cunikki (*) , texnnawlins

Ferris (MCO): ning , ErinMD

UAB: stevec , Kristene9 , bigred

I notice each school I applied to calculates GPA differently, so...

GPA: UCLA (Psychobio major) overall -- 3.48
OAT: TS -- 380; AA -- 370
Accepted to: SCO
Waiting to hear from: UCBSO, ICO -- although ICO said I should find out sometime this week, and it's Thursday today :)
Declining interview: PUCO, and possibly SCCO (it's so expensive compared to SCO)

Hey! I just wanted to ask you why you chose to go to ICO. I have also been accepted there this year and I can't seem to make up my mind. I am fairly positive I will end up there but I would like your input. The two things I am most concerned about is the high tuition and the weather. What do you think? :)

scraders said:
gpa: 3.7
oat: 330
accepted to ico, my first choice

GPA: 3.25
Total Science OAT: 330
Academic Average: 340
Accepted to Southern College of Optometry (only school I applied to)

cfast said:
Hey! I just wanted to ask you why you chose to go to ICO. I have also been accepted there this year and I can't seem to make up my mind. I am fairly positive I will end up there but I would like your input. The two things I am most concerned about is the high tuition and the weather. What do you think? :)

i chose ico because i'm from chicago, so i'll be very close to my family. their support is very important to me.

i'm really bad when it comes my financial aid (my parents usually take care of that), but i didn't let the tuition play a huge factor in my choice. ico has a really good reputation for its optometric education, so i'm sure that the cost will be worth it.

i like chicago's weather. you get to experience the best and worst of all four seasons. if you're from a very warm area, it might take some time to get used to...but it won't be a difficult task. i know people from dallas who have adjusted well to the winter climate.

I am having a very hard time deciding which school to attend...PCO or NEWENCO.

I live in NY and i would love to move to a different city but the school's reputation is also very important to me. Any advice that can help make my decision is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

And congrats to everyone who has been accepted!!!
To those who didn't this time around, don't give up...I got rejected last year and now I have a choice! Follow your dreams :love:

GracieNY said:

I live in NY and i would love to move to a different city but the school's reputation is also very important to me. Any advice that can help make my decision is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

To those who didn't this time around, don't give up...I got rejected last year and now I have a choice! Follow your dreams :love:

I've been to both and I definitely like NECO better. I think the people are nicer, the environment is more friendly and Boston is a great city. As far as the educational experience, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Clinical was very important to me and I think both schools prepare their students well in that area. Just my two cents...

GracieNY said:

Hey..I've been to both too but I definitely liked PCO better. I felt that they were more organized and challenging. For lack of better words I felt like Newenco was more desperate for people where PCO was more choosy in who they accept. I have heard that PCO is hands down a better school clinically speaking from an optometrist that I've worked with. I guess it all depends on who you talk to and your actual feel for both. I liked PCO's 1 and a half year externships too. Boston costs more...it's colder too..haha. Just my two cents...if it wasnt obvious...I chose PCO over Newenco. I think the fact that I am a Philly native biased my choice as well. Good luck with ur decision making! :)

Hehe, when I was at the open house at PCO, I felt like they were the desparate ones...Also, I don't think that any optometrist you work with will put down their school, I work with 2 that went to NECO and absolutely loved it, I worked with one that went to ICO and loved it, and spoke to one that went to PCO and loved it....What they all agreed on was that all three schools are good, and that students who graduate from them have much better clinical experience than the ones from many other schools.

Weather wise the two cities will be about the same, but I think Boston is the nicer and safer one.

Go with the school that "felt right" to you :)

Does anyone on this forum know how many students PCO accepted?

Status
Not open for further replies.