Optometry School Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeminoleSteve

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a touchy subject, but are there any rankings of Optometry schools? US News generally ranks colleges, grad schools, etc... but they leave out optometry. Would anyone know which schools put out the best clinicians?

Members don't see this ad.

Based on requirements and difficulty of admissions, I'd say either Berkely or Ohio State University.

OSU has a very impressive record.
But I want to go to PCO. Easier to get in plus I like PA :)

I'm biased, but I would say PCO has one of the best clinical programs, only b/c of the new curriculum.

We start externships our 3rd year, therefore get more clinical experience. We also start seeing our own patients in January of our 2nd year, i.e doing a full dilated exam ourselves. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
there are no official rankings for optometry school because there are only like 19 total. each school has their own good and bad, so it's whatever school that suits you the best.

boston is the best place to go to buy your degree because you dont need high marks

i went to an interview at boston, and they were trying to sell me the school instead of ask me who i was. sheesh!

i know 2 girls who go to boston (they're almost done): Layli T., and Andrea C.
they both were accepted with very very very low averages. Below 2.1 GPA!

I recommend boston for a breeze school.

Dont go to schools like PCO, ICO, or Berkeley because the work is TOO HARD! :thumbdown:

drbizzaro said:
Dont go to schools like PCO, ICO, or Berkeley because the work is TOO HARD! :thumbdown:

haha, yes it is tough at PCO but the work is DOABLE! :)

christie said:
haha, yes it is tough at PCO but the work is DOABLE! :)

i'm sure it is... :rolleyes: but i think it's always best to slide (especially since i'm sure we're all still young - in our 20's or early 30's....)

this is the best time of our lives! enjoy it... by enjoying your time outside... instead of time inside studying! :cool:

that's why boston is really :thumbup: for it's easy level of course work... you can basically skip all classes and ace the finals! that's something that simply CANNOT be done at PCO, ICO, or berkeley!

Hey

I'm actually applying to PCO and NEWENCO and it's interesting to hear taht info about Boston being easier. I live near PCO and actually prefer going there..I'm used to hard work anyway..I'm sure the work is def much harder than undergrad but I'm looking forward to the challenge :D Do you like it there Christie? I scheduled a visit for the 23rd and am looking forward to seeing the campus.

drbizzaro said:
i'm sure it is... :rolleyes: but i think it's always best to slide (especially since i'm sure we're all still young - in our 20's or early 30's....)

this is the best time of our lives! enjoy it... by enjoying your time outside... instead of time inside studying! :cool:

that's why boston is really :thumbup: for it's easy level of course work... you can basically skip all classes and ace the finals! that's something that simply CANNOT be done at PCO, ICO, or berkeley!

ummmmm yeah, you can't skip all your classes at UHCO either.... it's TOUGH!!

drbizzaro said:
boston is the best place to go to buy your degree because you dont need high marks

i went to an interview at boston, and they were trying to sell me the school instead of ask me who i was. sheesh!

i know 2 girls who go to boston (they're almost done): Layli T., and Andrea C.
they both were accepted with very very very low averages. Below 2.1 GPA!

I recommend boston for a breeze school.

DrBizarro: Just curious, are you an optometry student? And if so, what school do you attend, if you don't mind me asking. Your comments about Boston are interesting. I tend to agree with them. I kind of feel similar with a couple of other O.D. schools. When I interviewed around, it felt more like they were saying "please come to our school", rather than asking me questions to see if I "deserved" to go to their school.
At first I thought maybe they were just friendly, and trying to get to know me so they could make an informed decision...but later I started thinking that they didn't have enough qualified applicants to fill their spots, so they really were trying to talk me into going to their school.

My .02 cents.

Unless either of you are attending the school first hand, it is not wise to assume you look like an assume w/out the (ume)

boston bound said:
Unless either of you are attending the school first hand, it is not wise to assume you look like an assume w/out the (ume)

i go to boston, and it's the easiest thing since grade school!

ask anyone else who goes to boston, and if they have friends at PCO, ICO, or berkeley, they WILL ALL SAY that the coursework at boston is a breeze through...

it's almost as if it's a bird-optometry course (all in one)

But that's how i like it.... breeze by... because breezing leaves time for other stuff...

Members don't see this ad :)
Potato! said:
I kind of feel similar with a couple of other O.D. schools. When I interviewed around, it felt more like they were saying "please come to our school", rather than asking me questions to see if I "deserved" to go to their school.

dude, what other schools do you think are cake-walk schools? i've only felt boston was a school where you had your cake and could eat it too (no need to study, and still get an A)

we can eliminate PCO, ICO, and Berkeley. Which ones are you thinking are easy schools?

dr.bizzaro
are you talking about NEWENCO being really easy? or is there another opt school in boston?

I might have to apply there, since my GPA is pretty low.

samwY said:
dr.bizzaro
are you talking about NEWENCO being really easy? or is there another opt school in boston?

I might have to apply there, since my GPA is pretty low.

yeah dude, NEWENCO is where it's at for easiness! NEWENCO is the only one in Boston, MA

But dont fret if you have a low GPA... go to boston because you'll be laughing all the way to a career, a doctorate, and also good times!
that's what i believe in! good fun, and good marks, with little time studying! :thumbup:

I have a low GPA too...i'll apply there for sure

By the way, is it okay to apply to opt school with weak generic letters of recommadation?

stompy said:
I have a low GPA too...i'll apply there for sure

By the way, is it okay to apply to opt school with weak generic letters of recommadation?

weak letters of recommendation are definitely ok for boston :thumbup:

however, i think the harder schools (like PCO, ICO, and berkeley) will probably eliminate weak letters right off the bat....

boston's your best bet... it's the place to party and enjoy life! you'll love the easiness of course work!

Dr Bizarro is way off base. Do not be dissuaded from coming to NEWENCO listening to him. It is a great school, and has anyone asked what his grades are? Maybe it is easy to skip class everyday, but if you aren't getting a 4.0, don't brag. And if you aren't going to class, I wouldn't want to be your patient.

happy7 said:
Dr Bizarro is way off base. Do not be dissuaded from coming to NEWENCO listening to him. It is a great school, and has anyone asked what his grades are? Maybe it is easy to skip class everyday, but if you aren't getting a 4.0, don't brag. And if you aren't going to class, I wouldn't want to be your patient.

I have to agree.... I am not attending NEWENCO, but I have a tough time believing that it's as easy as dr bizarro is making it sound. My understanding is that admissions have been low in Boston IN ADDITION TO many other optometry schools around the USA. My advice to anyone applying to optometry or any other field is this: if you're only applying to a school b/c you think it'll be easy and you'll breeze thru without having to go to class or do any work, then it'd probably be best to consider another profession. If studying about optometry is going to bore you so much that you don't think you could handle attending classes, then practicing it is definitely not something you should be considering.... I know that nobody asked, but that's just my 2 cents. :cool:

silverandblack

I could not have said it better myself! You should enjoy going to class (for the most part) and if you skip all the time, why are you paying all that money to be there?

happy7 said:
I could not have said it better myself! You should enjoy going to class (for the most part) and if you skip all the time, why are you paying all that money to be there?

:clap: :)

happy7 said:

my GPA is currently 3.9... and if that's not good enough for you, then i dont care...

i'm not aiming for a 4.0 because that's nonsense! why should anyone want a 4.0 in the first place? maybe it'll make you feel good, but i find it's just a waste of time...

i get good grades, and i skip class... and my friends at boston do the same, and we all do well...

boston, COMPARED to PCO, ICO, and berkeley is very very very easy.... the course notes are online (i'll give people copies if they want to compare it to other schools!)

boston is very basic stuff.... the other schools make it hard... and it's nearly impossible to do well at the other schools because they make you learn at a much higher level...

HOWEVER, i believe that boston is the best bet for many, because it gives people an opportunity to party and relax...

who cares if i skip class? as long as i get a good grade in my exam, that's all i care about... it doesn't matter if i was sitting in a lecture or not.... who is to say i'm any better or worse?

i just believe that partying is best done when we're young.... and studying is not something we should fill our time with...

happy7 said:

well let me tell you why...

you are paying all that money so that you can slide right into a nice career, a very respectable doctorate, and also good times at the school (ie. partying and having fun, with hardly any studying)

that's what makes boston #1! :thumbup:

I guess you and I plan to have very different careers. I actually enjoy learning, and getting my moneys worth in school. But to each his own.....
I just don't think it is right to continually bad mouth a school, especially one you are attending. Why would you want to give your school such an "easy" rep and then tell people you are from there? It doesn't make much sense to me.

happy7 said:
I guess you and I plan to have very different careers. I actually enjoy learning, and getting my moneys worth in school. But to each his own.....
I just don't think it is right to continually bad mouth a school, especially one you are attending. Why would you want to give your school such an "easy" rep and then tell people you are from there? It doesn't make much sense to me.

dude! i am NOT badmouthing boston... i LOVE boston... and i think it's the best school

for me, i dont prefer schools that put too much emphasis on hard work... i believe that the course load should be light, and easy.... because who in their right minds will remember it later, right?

i'm just promoting it for the school that i love... and it's a school that i find is easy enough to do well in when you skip class... that's what i love about it...

i'm just letting people know, because i know many people think like me (but are afraid to ask about it)

Hello,
Are ICO and PCO both that much harder to get in than the one at Boston?

For entering class of 2003, ICO and PCO's average GPA range is between 3.2 and 3.3 and OAT scores are approx 320.

Boston's is 3.19 and about 310 for OAT.

I have a 350 on my OAT, 360 for Science, but my GPA is quite low, at 3.0...
Anyone care to comment as I'm preparing my applications for this fall?

UHCO's average GPA is around 3.3 with a 330 OAT.

Your OAT's are great stompy! I think if you can explain your gpa to adcoms and show that you're steadily improving your grades.. you should be fine.

what is the passing rate of the final board test given to optometry graduates from NEWENCO?

stompy,
with a 350 OAT and a 3.0 you should have no problem getting accepted to ICO. Just make sure you've had some shadowing experience to better prepare for interview questions. If you show them that this is something you really want to do and have spent time researching the profession you will be fine.

This might sound like a stupid question but when they're talking about avg gpa's for all these schools..do you mean average overall gpa's or overall science gpa's cause my science gpa is slightly lower than my overall one. Thanks!

stompy said:
Hello,
Are ICO and PCO both that much harder to get in than the one at Boston?

For entering class of 2003, ICO and PCO's average GPA range is between 3.2 and 3.3 and OAT scores are approx 320.

Boston's is 3.19 and about 310 for OAT.

trust me on this... if you apply to boston, you'll understand why i'm saying it's easy to get in....

sure, the numbers MAY make it look like the class is just as smart as PCO or ICO, BUT.... when you go into your interview, you'll realize that i am not lying...

at boston, the interview will try to draw you into the school, whereas PCO, or ICO will try to find out who you are, and make sure you are suited for their schools...

that's why boston is better, and a nicer place to go... less stress, and easier to get into... also, easier to do well once you're in the school... you'll see if you come to boston...

drbizzaro said:
trust me on this... if you apply to boston, you'll understand why i'm saying it's easy to get in....

sure, the numbers MAY make it look like the class is just as smart as PCO or ICO, BUT.... when you go into your interview, you'll realize that i am not lying...

at boston, the interview will try to draw you into the school, whereas PCO, or ICO will try to find out who you are, and make sure you are suited for their schools...

that's why boston is better, and a nicer place to go... less stress, and easier to get into... also, easier to do well once you're in the school... you'll see if you come to boston...

not trying to stir the pot too much, but here's some FACT about the application process as I went thru it:

1. i got into ico/suny and med school in canada
2. newenco dillydallied with my application and struggled with the idea of even granting me an interview b/c i had a reference letter that was "too short" as they explained to me.

The point of this is not to toot my own horn so please don't misunderstand me.... what I'm trying to say is that if NEWENCO is so easy to get into (seemingly desparate for students as dr bizarro makes it sound), then i would've been granted an interview right away.... correct?

Now here's my opinion: for those of you trying to get into optometry school, make sure that your decision to apply is based (maybe not completely but) primarily on whether or not you would like to study and practice within the profession not whether or not you feel that you can slack and party while you get your education. I love to party as much as the next guy and I think I'll have a great time at ICO outside of school. Obviously dr bizarro is a very smart person (as is proven by the 3.9 avg) so please don't be mislead and think that it'll be a breeze for absolutely everyone at NEWENCO... I'm sure there are some people who find it difficult.

Beyond that, please consider that your ability to balance school and extracurricular activity is within YOU....whether you go to school A or school B, your view of how difficult it is to balance school with other stuff may be different from the next guy so don't take all of what we on sdn say to be gospel.... some of it is opinion, and we're all coming from different situations.

Sorry this is so long, but it was quite recently that I was looking to this board for good advice so I feel that the least I can do to show my appreciation is help out those who are lookin for advice now..... so bottom line: try not to be mislead by all of our opinions and take from it what you feel is likely the most valuable info!

Good luck! :cool:

silverandblack

silverandblack said:
not trying to stir the pot too much, but here's some FACT about the application process as I went thru it:

1. i got into ico/suny and med school in canada
2. newenco dillydallied with my application and struggled with the idea of even granting me an interview b/c i had a reference letter that was "too short" as they explained to me.

silverandblack

well, i can say this much... at boston, they are aware that a lot of students use their school as a backup... and therefore, if they find out you have applied to ico or suny (which have a harder curriculum), and if you have a fairly high gpa from undergrad, they will be hesistant to grant you an interview (as it will waste the time of the interviewer)...

... it only makes sense...

trust me on this... when you start at ico, you can compare notes with me, and you'll see how ico is harder than boston... you'll see....

Hey, don't forget about OSU as one of the harder schools- that 1st year was a real bitch. I don't care how smart you are, there are many classes at OSU that you would definately fail if you skipped alot of class- especially physiology, anatomy, histology, and ocular anatomy. Optics and pathology are passable even if you skip class, but not easy.

so whats the passing rate of the board admissions at NEWENCO?

if unnecessary "difficult" work is given, and newenco students can pass without that type of work, then I guess boston wouldn't be too bad

drbizzaro said:
trust me on this... when you start at ico, you can compare notes with me, and you'll see how ico is harder than boston... you'll see....

he can't compare notes with you unless he attends both schools. You might think newenco is easy, but I bet there are others in your class who think it's difficult. Everyone interprets things differently. I'm sure there are a few who think UHCO is easy... I'm not one of them.. but I'm sure there are one or two in every class that think the school is easy. These are the people that school comes easy for... that doesn't necessarily make the school easy.

cpw said:
he can't compare notes with you unless he attends both schools. You might think newenco is easy, but I bet there are others in your class who think it's difficult. Everyone interprets things differently. I'm sure there are a few who think UHCO is easy... I'm not one of them.. but I'm sure there are one or two in every class that think the school is easy. These are the people that school comes easy for... that doesn't necessarily make the school easy.

well one way that i've compared boston to other schools has been through illegally obtained stolen exams from the school.... there are a bunch of those floating around (you just have to know the people).... i've compared PCO, ICO's to boston, and both PCO and ICO have harder type questions than the ones i've seen at boston...

take ocular anatomy for instance... at boston, the questions are basic, and non-challenging... but at PCO and ICO i've seen some questions from those stolen exams that are very very challenging (some of them required much more than simple memorizing)

samwY said:
so whats the passing rate of the board admissions at NEWENCO?

if unnecessary "difficult" work is given, and newenco students can pass without that type of work, then I guess boston wouldn't be too bad

it's just as good as the other schools... maybe just a little lower... like quarter % or so... no big!

i'm going to pco and didn't get into newenco. weird.

I don't know why you are all believing him. I mean, I am pretty gullible myself, but even I can see straight through the "Dr.s" **** talking. He is just making stuff up! He has special access to optometry school tests? Boston doesn't let in students with high GPA's if they apply to SUNY? He's had sex with all these optometry school chickS? Next he will tell you he is Elvis' love child and you all will believe it. It's actually kind of funny you are all so serious and can't tell when someone is just giving you a line of bull**** for kicks.......I'm sure the Dr. is having a blast with this though.

ATLrepresent said:
I don't know why you are all believing him. I mean, I am pretty gullible myself, but even I can see straight through the "Dr.s" **** talking. He is just making stuff up! He has special access to optometry school tests? Boston doesn't let in students with high GPA's if they apply to SUNY? He's had sex with all these optometry school chickS? Next he will tell you he is Elvis' love child and you all will believe it. It's actually kind of funny you are all so serious and can't tell when someone is just giving you a line of bull**** for kicks.......I'm sure the Dr. is having a blast with this though.

you obviously have no idea what optometry school is like.... i'm sorry, but you are too naive and believe that certain "exams" cannot be obtained...

just read the old posts in this thread.... there was one person who was complaing about how they didn't get copies of old exams and had to repeat a year.... i find it's easy to get these... you just have to kiss major butt to certain upper years...

also... once you start optometry school, you'll see what it's like... a lot of people make out with each other...

and if you think the idea about boston being easy if fake, just meet me at boston... name a time and place to meet at the school.... (private message me)... and i'll meet you.... i'll also show you my old work...

ATLrepresent said:

Hmmm- I'm well-endowed and didn't have sex with any optometry school chicks! :laugh:

Awesome Dr. Bizzaro. Maybe we can meet in Boston and have sex, because we are both Optometry students and that's what optometry students do! Party and have sex! Maybe you can show me some good keggers in Boston. Anyways, I wasn't referring to getting old exams at your own school. You just seem to have an in to get old exams at multiple schools. Maybe you have this ability because you are such a stud and have girlfriends in optometry schools all over the country. Maybe you also have superhuman powers as well. I bet you have X-Ray vision don't you! That is so cool. Oh yeah one more thing, Boston may be easy, but I think you are EASIER!

drbizzaro said:
you obviously have no idea what optometry school is like.... i'm sorry, but you are too naive and believe that certain "exams" cannot be obtained...

just read the old posts in this thread.... there was one person who was complaing about how they didn't get copies of old exams and had to repeat a year.... i find it's easy to get these... you just have to kiss major butt to certain upper years...

also... once you start optometry school, you'll see what it's like... a lot of people make out with each other...

and if you think the idea about boston being easy if fake, just meet me at boston... name a time and place to meet at the school.... (private message me)... and i'll meet you.... i'll also show you my old work...

ATLrepresent said:
Awesome Dr. Bizzaro. Maybe we can meet in Boston and have sex, because we are both Optometry students and that's what optometry students do! Party and have sex! Maybe you can show me some good keggers in Boston. Anyways, I wasn't referring to getting old exams at your own school. You just seem to have an in to get old exams at multiple schools. Maybe you have this ability because you are such a stud and have girlfriends in optometry schools all over the country. Maybe you also have superhuman powers as well. I bet you have X-Ray vision don't you! That is so cool. Oh yeah one more thing, Boston may be easy, but I think you are EASIER!

Sara, or whatever your name is,

For a person who hasn't even started optometry school yet, you are quite naive. The things you say are so juvenile. I never said I was the one who got old exams from other schools. I can only get old exams from boston. However, I have compared exams with other students from different optometry schools (who have also obtained old exams), in order to compare content.

Like I said before, if you want to see my old exams and work, I'd be glad to show you.

Throwing insults like you have done, just causes you to seem very childish.

Dr. Bizzaro,
I will be at NEWENCO this fall, I would like to see the old tests.

okay guys.. I hate stepping in here and putting on the mod hat, but this conversation is going no where.

Talking about pros/cons of different programs -- yes
talking about old exams vs new exams -- sure
talking about sex lives of Od students --- kinda pushing it
slamming other users ---- :thumbdown: not allowed

boston bound said:
Dr. Bizzaro,
I will be at NEWENCO this fall, I would like to see the old tests.

not a problem! (but i'd like to add one condition: that you back me up in this forum after i give you copies)

Is there anyone who also goes to NEWENCO currently that can kinda give some insight on this topic? (how easy boston is)

It's nice to hear that for those that doesn't have a high GPA, getting into an OD school is still possible.. however.. wouldn't it be kinda odd to find such a huge difference between school? one school you hafta study hrs after hrs.. then another school, you can party etc etc... yet the passing rate for the boards are very similiar?

Katalio said:
Is there anyone who also goes to NEWENCO currently that can kinda give some insight on this topic? (how easy boston is)

It's nice to hear that for those that doesn't have a high GPA, getting into an OD school is still possible.. however.. wouldn't it be kinda odd to find such a huge difference between school? one school you hafta study hrs after hrs.. then another school, you can party etc etc... yet the passing rate for the boards are very similiar?

i'll admit, the passing rates for boards at PCO and ICO are in fact higher than boston... but i still think it's reasonable