SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

oral board prep advice

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by heathermed, Jan 24, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. heathermed

heathermed 7+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Hello Everyone

for those that have taken the oral boards recently, any advice on where to start?
    I have mine scheduled in 3 months.

The few threads that offer advice are slightly outdated.

thank you!!!!!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. pgg

pgg Laugh at me, will they? SDN Moderator 10+ Year Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Home Again
    Old advice is good advice. The exam hasn't changed.

Practice out loud. It's a speaking test, so speak your answers. Practice with colleagues, with your spouse, or by yourself. Consider taking a course if it's hard for you to find other people to practice with.

Honestly assess your knowledge base and work to correct weak areas. If you crushed the ITEs and the written, you've probably got the required knowledge to pass the oral exam. They say the oral is a test of judgment, and it is, but it's hard to have good judgment when you don't know what you need to know.

BCM and kazuma like this.
  4. BobBarker

BobBarker Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Practice, practice, practice.

BCM likes this.
  5. FFP

FFP Grunt, cog, body, pompous ass Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2007
    the opposite pole

kazuma likes this.
  6. yancantcook

yancantcook Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Physician
    Faculty
    Practice practice practice. Don't be like Allen iverson when he played for 76ers and his views towards "practice" lol

Physio Doc 2 Be likes this.
  7. fakin' the funk

fakin' the funk ASA Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Just do as many as you can in practice.

Practice with your friends/co-residents on Skype/Facetime whatever

8. KenyGas

KenyGas

Oct 28, 2015
    Took the Orals in October last yr, and thank God I passed. Took UBP prep course in San Diego as I felt that I needed a structure to go about it. Then it was practice, practice, practice with the wifey 2 hrs, 4 x a week after the kids went to bed. Even practiced speaking by the mirror to get the hibby jibbies off my system - sounds crazy, but I think it worked for me. As a poster above said, practice speaking out loud and expressing your knowledge in an efficient, coherent manner. I did it and can be done!

9. BCM

BCM ASA Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 1, 2009
    EST
    Practice with classmates in person or via google chat. Go over common scenarios and cases from Ho course. If you have access to any former board examiners, ask them to give you a practice exam 4-6 weeks out to fine tune things.

10. jk1979

jk1979

Nov 15, 2015
    practice out loud and if you are asking for course recommendations, so justoralboards.com.

11. easternether

easternether

Jun 2, 2016
    yes, i would have to agree...practice practice practice.

12. cchoukal

cchoukal Senior Member SDN Moderator 10+ Year Member

Jul 10, 2001
    SF, CA
    As you can see, people think practice is important! I would emphasize the "out loud" component of practice. You'll identify sloppiness out loud that you'd never identify if you're just reciting it in your head.

The other thing that I found helpful was to decide on cut-offs for various things, including justification where able. For example, patient comes in for ambulatory surgery with a finger stick of 301, what's your move? Patient has a sodium of 126, do you proceed? why/not? You will definitely be asked to discuss a DDx for various vital sign changes intra-op; think through an memorize your approach to HTN hypotension, tachy, brady, desaturation, etc. These should be basically rote by the time you are tested.

13. confusingleaf

confusingleaf ASA Member

May 4, 2016
    practice is most important. i did michael ho online review materials and took many mocks with his examiners, attendings, fellow residents. passed and felt good about the exam.

14. easternether

easternether

Jun 2, 2016
    everyone has a different approach. For me was JustoralBoards.com, but above and beyond if you dont do your "practice" i don't think this exam will go your way. Remember, no course instructor will be in the room with you...you get to walk that last mile yourself. But yes, courses can help