Oral Board review.... HO V/s Jensen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bronchospasm

Interventional Pain Physician
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just decided to register for an oral board review course.

Need help in decideing which one to go with.

Here is what I have heard.

Ho -- very detailed and basic. Very detailed in subject matter and teaches subject more than how to answer

Jensen - More coaching on how to talk -- how to analyse the case and form a plan etc.. Goes through a lot of cases but there is not detaild subject matter about the question.

I would appreciate any inputs from folks who have been to these courses.

Also, Should I attend the course the weekend before the actual D-Day..

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Ho -- very detailed and basic. Very detailed in subject matter and teaches subject more than how to answer

Jensen - More coaching on how to talk -- how to analyse the case and form a plan etc.. Goes through a lot of cases but there is not detaild subject matter about the question.

Thanks

I didn't take Jensen, but I took Ho's course and really liked it. I actually like his approach to the oral boards, and he does teach a lot of how to analyze, how to approach and how to answer and also how to study. Took the course last March, felt very prepared and took the boards and passed a month after that.

Anyone interested in Big Red? I have mine to sell. Please feel free to PM me.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did take both. Take HO. Don't take it right beforehand though. Jeez, your poor autonomics. Take the week before the test to chill and do something besides anesthesia. Better than Jensen or HO is PRACTICE. I was lucky that my program offered mock orals. Essential! Practice, practice, practice. If you can defend your position in a reasonable fashion, you'll pass. And one or two "I don't know's" are alright .

good luck!

Also try justoralboards.com. You will get 5-7 oral exams with personalized feedback. You get to do it in your own home without travel at your own schedule. Total time with feedback is 90-120 minutes. Give it a try. If you still need more review then try Jenson or Ho...

have a HO oral board review book up for grabs. latest edition, in perfect condition. pm for details.

I am interested in buying the Ho's ORAL review board course text, course workbook and the must-know cases workbook.

Please let me know if it is still available and your best offer.

Thanks in advance.
user_offline.gif

Thanks

Don't do any. I think it is a complete waste of money and as I have heard several oral board examiners say, they make money feeding on the nervousness of new graduates. You will pass if you practice exams, and do a lot of them. You can find practice exams easy enough from someone who has a workbook from one of those courses. I know a lot of people that passed this year that didn't take any course, but they all practiced exams with one another. Me and a collegue gave each other about 40+ exams each before the test. I think you should read Faust and Board Stiff Two and practice, practice, practice. I promise, you could buy a lot of cool stuff with that $1000 dollars.

If you don't believe me, do me a favor ----find a real oral board examiner (senior examiner) and ask him what he thinks. I'll pay for your course myself if he thinks it will be well spent money. (Just kidding, but maybe I'll send you a dollar- but you should ask one anyway). One senior board examiner told me that the examiners hate those courses because many of the people that come back from them end up answering the questions with the same annoying rhetoric (like "I will use an a-line for beat to beat monitoring"...or "I will use a careful graded induction")

I think that it is a personal decision. You have to remember that everyone is not just sitting around in an academic institution at this time. Some people are sitting in the middle of rural america making it hard to get good quality practice. I took 30 practice exams and attended a course. The course was helpful but I am sure that I would have still passed without it. However, there are many anesthesiologist who never take a course and do exceptionally well. There are also some who take two courses and ultimately fail. You really need to decide what you need in your own situation. If you are in a big academic center, you may not need the course. At the very least the course will give you another perspective. In my opinion, I think that most of the board examiners are against the courses because they dont want to see people making money off of the exam process. They need to get over it. This is America...

I listened to the Jensen practice exams. They were helpful because it showed me how not to take an exam. I don't know if that was the purpose, but sometimes he acted like a complete idiot in his exams. Then on the debrief, he still sounded like he truly didn't know what was up with basic stuff. Based on that and all his over-hyped military rhetoric, I went to a Ho course. I found it pretty useful to get used to being in a high-pressure exam situation. And it was tax-free money, so it really only cost me $600.

have a HO oral board review book up for grabs. latest edition, in perfect condition. pm for details.

I am looking for Dr. Ho's oral book. Please let me know your oral book is still available for sell. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have it for sale, I'm interested in the latest ed.
Thanks

i took jenson's, ho's and gallagher's course and the hands down winner was ho. he's detailed, accurate and doesn't use scare tactics or bs. just like he said, way over 50% of my questions came from his course. more importantly, he taught us the needed knowledge (the guys a freakin' encyclopedia) and how think on your feet. don't waste your money on other courses. i took one course early and the 4 day course right before the brds. couldn't have passed without it. it was expensive, but worth every penny. plus, i now think different in and out of the or and i'm a better doctor for it. how many courses can claim that?

i took jenson's, ho's and gallagher's course and the hands down winner was ho. he's detailed, accurate and doesn't use scare tactics or bs. just like he said, way over 50% of my questions came from his course. more importantly, he taught us the needed knowledge (the guys a freakin' encyclopedia) and how think on your feet. don't waste your money on other courses. i took one course early and the 4 day course right before the brds. couldn't have passed without it. it was expensive, but worth every penny. plus, i now think different in and out of the or and i'm a better doctor for it. how many courses can claim that?

This person speaks the truth. Dr Ho's famous mantra is:
Instead of trying to pass the board so you can become a consultant, his goal is to teach you to become a consultant so you can pass the board. Subtle but important difference. He is an excellent teacher who will help you understand the material so that you KNOW the answers. The other famous course will help you memorize some canned responses to situations but, since he does not teach understanding, your lack of understanding will be exposed with minimal questioning by the examiners.
Ideally, you would learn everything in residency, but there will be gaps in knowledge for just about everyone. Dr Ho will help fill the gaps. If you ask questions at Dr Ho's course, you get real, clinically relevant answers. Many times when questions are asked at a popular competing course, you get a blank stare followed by the final verdict of "best answer: given. Let's move on."
I have no financial incentives to disclose.

This person speaks the truth. Dr Ho's famous mantra is:
Instead of trying to pass the board so you can become a consultant, his goal is to teach you to become a consultant so you can pass the board. Subtle but important difference. He is an excellent teacher who will help you understand the material so that you KNOW the answers. The other famous course will help you memorize some canned responses to situations but, since he does not teach understanding, your lack of understanding will be exposed with minimal questioning by the examiners.
Ideally, you would learn everything in residency, but there will be gaps in knowledge for just about everyone. Dr Ho will help fill the gaps. If you ask questions at Dr Ho's course, you get real, clinically relevant answers. Many times when questions are asked at a popular competing course, you get a blank stare followed by the final verdict of "best answer: given. Let's move on."
I have no financial incentives to disclose.

Is Board Stiff Too helpful ?

Cambie

Cambie

I like it but I'm a current CA-3 so don't take my word for it. :)

The main reason I'm posting is to point out that the publication of Board Stiff Three may be imminent. Amazon lists its publication date as Oct 3rd, but still only has a pre-order option, so who knows when it'll really be out.

Just found out I passed the oral exam! I didn't have time to go to a review course but I took mock orals through Justoralboards. They were great. Didn't have to travel just did them over the phone from home. You spend thirty minutes taking an exam and get about 45 minutes of feedback. I also made it throught about 70% of Big Red which was good for remembering the details that I forgot since the written.

Cambie

My best advice:
Read Stoelting and Dierdorf's Anesthesia and Coexisting Disease in the months leading up.
Reread the handbook in the week before the exam.
Supplement areas of weakness with a major text such as Miller's. I am not saying read it all, but if you are weak on a topic, devote some time to it. This is why it is important to start early.
Yao and Artusio's book is a nice supplement.
Board Stiff is nice for some pointers, but is not a good central source for info. It is a light hearted read that can be helpful.
There is no substitute for out loud practice with oral exams. Practice your speaking on a daily basis. Set a goal to have 30 practice exams, even if some of them are delivered by a novice spouse or friend. They don't have to grade you. After you have prepared enough, you will know if you did well or not. Practice with residency classmates over the phone. Have a set time several times a week where you commit to phone exams. If you are a resident, take as many practice exams as you can before you leave residency.
Supplement with a course if needed.

I just found out today that I passed my oral boards and Michael Ho's course was simply the best!! I had failed on my first attempt and his course gave me the confidence and knowledge I lacked.

His review book was high-yield and although it doesn't cover everything; it is a great way to start. It was my #1 source. The question and answer format in the book was a great way to review topics.

Since his course is intense, I would recommend going to a course a couple of months before your actual boards to get an idea of what to expect. Then I would polish your knowledge and speaking by going to his 4 day crash course. In my opinion, if you wait until the 4 day crash course (which is the weekend before the actual boards), you may be doing a disservice to yourself as the amount of material he covers is phenomenal. High yield, but a lot to absorb.

Take my advice. Take his course. It's simply the most efficient way to prepare yourself for the boards. Also, take as many mock orals with colleagues, fellow residents, former attendings, and Dr. Ho himself.

If you have any questions, please feel free to respond.

I wish there was a way for people preparing for the oral boards to meet online and do mock orals. Is this possible through studentdoctor.net?? Don't need this service anymore cuz i found out yesterday that i passed my boards!!!!!:):)

Ho is simply awesome! His formula works. Course and emails are excellent; emails are particularly invaluable. I just passed so I know. I failed using Jensen and passed with Ho.

Don't wait to take the course. You will receive the emails from Dr. Ho on a weekly basis. Trust me they are great!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will receive about 12 email mock tests with questions and answers. He first sends the questions for you to answer, then canditates' responses for comparison, and then his responses; the format is very effective.

Good luck!

Did anyone use Niel's Spiel's for a quick review for the orals? Obviously not the only study tool but just for quick studying while at work.

Listen up gang,

I just passed my Oral, that is a big monkey off my back.
I took Jensen and Ho, I passed by the help of Dr. Ho, such a confidence booster. Confidence is a trait that your examiner would be looking for in every answer you make, and it will show in every answer you make.

Dr. Ho is my hero, enough said.

While I am a big fan of Dr Ho's course, these first time posters who feel the need to post here about their results seem a little suspicious for advertising. Coincidence? Maybe.

Whatever the case, his course is excellent.

While I am a big fan of Dr Ho's course, these first time posters who feel the need to post here about their results seem a little suspicious for advertising. Coincidence? Maybe.

Whatever the case, his course is excellent.

I am a little suspicious as well but a VERY cursory IP check show no egregious hits. Caveat emptor!

Finally Iam a ABA Diplomate as of October 2008 with the great help of Dr Micheal HO. He Provided me with the best preparation for the Oral Boards. I have taken numerous of courses such as Jenson and Board stiff live and by far there is no comparison to his course. He provided a steadfast and impeccable oral board preparation which gave me not only enormous confidence but also help me solidify my consultant attributes(Judgement, Adaptibility and most importantly Knowledge) which is vital in passing the Oral Boards.

I would highly recommend taking the course early to determine your strengths and weaknessess and if feasible the 20 MKC. Finally the 4 day crash course is very helpful before the exam. This work well for me because i had limited time to read or perform mock orals especilly working in private practice. A person in the academic setting will probably need less courses but is still highly recommended to take his 4 day crash in addition to a 20MKC. YOu must have a game plan from the beginning and try to set a goal each month to balance work, courses, mock orals and reviewing his material.

It was very challenging for me to balance my personal life with studying for the oral boards.. You have to possess determination and perserverance and make the Oral boards your First priority and everything else including family secondary for only several months. I am content that i was able to accomplish my goal and make all the necessary sacrifices. It was worth all the money and time. Iam now a "Board Certified Anesthesiologist" part of the "Elite Club".

I finally have my life back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Again Dr Micheal Ho...

Last edited:
From where did all of these 1st time posters come? Marketing and promotion are invaluable, particularly to those interests involved, but seriously.

Regardless of origin, congratulations on passing.

PMMD

hi. i'm interested in the big red if its still available, rexed.

Don't do any. I think it is a complete waste of money and as I have heard several oral board examiners say, they make money feeding on the nervousness of new graduates. You will pass if you practice exams, and do a lot of them. You can find practice exams easy enough from someone who has a workbook from one of those courses. I know a lot of people that passed this year that didn't take any course, but they all practiced exams with one another. Me and a collegue gave each other about 40+ exams each before the test. I think you should read Faust and Board Stiff Two and practice, practice, practice. I promise, you could buy a lot of cool stuff with that $1000 dollars.

If you don't believe me, do me a favor ----find a real oral board examiner (senior examiner) and ask him what he thinks. I'll pay for your course myself if he thinks it will be well spent money. (Just kidding, but maybe I'll send you a dollar- but you should ask one anyway). One senior board examiner told me that the examiners hate those courses because many of the people that come back from them end up answering the questions with the same annoying rhetoric (like "I will use an a-line for beat to beat monitoring"...or "I will use a careful graded induction")

Poor advice. LEt me tell you something. The COST of failure is too great to leave to just give your friends oral boards here and there. There is a higher failure rate with that technique. You must go to the PROS. and michael HO is IT. think about it. total cost of the course that i spent about 5000 dollars. BUt i went to many sessions in different cities in the usa. you can get away with 2000 dollars max. and if you take his course. take it seriously and pay attention and read the book. GUARANTEED PASS. and i mean GUARANTEE. My friend felt the same way you did. guess what. He did the orals 3 times. finally passed third time. its not something to take lightly. dont ******* around with this exam

i dont find it suspicious. HIs COURSE is that good. HE is that good at cracking the secret of the boards. even the senior board examiners arent as good as he is. He gave an oral board to a senior faculty member at mount sinai publicly in his course when i took it and allowed that faculty member to give him an oral board. I felt the faculty member to be lacking. michael ho was poised and well spoken.

I also give Michael Ho's course a thumbs up.

I took the prep course prior to my oral boards in spring 2007 in D.C.
I had the unfortunate luck to draw a Friday exam day, so I went and took the course where you just practice exams with another student and then analyze exams with Michael (sorry, can't remember the name of the course) during the week of the exams. I also got the prep book from another person in my group.

I thought the prep book was an excellent study guide. Tons of info, but in an easy to read, outline format.

As far as the course, I thought the practice/feedback was great. It was also extremely helpful as a first-time test taker to get an idea of how bad some people really are. Sorry that sounds bitchy, but honestly, some people are so bad at talking anesthesia that it really helped my confidence.
I was also desperate to do SOMETHING that week leading up to the exam other than stay at home and drive my husband up the wall.

I think for most people a prep course probably isn't necessary, but it will help you feel a little bit more comfortable come test time. If you want to do one, I would definitely do the Ho course.

Any suggestions on how to get a hold of a lot of practice exams? I am a CA-2, plan to start practicing for orals with another Resident who lives just down the street from me. Also any other book suggestions to get us started would be much appreciated.

If someone has some good, used books for sale, I maybe interested.

It's an old question, but if these answers can help future/current MDs to make a wise decision and pass oral boards, then I'll contribute.

My husband had "Board Stiff Too", "The Ultimate Study Guide"- Michael K. Loushin & he bought "The Essential Oral Board Review" by Michael Ho + all his study materials from a person who took this course. He passed from the 1st try. He never studied for his oral board during residency years as some people do, and he is not comfortable speaking in front of people. He said Dr Ho's book was great and helped him tremendously.

Regarding Jensen's course... Well, according to some examiners, they hate (pretty strong word ;)) when they see that you were trained by Jensen. They notice often if a person took Jensen's course, because his training is pretty specific. I guess, they don't like him for making all that money, huh? Not sure what's the real reason, but if somebody decides to take his course, please don't phrase your answers as he teaches you because you may piss some examiners off.

I don't think you can advise not to take any courses, because all people are different and some do need to take a course. You know how it is: some people can party all night long and still pass their tests w a high score (lucky bastards! :D), while others should spend at least 2 weeks sitting on their ... 24/7 to get B
My husband is somewhere in the middle :laugh:.

Good luck to everybody!

It's an old question, but if these answers can help future/current MDs to make a wise decision and pass oral boards, then I'll contribute.

My husband had "Board Stiff Too", "The Ultimate Study Guide"- Michael K. Loushin & he bought "The Essential Oral Board Review" by Michael Ho + all his study materials from a person who took this course. He passed from the 1st try. He never studied for his oral board during residency years as some people do, and he is not comfortable speaking in front of people.

I really liked Loushin's book. I used the Ultimate Study Guide for the writtens and his oral boards case scenarios for the orals (along with Board Stiff Too, Ho's review books, and Yao). There really is no substitute for talking aloud, both with a partner and by yourself in my humble opinion. I did that over the course of several months and passed on the 1st shot, no course needed. Everybody has their own formula, though.

Best of luck,
PMMD

Hi,

I am looking for Dr. Ho's oral board case scenario book. Any suggestions??

Rob

Hi,

I am looking for Dr. Ho's oral board case scenario book. Any suggestions??

Rob

Call him. He will sell you one. It will be pricey though. If you register for the course, he will throw it in for free. What a bargain.

I have a copy of Big Red and Niels Spiels . PM me if interested.

I have a copy of HO's Oral Board Review textbook. Brand new, shrinkwrapped. PM Me. Retails for $495 plus $30 shipping from Ho's website.