Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery (OMS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentStud

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start a new forum for those who have interest in Oral & Maxillofacial surgery here! Anyone with anything interesting to share relating to the practice of or residency training please post your message here!

Members don't see this ad.

You may actually have more luck in finding interested students in the Dental Forums, as I believe most OMFS residents are dentists by training.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone interviewed at any OMS programs yet? Please share your experience. Thanks!

I have interviews coming up at Emory, Parkland, UCLA, LSU, UMiami.

Originally posted by DentStud
Has anyone interviewed at any OMS programs yet? Please share your experience. Thanks!

If you don't mind me asking, what are your "stats"?

DentalStud,

Please do share your experiences once you've completed your OMS interviews. I, too, am very interested in OMS specialty and what types of applicants they look for. I've contacted and kept in touch with 7 OMS program directors around the country and I have a good idea of what types of credentials they look for in an applicant, but it would be nice to see your stats.

I'm still in the early stages of the OMS route since I'm a D-1, but it's never too early to plan and pave the road to OMS.

Questions:

1) What made you want to do OMS or OMS/MD? (people always say "it's TOO long!", "You'll make more money as Endos and Orthos and it's shorter training!", and "You'll be on call!"...blah, blah, blah...) I know my answers to why I want to go into OMS or OMS/MD, but I would like to hear your view.
2) What are your academic numbers (class rank, GPA, and NBDEs)
3) Did you do research as a predoc, if yes, was it OMS related
4) Where do you attend dental school currently?

Anything you can share would be appreciated!

Andy

Hi Andy!

Well, my interest in OMS grew over the years as I went through dental school. First of all, OMS do have to work harder than Ortho, Endo, but then I'm not the type of person that look for the easy way out. I have always enjoyed classes such as pathology and oral medicine, etc... In other words, I like to practice a specialty where I can apply the medical knowledge on a regular basis. And then, I think surgery is just cool in general, and I enjoy my OMS externship over the summer where I get to see many neat surgeries in the OR.

As for my stats: class rank: 2, 96 on NBI, research on oral cancer.

For me, I chose OMS because I find it stimulating and challenging, not an easy way out. Good luck with dental school and feel free post other messages in this forum. Nice to have ohter colleagues interested in OMS.

my classmate who matched in an OMS program was ranked 12 th and scored less than 90 on NDB 1 and NDB 2, but did a lot of research and externship programs.

Dental Stud:

Impressive numbers! Please keep us updated on your interview experiences as far as what the OMS interviews are like.

Big Poppa:

There are always special circumstances for applicants getting in their desired residencies. I've heard from numerous sources that OMS today is not as popular specialty as years before due to the long continuation of training, but I still wouldn't recommend applicants to slack off on the numbers if they're interested in OMS residencies. Like I said, I'm in contact with 7 OMS directors around the country and they all have expectations of high numbers from their applicants.

On the other side of the token, I have also heard that OMS related researches and OMS externships are HIGHLY looked upon in applicants. I plan on doing OMS research with my OMS department this upcoming summer and apply to couple of OMS externships during my D-2 year. Since we, Class of 2006, at Nova will take our NBDE Part I in December 2003 (after my Fall semester D-2 year) instead of the summer after our second year, I will have my NBDE Part I scores to use in my externship applications. Let's just hope I get above 90s!!! :eek:

Thanks to you both for sharing!

I just found out today via email that I will be participating in an OMS externship this upcoming summer in June as a D-2 at University of Florida at Jaxsonville Health Science Center for three weeks!!!

OMS externships are usually tailored for D-3s and D-4s that are interested in OMS, I emailed like 20+ OMS program directors around the country recently to express my passion in the specialty and to see if I'm able to participate in their externship program as a D-2 and Univ. of FL wrote back and said they don't see why not!!! I'll need recommendation letters from the Chair of OMS department and the Dean from my dental school, which shouldn't be a problem.

I'm pumped! :clap: Hopefully more externships will be available to me as I wait for more email replies.

http://www.hscj.ufl.edu/cod/cod.asp

Well, after reading two of my earlier posts:

1) We end up taking the NBDE Part 1 in July 2003 instead of December 2003

2) I never end up going to University of Florida at Jaxsonville Health Science Center for that OMS externship this past summer due to my studies for NBDE Part 1 instead.

I did, however, spend some time at University of Minnesota OMS this past April (during my spring break), kind of like a "mini-mini-mini externship".

I'm currently in the process of researching on OMS externship opportunities for this upcoming summer (summer 2004). I have a meeting next Tuesday afternoon with my Academic Dean to see if I'm qualified to participate in an OMS externship as a dental student between his 2nd and 3rd year of dental school (summer time).

It is very important to have your own dental school allow you to participate in OMS externships because there is this Insurance requirement by all the OMS externship around the country. If you don't have this insurance coverage by your own dental school, OMS externship will not accept you.

Usually 3rd and 4th year dental students are qualified to go on externships so I want to make sure that I'm qualified to go during the summer after my 2nd year but before my 3rd year. Technically I will be a 3rd year, but we'll have to see.

As soon as I get the permission from the Academic Dean that I'm allow to go to an OMS externship WITH insurance coverage from NOVA, I will then request letters of recommendation(s), draft up my CV, write a Statement of Purpose, and fill out OMS Externship applications.

Applying to OMS externships aren't challenging, it's getting your own dental school to let you go and find the right time available (both you and the OMS externship availabilities) that are challenging.

I'll keep y'all updated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I just got back from my meeting with my Academic Dean in regards to the possibility of Nova Dental covering me for Malpratice and Liability Insurance for an OMS Externship this upcoming summer. My Academic Dean did not only approve my participation in the OMS externship application process by offering me the Insurance, but he also offered writing a letter of recommendation for me if I need one from him!

This is a huge step towards applying to an OMS externship. If your dental school doesn't support you and/or insures you for an OMS Externship, then you're pretty much out of luck in getting accepting to an OMS externship.

Now that I have my school's support and insurance for me to participate this summer and I have contacted numerous OMS programs around the country. I now need to:

1. draft up my CV
2. write a personal statment for the externship
3. research on which externship program(s) I should apply to [this is very crucial, once you've partcipated in an OMS externship program at an OMS program, the director and faculties there will then know you, this OMS externship experience can very well effect your future application for an OMS Residency spot there at their program, positively or negatively. You really want to select an OMS externship spotto apply to now where you can see yourself doing your residency in the future.]
4. contact OMS programs where they offer OMS externships and seek for an application or instructions to apply for an OMS externship

I'll keep y'all updated on which OMS externship(s) I'll be applying to.

Nap time...

Andy,
I really enjoyed my OMS externship and I'm sure you will have as much fun as I did! :clap:

Luck!

Tom:

Are you also interested in OMS? Where did you do your Externship(s)?

I've decided to apply to: (thus far)

University of Michigan
Mayo Clinic - Rochester, MN

I'll probably only apply to 5 for this upcoming summer and attend one (if accepted). I'm still in the process to decide and research on where I want to apply to for the next 3 program locations.

I had the opportunity to do a "mini OMS externship" at the University of Minnesota this past April. From what I had experienced in those days, I, too, had a blast! I can't wait to do a "full" externship.

:clap:

Hey Andy,

Yep, I do indeed have an interest in oral surgery, though at this moment I'm having an internal debate whether or not to go for it because of my age-- There is considerable pressure on me to start putting bread on the table and think of settling down, raising a family and ensuring that any Tom Jr.'s will have a dad who is not a sextagenarian by the time they graduate grade school. :laugh:

Anyway, I described some of my experiences during my OMS externship at Bellevue Hospital Center in NYC this past summer on Gavin's thread here near the middle of that particular page: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75399&perpage=20&pagenumber=4

Thought I'd post the link rather than rant again which might just P.O. some people. :D

Make sure you share your externship experience here!

Hello every body,

I did my externship in june at the University of Texas - Houston and I really liked it. I'm looking into doing another one, any body has a recommendation?

Be'You:

I would look to apply to an OMS externship where you can see yourself applying for a residency spot in the future. For example, if you know that you want to stay in Texas after you earn your DDS/DMD, then apply to OMS externships in Texas.

Also, please do share you thoughts and experiences at Univ. of Texas Houston OMS.

Originally posted by DentStud

I think the former director of OMS at columbia is going over to Emory next year.....a guy by the name of Roser.

I hear that Parkland and LSU are really great programs. As for Parkland...I also hear tales that the residents get treated like garbage.....:eek: Can you please post your interview experiences at parkland when you get the chance? Thanks!

Canine:

I don't think DentStud's around anymore, his posts were posted back in 2002! If anything, he's probably matched somewhere and busy with his first year OMS residency!

It'd be nice if he would post his interview experiences, but it's highly unlikely that we'll hear from him some time soon.

Yah-E,

I agree with what you say, but currently I have no preference for any particular program, I am still in the process of searching programs and knowing which ones are good.

Univ. of Texas - houston has a good program and they offer both the 4 and 6 year program. You also get to see and do alot over there during externship.
I've heard good comments about Upenn, Uconn, Miami, Baylor, BU, MCV and Univ. of washington.

Good luck!

I didnt even notice the date of the posts.......hehehe.......
yes.....would have been nice if he had posted something....

i have a feeling that oral surgery's going to be really comeptitive for the 06 class...
i guess it's great for the rest of us who has absolutely no interest in it :) :p

There are only few programs that offer combined OMS/Phd programs. I know that UCSF, UT-houston, UMKC, BU and Baylor have it. Any body heard of other programs that offer the same?

BU for example offers a 9 year combined OMS/Phd program!! But Baylor has a 7 year program! It seems that not every program is offering the same duration. Any clarification?

Yah-E-

I was just reading through the 2 pages of OMS posts and noticed you said,
"If your dental school doesn't support you and/or insures you for an OMS Externship, then you're pretty much out of luck in getting accepting to an OMS externship."

That's not exactly correct... they wouldn't cover me for my externships, so I just had to get a 1 year malpractice policy for myself through ASDA for like $30 a year... the same policy most senior dental students apply for to take regional and state board exams.

If anyone out there wants to do an OMS externship but doesn't get official time off from dental school to do it, then go during Christmas or Spring break- its easy to get into an externship during "off season" fall/spring/winter anyways. They were definitely good experiences and taught me a lot about what I need to ask and look for in a residency, as well as what I need to watch out for.

Just FYI

River

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
ALL are dentists by training.

It's OUR specialty :D

Yeah? well you can have it.

we have FIVE pathways (gen surg, CT surg, neurosurg, ortho surg, plastic surg) to becoming a surgeon, not just one.

And NO, a regular dentist is not a surgeon.

looks like we have a troll on our hands

Yes, this is definitive proof of that. MacGuyver is a troll. And, not a very good one at that; he simply comes off as being ignorant rather than offensive. But I will give him a big fat troll A for effort.

BTW, I like how he refers to the medical community as "we". I don't think he's even in med school yet, is he?. :laugh:

Little does he know that OMS programs do require various rotations in the medical field (anesthisiology, gen surgery, orthognathic surgery, etc...). Also.....the 10 years (if chosing the 6 year plan) of training that a person goes through to become an oral surgeon equates to the number of years and training to say, an ass surgeon....:D

a surgeon is a surgeon is a surgeon is a surgeon

Originally posted by SDN9876
anyone have a list of all 4 year OMFS programs and all 6 year OMFS programs? thanks!

click
here
........enjoy!

Originally posted by MacGyver

we have FIVE pathways (gen surg, CT surg, neurosurg, ortho surg, plastic surg) to becoming a surgeon, not just one.

Sounds like somebody's feeling pretty inadequate ;) I'm just waiting for him to come in here announcing he can pee further than any of us.

Sounds like somebody's feeling pretty inadequate

No more inadequate than the poster who said this:

Originally posted by ItsGavinC

Originally posted by ******:

You may actually have more luck in finding interested students in the Dental Forums, as I believe most OMFS residents are dentists by training.

ALL are dentists by training.

It's OUR specialty :D

Cool, I didn't know that. Thanks.

Yes, a regular dentist is a surgeon.

Didn't you see our degree state it perfectly clear?

D.D.S= DOCTOR OF DENTAL SURGERY

:D :D :D

Yeah I guess you're right. I just noticed that cardiothoracic "surgeons" only have an MD, they dont have a "surgical" degree so they must be fake surgeons.

BTW, I wouldnt put too much stock in whatever the title says.

I know people who get hired at Microsoft as "engineers" yet they cant do simple high school algebra.

Yeah I guess you're right. I just noticed that cardiothoracic "surgeons" only have an MD, they dont have a "surgical" degree so they must be fake surgeons.

Actually, I believe they have to be board certified in whatever field of surgery they practice. So they are licensed as surgeons regardless of what their title says.

Good morning people. How did a night's sleep help?

This thread is becoming a series of personal attacks. The instigating poster has benn warned. Any more similar behavior will cause the offending posters to be banned from the Dental Forums.

I suggest the art of ignoring, the process of considering someone nonexistent.

Richard R. Scherf, DMD, FAGD

River13:

Good luck on your interview invitations! If you don't mind, I would love to read some of your OMS externship experiences? How long of a period did you attend at each one? I plan on to go at least two weeks and maybe 3 weeks at most this summer.

About the malpractice that I typed earlier, what I meant to say was, the insurance is most likely required by the OMS externships. Whether you have your own through ASDA/ADA or your own dental school will provide it to you.

Obviously if your own school will provide it to you, then that would be best. If not, then other alternative routes must be sought. In your case, you still had a malpractice insurance, but it was from ADA/ASDA instead of your school, but a malpractice insurance was required!

SDN9876:

Check the following link for the info that you're seeking for:

http://www.aaoms.org/residency/pdf/ProgramList.pdf

Dr. Scherf:

Nice to see you again!

I think 2 weeks is perfect...it gives you time to get to know the residents, see a good mix of procedures, but you're not around so long that you get on anyone's nerves...I personally think you understand a residency after a couple of weeks and should go see another one instead of sticking around longer (if you're there to get experience in OMS, stay---if you're there to evaluate their residency for future application, move on so you can compare better).

Well I know its about that time again for interviews. Since I don't have a chance to write many posts most of you don't know who I am. I am currently a first year OMFS resident at the University of Minnesota. Since I recently went through the interview process I would be glad to try and help answer any questions I possibly can. For those who are applying to both 4 and 6 year programs the big question your going to get asked is which tract do you want most and why. A bit of advice is to come up with a well prepared answer that is PC and won't offend either a 4 or 6 year oral surgeon. Many programs out there have both 4 and 6 year surgeons on their interview panel and you don't want to offend one of them. Answers such as "I don't want to spend an extra 2 years in school" or "I think the 6 year tract will make me a better oral surgeon" are not advisable answers. Just remember that when you are going to these interviews that the residents and the Attendings are looking for candidates that they feel will fit into their program, and You should also be looking to see if that program fits you. I think the worst thing you can do in an interview is to come off cocky or arrogant. Any specific questions about particular programs I would be glad to try and answer.

I've applied to Minnesota...I've heard research is big at your program, and that its pretty well rounded...what would you say are the strengths and weaknesses of your residency that you have noticed so far?

USC2003:

I shadowed your Chief Residents, Lance and Luke. Awesome guys, if you see them, please tell them Andy (Asian) at Nova said "hi"!

Dr. Basi, Sandler, and Swift are great! I'll definitely apply to OMS there when I graduate. You'll be just starting your Chief Residency then (PGY-4).
:D

Could you guys give some more info on OMS. What kind of work are they doing these days. I've heard that some are moving into plastic and craniofacial. I volunteered at a Craniofacial center for a while and am interested in oral/cranio/max surgery, just not sure whether I should go to dental school or medical school. The reason that I'm applying to dental school is that if I'm not cut out for surgery I can still work with my hands and be creative, I just don't want to spend every second of the day pulling wisdom teeth.

Thanks..

Hello,

There is a program that allows oral surgeons to obtain MDs while doing their residencies....all in 4 years after finisning DDS/DMD. Is it true? I've also heard that these docs can then specialize in plastic and reconstructive surgery.....can someone tell me more about it?

thanks !

ULTRON :)

Ultron,

SOME OMS residencies do have the students do the MS3 and MS4 years, in conujunction with the normal OMS stuff. Those graduates would receive the MD degree.

In a few occasions, those graduates decide to pursure a different surgery field, other than OMS.

Radioheadblue:

I'd say most OMS still do the good 'O 3rds and dental implants (sinus lifts) as their main $$ winners. With that said, I believe there is a strong interest in Plastics as we approach in the next decade. Plastic surgery is becoming more and more popular and accepted, especially in "Superficial" metro (Phoenix, Miami, LA, Chicago, and NYC). Of course with reality shows such as Extreme Makeover and Nip & Tuck, Plastics is really gaining interest amongst many.

Aside from 3rds and dental implants, orthognathic surgeries (collaboration with Orthodontists and Pedodontists) are pretty common also and then trauma of course (if you're affliated with hospital(S) in a bigger city).

I think that you applying to dental school is the correct pathway because OMS is a dental specialty PLUS if you ever (re)gain the urges to be a MD, you can always apply to the OMS/MD route which will open more surgical practice options to you.

Simply put, you can't beat dentistry! OMS just adds that much more action and excitment to it!!!

Originally posted by Yah-E
I think that you applying to dental school is the correct pathway because OMS is a dental specialty PLUS if you ever (re)gain the urges to be a MD, you can always apply to the OMS/MD route which will open more surgical practice options to you.

Yeah, but you'd have to complete 2 residencies if you want to do something other than OMS.

With the MD route, you are done in (4 + residency years).

The dentist route requires (4 + OMS residency + other residency years).

OMS (MD) are all 6 years I believe.

Originally posted by ULTRON
Hello,

There is a program that allows oral surgeons to obtain MDs while doing their residencies....all in 4 years after finisning DDS/DMD. Is it true? I've also heard that these docs can then specialize in plastic and reconstructive surgery.....can someone tell me more about it?

thanks !

ULTRON :)

I dont know of a single MD/OMFS program which is less than 6 years.