Oral Maxillofacial surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelloKitty1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
can you do oral maxillofacial surgery (OMFS) with only a DO degree. i'm asking because people who graduate from dental school can do a residency in OMFS but then they also get a MD degree. So i want to know that If I already have a DO degree, can I do a residency in it?

Members don't see this ad.

can you do oral maxillofacial surgery (OMFS) with only a DO degree. i'm asking because people who graduate from dental school can do a residency in OMFS but then they also get a MD degree. So i want to know that If I already have a DO degree, can I do a residency in it?

I highly doubt it..you'd probably have to get your DMD (or DDS) first..or I think NSU has a dual degree program that grants both (DO/DMD). You have to have a degree in dentistry at the very least to get into this field, some obtain their MD (or possibly DO) at the same time or somewhere down the line.

For OMFS, to my knowledge, you have to go to dental school and get your DDS/DMD first and then during your OMFS "residency" err whatever, you earn your medical degree. I'm not sure any of these residencies are partnered with DO programs, so my guess is that it's dental + MD. Keep in mind that you can still do ENT/Facial Plastics, PRS, G-surg -> cosmetics, etc, as a DO. Also, OMFS, from what I understand, is very, very competitive and a huge commitment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that you can still do ENT/Facial Plastics, PRS, G-surg -> cosmetics

How do general surgeons get into cosmetic surgery?

You can do a 2-3 year fellowship (or second residency as some programs put it) in plastic and reconstructive surgery, then strictly practice cosmetic surgery, or you can do a "fellowship" which is actually more of a preceptorship, through an organization like the American academy of cosmetic surgery.

How do general surgeons get into cosmetic surgery?

You can specialize in practically any sub-field of surgery after getting board certified in general surgery. Like Jagger said, its just a few more years of fellowship (after the 5 years of gen surg). This excludes maxillofacial surgery, unfortunately.

..or I think NSU has a dual degree program that grants both (DO/DMD).

NSUCOM does offer a DO/DMD program. It is 7 years long...From my understanding you do your first 2 years of medical school, three years of dental school, and then your last 2 years of medical school...

You can specialize in practically any sub-field of surgery after getting board certified in general surgery. Like Jagger said, its just a few more years of fellowship (after the 5 years of gen surg...

does this include ENT or ortho?

On that note I've seen match lists that say "otalryngology" and others that say "otalryngology and facial plastc surgery". Are those 2 separte residencies or did some schools just not write the plastics part cus they figure is understood?

does this include ENT or ortho?

Ortho is its own thing, you typically match straight out of 4th year for that. For ENT you can get board certified in general surgery first and then do your training for otolaryngology or whatever afterwards (I think its actually considered a second residency..). You can also match straight into a program for it after 4th year (categorical). No idea which route is more common, and it is hard to say which is more difficult.

On that note I've seen match lists that say "otalryngology" and others that say "otalryngology and facial plastc surgery". Are those 2 separte residencies or did some schools just not write the plastics part cus they figure is understood?

Well..I'm not entirely sure because that is not something I have looked into (and probably never will), but I would assume they are different. You can go into so many different sub-fields of ENT, all with different scopes of practice, and plastics/reconstruction is just one of them. When you get to this specific of a sub-field, there are generally fellowships for each specific thing. So basically my guess is that one gets board certified in otolaryngology, and then does a fellowship for plastics, peds, oncology or whatever little niche fits their fancy.

So to answer your question, it would appear that some categorical spots may be more general than others. Some you match into the field of otoloaryngology, and some you commit to the reconstructive route. But its hard to tell.

I could be spouting nonesense because I'm not all that familiar with this stuff, so don't take my word as the end-all be-all :D

I've worked for OMF surgeons for 3 years.. you have to go through dental school then apply for the MD program.
One of the faculty members at UCSF tried to open a DDS/DO program.. not sure how the progress is going on that... but yess, 4 years DD then 2 years MD... it is a very long route!
I love OMFS, but wouldn't be able to get through dental schoo.. not my thing

OMFS is a specialty of dentistry (albeit one with a lot of surgical overlap. It's not uncommon to see an OMFS resident rotating on a gen surg service for a time). You get DDS or DMD and do either a 4 year residency or an integrated 6 year OMFS residency with four years OMFS + 2 years of med school to earn the MD. As a non-dentist, I have no idea what the true advantages of this are, but there are discussions in the appropriate fora if you go looking.

Ortho is open to MDs and DOs. There are some AOA ortho residencies. Either way it is a five year residency after medical school. Otolaryngology (and it is all just semantics whether it's called Otolaryngology, Otorhinolaryngology, ENT, Oto. & head and neck surgery [Oto-HNS], or Oto and Facial Plastics-the 5 year residency is to get boarded in Oto.). It too is a five year residency. Most ortho and ENT residencies have gone away from doing a gen surg PGY1 followed by PGY2-5 in the specialty and now have a PGY1 that is predominantly specialty focused. This is at least true, to my knowledge, in the allo world; I'm less sure in the osteo world but you can look it up. Very few ENTs did a gen surg + ENT residency, unless they just figured out late in their training that they wanted to do ENT and not gen surg. ENT is not a fellowship, it is its own primary specialty.

OMFS is a specialty of dentistry (albeit one with a lot of surgical overlap. It's not uncommon to see an OMFS resident rotating on a gen surg service for a time). You get DDS or DMD and do either a 4 year residency or an integrated 6 year OMFS residency with four years OMFS + 2 years of med school to earn the MD. As a non-dentist, I have no idea what the true advantages of this are, but there are discussions in the appropriate fora if you go looking.

Ortho is open to MDs and DOs. There are some AOA ortho residencies. Either way it is a five year residency after medical school. Otolaryngology (and it is all just semantics whether it's called Otolaryngology, Otorhinolaryngology, ENT, Oto. & head and neck surgery [Oto-HNS], or Oto and Facial Plastics-the 5 year residency is to get boarded in Oto.). It too is a five year residency. Most ortho and ENT residencies have gone away from doing a gen surg PGY1 followed by PGY2-5 in the specialty and now have a PGY1 that is predominantly specialty focused. This is at least true, to my knowledge, in the allo world; I'm less sure in the osteo world but you can look it up. Very few ENTs did a gen surg + ENT residency, unless they just figured out late in their training that they wanted to do ENT and not gen surg. ENT is not a fellowship, it is its own primary specialty.

Awesome information!! thanks for clearing it all up for us.