Oral Pathology Hospital/Program Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jes1ca

OP Resident
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a fourth year dental student and applying for Oral Pathology residencies. I've been accepted into two programs out of three applications (non-match) and I was wondering if you could give me some insight into the hospital part of the two residencies (since I would essentially be on ENT, rad/onc, etc rotations with medical pathology residents for 7 months). Or if you could give me your feelings about the pathology departments at the two schools. The schools are University of Iowa and University of North Carolina Chapel Hill.

Thanks for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a fourth year dental student and applying for Oral Pathology residencies. I've been accepted into two programs out of three applications (non-match) and I was wondering if you could give me some insight into the hospital part of the two residencies (since I would essentially be on ENT, rad/onc, etc rotations with medical pathology residents for 7 months). Or if you could give me your feelings about the pathology departments at the two schools. The schools are University of Iowa and University of North Carolina Chapel Hill.

Thanks for any insight!

I don't know about those particular programs, but as an MD pathology resident there are not usually any "clinical" rotations. I am assuming that by rad/onc, you mean that you would be seeing patients with the radiation oncologists and the same for ENT? For us, there are essentially no more rotations like that beyond 4th year of medical school.

How long is oral pathology residency? It sounds like a cool option.

How long is oral pathology residency? It sounds like a cool option.

This is from the Columbia program.

I. Clinical Training
During the first 18 months (PGY I and the half of PGY 2), the residents will be functioning as Medical Anatomical Pathology residents within the Pathology Residency Training Program at New York Presbyterian Hospital – Columbia Presbyterian Center.
PGY I Autopsy (5 month) / Surgical Pathology (4 month) /
Orthopaedic Pathology (1 month)/
Hematopathology (1 month) / Cytology(1 month)
PGY 2 Surgical Pathology (4 month) /
Dermatopathology (1 month) / Clinical Pathology (1 month)
A desk with microscope and computer is provided to each resident in the resident's room.

Autopsy Rotation (A minimum of twenty autopsies must be obtained to meet the requirements of The American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology). During the Autopsy Rotation the resident will learn to: 1) Independently perform a full post-mortem examination, 2) Identify and photo-document diseased organs and tissues, 3) Take organ, blood and body fluid cultures when appropriate, 4) Prepare tissue sections for fixation and processing, 5) Interpret microscopic slides to identify and diagnose pathologic tissue alterations, 6) Synthesize all the available clinical and pathologic information to formulate a meaningful differential diagnosis regarding the patient's clinical progress and cause of death, 7) Ably communicate the pathologic findings and conclusions to professional colleagues, 8) Fulfill professional obligations in an efficient, courteous and timely manner (e.g. provisional diagnosis in 48 hours; final diagnosis in 30 days)
Surgical Pathology Rotation When the surgical specimen is received (i.e. various tumor and organ resection specimens), each resident is expected to examine and take sections of the specimen. Then the sections are processed into microscopic slides, which are viewed with the attending pathologist for sign-out. During the sign-out, the salient morphologic findings and microscopic examination will be integrated with the composite gross and clinical findings to render a precise diagnosis. Problems in differential diagnosis will be stressed, and the appropriate differential stains, immunohistochemistry and biomolecular diagnostics will be discussed in order to arrive at a precise diagnosis.
Laboratory Medicine The relevant topics from laboratory medicine , including clinical chemistry, microbiology and immunology will be emphasized concurrently throughout the 18-month rotation.
The second half (18months) of this program is basically devoted to oral pathology.

PGY 2 & 3 Oral Pathology (18 month)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Our oral path residents basically do an entire year (their PGY-2 year) of what our PGY-1 residents do for surg path. Gross, autopsy, preview, signout, etc.

Haha thanks for the replies.

I don't know that I could tell people that I am subspecialized in oral with a straight face.

we recently had a consult case where the submitting pathologist was adament that a someone with experience in oral look at the case...:smuggrin: