Orascoptic HDL prisms feedback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I currently have an Orascoptic eyezoom (switch from 3x,4x,5x) with ultralight LED + battery (no XV1). I heard XV1 battery last for only 1.5hrs each so you have 3 hrs for 2 batteries. but the XV1 frame is so bulky.

the orascoptic eyezoom is around 90g, like 20g heavier than regular loupes (they usually weight 60-70g). and does not feel heavy at all when you tighten the head strap. and since the magnification cones are a bit larger, the sales rep recommend maxing out the declination angle so you will not need to bend your neck or anything. I like that loupe and think it is the best choice I make. a few other classmates and myself max out our declination angle and have no problem with the loupes and don't have to send them back in for adjustment

I paid 2200$ for the loupe and 400$ for ultralight. the battery usually last for 16-20 hrs which is amazing

regular orascoptic loupe is 1500$ so the eyezoom is only 700$ more but you have like 3 loupes into one.
Do you use their regular frames?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you use their regular frames?

Hi, yes I get the iconic frame with rectangular lens shape

what i think is I will use this loupe in the next 10 years or so so choosing a stylish frame now (like oakley or nike sport frame) will not be in style any more in the future is kind of risky.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have to get the XV1 light?
The XV1 light is the same light Orascoptic sells for their other frames, it's just integrated into the frame.

I currently have an Orascoptic eyezoom (switch from 3x,4x,5x) with ultralight LED + battery (no XV1). I heard XV1 battery last for only 1.5hrs each so you have 3 hrs for 2 batteries. but the XV1 frame is so bulky.
I was worried about this when I was considering getting them or not. But I get 6 hours of use on high power on a single charge. However it comes with 2 pairs, so I always have a pair that's charged. Changing the batteries takes 30 seconds, so it's not an issue for me.

I agree with you on your choice of frames. The iconic frames seem sturdier also. Good call on maxing out declination.

Members don't see this ad :)
The XV1 light is the same light Orascoptic sells for their other frames, it's just integrated into the frame.

I was worried about this when I was considering getting them or not. But I get 6 hours of use on high power on a single charge. However it comes with 2 pairs, so I always have a pair that's charged. Changing the batteries takes 30 seconds, so it's not an issue for me.

I agree with you on your choice of frames. The iconic frames seem sturdier also. Good call on maxing out declination.

yeah. the iconic frame is very solid. orascoptic lets u add in prescription free of charge and get it changed again before u graduate, which is a plus.

a lot of people who order eyezoom or other HDL didn't max out declination and usually have to send them back. so the sales prep just said to max out declination and it will be just perfect. and honestly, it is. I kind of love the orascoptic sales rep too. very solid on time from ordering to receiving loupe

yeah. the iconic frame is very solid. orascoptic lets u add in prescription free of charge and get it changed again before u graduate, which is a plus.

a lot of people who order eyezoom or other HDL didn't max out declination and usually have to send them back. so the sales prep just said to max out declination and it will be just perfect. and honestly, it is. I kind of love the orascoptic sales rep too. very solid on time from ordering to receiving loupe

how long does it take form ordering to receiving? The eyezoom specifically

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You decide on the 4.5X on the Legend frame? What about light? Who are you going with for that?

You recommend legend? I already have a lumdaent light with 2.5 mag. Unfortunately at buffalo, you're required to only have 2.5 for pre-clinic.

That's awesome. If you don't need another light that saves you a bunch of $.
I personally have the XV1. But if you don't need another light then I don't see the need to buy it. I would definitely recommend the Legend frames over the Oakley's or the other options. It's sturdier. And IMO I don't think fashion should be a consideration in this purchase; these are tools/equipment, not accessories. Other folks may disagree, and that's their prerogative. But that's just my personal view.

I love my setup now, but I was considering getting a second pair as a backup. I was thinking of getting the 4.5X on Legend frames. How do you like your Lumadent? I hear great reviews on their lights and batteries. I'm not sure if I should get Lumadent or go with Orascoptic lights. What would you recommend?

That's awesome. If you don't need another light that saves you a bunch of $.
I personally have the XV1. But if you don't need another light then I don't see the need to buy it. I would definitely recommend the Legend frames over the Oakley's or the other options. It's sturdier. And IMO I don't think fashion should be a consideration in this purchase; these are tools/equipment, not accessories. Other folks may disagree, and that's their prerogative. But that's just my personal view.

I love my setup now, but I was considering getting a second pair as a backup. I was thinking of getting the 4.5X on Legend frames. How do you like your Lumadent? I hear great reviews on their lights and batteries. I'm not sure if I should get Lumadent or go with Orascoptic lights. What would you recommend?

I agree on sturdiness, I currently have flak jacket frames and felt really stable with.

I like my light a lot, battery easy to use, holds a big charge, affordable. I saw some of my classmates batteries and they're a bit more bulkier than mine, despite mine lasting longer. I have no complaints.

Talked to a few faculty and all of them said 2.5x should be more than enough. If i go through with this purchase of 4.5x, I might have the highest magnification in the building lol.

Really figured i would have heard more positive feed back

Members don't see this ad :)
Talked to a few faculty and all of them said 2.5x should be more than enough. If i go through with this purchase of 4.5x, I might have the highest magnification in the building lol.

Really figured i would have heard more positive feed back

2.5x is hardly a difference from normal vision, and most of these faculty started off their career without loupes so I wouldn't count anyone's opinion unless they've actually used higher magnification loupes.

3.5x is a minimum.

I definitely got some "Oooh's and Ahhh's" from folks who thought they were really cool. Some said they were jealous :cool:

Got my 4.5 HDL Omni Legend's today.

I'm actually playing with the idea to get the 5.5x instead. I have 2.5 before and I was expecting more of a....change?

Depth of field seems much smaller compared to my 2.5. I'm guessing thats the norm for prismatic lenses?

Got my 4.5 HDL Omni Legend's today.

I'm actually playing with the idea to get the 5.5x instead. I have 2.5 before and I was expecting more of a....change?

Depth of field seems much smaller compared to my 2.5. I'm guessing thats the norm for prismatic lenses?
Yeah that's normal. I actually like that because it encourages good ergonomics.
See how you like the 4.5's. If you decide you want 5.5x, the beauty is you don't need to get them instead, but also. :cool:

Yeah that's normal. I actually like that because it encourages good ergonomics.
See how you like the 4.5's. If you decide you want 5.5x, the beauty is you don't need to get them instead, but also. :cool:

I actually love my loupes now, even for cleanings. Turns out I see more in a patients mouth than when I was practicing in a typodont

Ergonomically speaking, Q-optics and Surgitel offer the greatest declination angles, so I would recommend one of those if you value your neck.

I currently use 5.5x that I upgraded to in my D3 year after first using 3.0x. I have never ever ever once regretted increasing the magnification. It has helped in every single aspect of my practice of dentistry.

My only regret is that I switched from the Oakley frames to the surgitel titanium frames because I needed an Rx. I should have stuck with the Oakleys and gotten the drop-in prescription lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
I have enjoyed lightweight they are, until I tried on a 4.5x

I have them. Totally worth it. IMO this is one of those purchases that you go big with. I absolutely love them because I have the option of zooming in/out, and I use that option. TBH most of them time I'm using 5x, but I dial it down to 4x very often. Plus they are made with Konica Minolta optics, and the clarity is out of this world. I have zero buyers remorse. $1K in the grand scheme of things is nothing when you consider the value of your eyes and hands.
Think of it this way, do you regret your first loupe purchase? Was it because it was more economical? If so, do not make the same mistake twice. I'm not trying to put you down, I just think certain purchases should not be so financially restricted. You will be using these every single day, for years. And after you get used to them, you cannot imagine using only a 3.5X.

Ergonomically speaking, Q-optics and Surgitel offer the greatest declination angles, so I would recommend one of those if you value your neck.

I currently use 5.5x that I upgraded to in my D3 year after first using 3.0x. I have never ever ever once regretted increasing the magnification. It has helped in every single aspect of my practice of dentistry.

My only regret is that I switched from the Oakley frames to the surgitel titanium frames because I needed an Rx. I should have stuck with the Oakleys and gotten the drop-in prescription lenses.

At 5x/5.5x, are u still able to see the quadrant?

Didn't want to start a new thread so necroing this one. Anybody have any comments on the durability of their XV1s? I was looking at the XV1s with 3.5 HDLs and am only concerned with durability but love everything else. Also was wondering if anybody could quote me what they paid for an XV1+eyezoom. My rep was saying near 5k which is unfortunate..