This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

latinadentist

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I came on here b/c I'm looking for some honest opinions on things I can do to improve my chances of matching at an ortho residency. I am a new D2, and let's just say that the D1 year was not what I expected in many different aspects. I feel like I have a handle on things now and know it will be a battle. Any thoughts and feedback are welcome. Here is what I'm currently working with / plan on doing:

- Currently low GPA, but I optimistically think I can get it to a 3.3 by the end of D3 year (yes that's getting a 3.8 - 4.0 in each semester moving forward). Could be higher but to my understanding, I would apply for ortho residency before D4 fall grades are posted. Im also not counting on the master's classes as I am unsure if it would be on the same transcript or separate. Class rank unsure at the moment.

- Born in Latin American country (not specifying for privacy reasons) & Fluent Spanish speaker

- I absolutely love orthodontics

- Plan on completing a Masters in Oral Biology & Research from the masters in oral biology

- additional research through faculty and ortho residents end of D2 summer

- ASDA member (no leadership position this year but hopefully next year)

- Class representative (all first-year) (will target ortho classes as they come)

- I attend one of the oldest dental schools in the country (would consider it a "respectable" school)

Besides what I have mentioned above, is there anything else I can do? Would I have a better chance at a Match or Non-Match school?

Members don't see this ad.

You are going to want to figure out your class ranking...
From what I understand, that is significantly more important than any extracurriculars, so I would focus on getting 4.0. From what I have heard class ranking is more important than your gpa because you could be at a dental school with a gpa 3.3 and ranked (20/80). or at different dental school have a gpa of 3.55 and rank (72/80). Program directors like to see how you did compared to your peers. This is of course difficult for a P/F unranked program though.

Some ortho programs do require/prefer certain gpas though. Colorado for example prefers applicants having a minimum of a 3.5gpa. Every program is a little different though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user