Orascoptic or Surgitel loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental916

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the orascoptic rep was at nyu today. I tried on a pair of through the lens loupes and really liked them, but a few of my friends have the oakley surgitel loupes with that are flip ups. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I just searched a little....after i posted and found some good ideas, but if you still would like to say something...go for it.

I use Orascoptics myself - I have the through-the lens type. I've heard that flip-ups are not made to last...hinges weaken and something's bound to go wrong...I have a lot of my classmates who end up getting them serviced with flip-ups.

as far as companies go - I don't really know... orascoptic vs surgitel? If you don't want to get a "design for vision" brand which will cost you a lot more...just go with surgitel, which are a bit more cheaper than orascoptics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use Orascoptics myself - I have the through-the lens type. I've heard that flip-ups are not made to last...hinges weaken and something's bound to go wrong...I have a lot of my classmates who end up getting them serviced with flip-ups.

as far as companies go - I don't really know... orascoptic vs surgitel? If you don't want to get a "design for vision" brand which will cost you a lot more...just go with surgitel, which are a bit more cheaper than orascoptics.

I have DFV loupes and I love them, plus they are not much more expensive than the surgitel or orascoptic loupes. That being said, I really think it comes down to personal preference. I believe that DFV make a product that is going to last a long time, are they the "coolest" loupes, no they are not, but hopefully they last me a long time. I know many people who have the oakley loupes and they seem to like them. I also know many who have orascoptic TTL loupes and like those as well. I suggest trying them all on (if that is possible) and buying whatever you feel most comfortable in.

I liked the feel of the Surgitel the best but one of our upperclassment had a piece break on his flip ups and Surgitel wouldn't warrentee it by saying that it was made by an outsourced company. I don't know if this is just what this guy was saying or if it was true but it made me go with the orascopics. I tried DFV and they fealt like a quality made product but they didn't fit my head as well as the orascopics. I don't think you would really go wrong with any of them. Just get the ones that you like the best. I liked the titanium frames and our school wouldn't even give us the chance for the Oakley frames which was OK by me, I never really liked Oakleys anyways.

Basically...its not the brand, but rather TTL or flip ups. I'm leaning towards TTL after trying a pair...they felt perfect even though I haven't really tried on flip ups.

Basically...its not the brand, but rather TTL or flip ups. I'm leaning towards TTL after trying a pair...they felt perfect even though I haven't really tried on flip ups.

Go with TTL. With TTL the scopes are closer to your eye (were they should be) which gives you a wider field of vision. The flip-ups sit a little father away (because they have too due to being on the other side of the lens) which decreases your field of view. I personally went with DFV with the titanium frames.

Beware of Orascoptic's customer service.

They sent me the wrong loops, then made me pay for insured shipping back to them, even though the mistake was their fault. I got pissed and told them I would just return them under their 90 day "free" no-hassle-trial period, and then they told me there would be a 15% restocking fee.

Go with DFV. My classmates have gotten better customer service. Their rep comes to the school personally, if you have problems with your loupes. And their loupes are only slightly more expensive than Orascoptic since DFV doesn't charge sales tax.

Sorry to hear about your customer service mishaps, but I have found their customer service to be helpful. TTL vs flip-ups for me came down to the fact eh flip ups felt hevier and it seemed I had to adjust them more as they slid down my nose. Maybe just me. TTL do provide a better range of vision. Just my thoughts, and as stated severla times before, go with one your comfortable with becuase if your not comfortable, the patinet is not comfortable.

TTL vs. flip ups. Basically less moving parts = less chance of breakage

I've got 2 pairs of orascoptics myself, my 2.5x TTL's that I use as my "everyday" loupes for about 90% my procedures, and a pair of 4.5x TTL's that I use for endo and some final finish work crown and bridge procedures.

I really like how light the TTL's paired to a titanium frame are, and have found that the customer service from orascoptic to be great (I needed a small adjustment of my intra pupillary distance on my 4.5X pair and I was remeasured and my loupes repaired and back to me in less than 5 business days!)

Just try before you buy, because not every loupe will work for everyone's needs, and until you try them on and see/feel what a particular model is like you won't know what is best for you.

thanks for the replies. The orascoptic rep is coming again this week to nyu, but i'm thinking about waiting to go to the new york's greater dental meeting convention thats in late november. I'm sure all vendors will be there.

http://www.gnydm.com/

FYI, design for vision also has very nice loupes and they will fit you and let you try them out for a few weeks before you commit to buying them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went ahead with the rep from orascoptic yesterday and picked up a pair of TTL's. I'm excited to try them out.

I went ahead with the rep from orascoptic yesterday and picked up a pair of TTL's. I'm excited to try them out.

Do I dare ask what price the orascoptic student rate is?? For comparison, the "show special" rate I received last year for my 2.5x ttl's at the Yankee Dental Congress in Boston was $1305 (including shipping and handling). I figure I'll be paying orascoptic about another $1000 in a week and a half at the ADA meeting in Vegas when I get a 2nd xeon battery pack light (one for each pair of loupes). The one thing that I will say about being a dentist is that we have some really cool "toys" to play with all day, it's just that they also tend to have a nice price tag associated with them!;) :D

i just bought a pair or orascoptic 2.5 TTL. Our student price is $825.

825 as well.

Wow, last year they were just a little over 700. I should have bought two pair back then.

This thread is a little old, but I can tell you that I've tried just about all the brands out there (even the cheapo brands). Surgitel and Oroscopic are the best build quality.

Many are saying that the TTL versions don't break as often. Thats a lie. The loups simply fall out of the lenses or the lenses crack under the continued stress of the loups. I personally have Surgitel flip-downs and I like the fact that I can flip them up to talk directly to patients. They are plenty sturdy and come with a long (they call lifetime which is BS) warranty on build quality.

Edit: a year later I recommend against SurgiTel for their extremely poor customer service.

Last edited:
one more thing.

I've found that the Loupe light is just as if not more important than Loupes. Unfortunately the majority of lights are ridiculously expensive and the china brands are just garbage. Even worse, there seems to be little correlation between price and quality across manufacturers.

I've developed my own and have offered them to the UCSF SOD for a much more affordable price. The product will be the same or better than the most popular lights out there.

Basic specs:
At its highest setting, its way too bright to work with.
Push button on/off and adjustable brightness
9hr+ batt life at MAX setting (15hrs+ at medium)
Light itself weighs about 7 grams (maybe less)
16.6mm X 17mm

TOTALLY customizable for bulk orders. your name, school logo, frat logo, whatever you want laser engraved.

Currently I've only made the mount for the Surgitel flip-downs because thats what everyone in my class uses. There is also a mount to attach to standard safety glasses, and most TTL Loupes. Any frame that has a somewhat thick nose piece will be compatible. The SurgiTel Oakley style TTL's and the black Designs for Vision frames are good examples.

Sample Image 1: http://goo.gl/toIcr
Sample Image 2: http://goo.gl/6uKBK

Last edited:
This thread is a little old, but I can tell you that I've tried just about all the brands out there (even the cheapo brands). Surgitel and Oroscopic are the best build quality.

Many are saying that the TTL versions don't break as often. Thats a lie. The loups simply fall out of the lenses or the lenses crack under the continued stress of the loups. I personally have Surgitel flip-downs and I like the fact that I can flip them up to talk directly to patients. They are plenty sturdy and come with a long (they call lifetime which is BS) warranty on build quality.

What the heck are you guys doing to your loupes to have the lenses crack/fallout??? :confused:

I've got a BIG head - I need a size 8 1/4 for fitted hats :eek: and that's even snug. My loupes go on/off my head, between my own patients and hygiene checks 150 to 200 times a week. My regular pair of loupes, Orascoptic 2.5x ttl's is almost 5 and a half years old(that's close to 50,000 times of flexing the frame/lenses as I put them on/take them off), and aside from having to replace the silicone nose piece, no maintenace issues at all.

Your second post is starting to make a little sense. You've developed a light that fits flip-ups great and want to sell it, gotcha ;)

I love my oakley surgitel flip-ups. Pretty much everybody in my class loves the loupes they have chosen for whatever reason.

I tell this to D1s and anyone else who will listen; the best pair of loupes out there is the one you feel the most comfortable with in whatever regard you feel is important.

clarity of vision/quality of lenses, magnification, standard vs. expanded field, flip-up vs. TTL, sports frame vs. standard, esthetics, price, weight, customer service, reputation, durability; these are all reasons why people choose one pair of loupes over another. Only you know what is most important to you. I recommend you try on as many loupes as you can get your hands on, preferably those bought by classmates so you don't have a salesman breathing down your neck, and decide what you like best.

one more thing.

Sample Image: http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/6369/sample101.jpg

This is the first time I've told an outside source about the light.

Very interested in this light. I'm a UCSF grad. Please keep me posted.

As for dental loupes, I found out that the correct working distance is one of the most important aspect. During your trial period, be sure to be aware of whether the working distance is optimal for you. After 5 years of working in private practice, I've developed quite severe aches on my back and shoulder. After attending an ergo lecture, I became more aware of different aspects that would cause bad posture. It's sad but it's only after 5 yrs and an ergo lecture that I realize that my loupes are not optimal for me. So I ordered new loupes, and just within days, I noticed a big difference; my back and shoulder feel so much better now. I personally have flip-ups because I need prescription lens, so I think flip-ups are the most convenient for me. Also, the ergo lecture recommended flip-ups because they are adjustable.

Why would you think that the Surgitel lifetime warranty is BS?

I have both Surgitel and Orascoptic flip-ups.

Why would you think that the Surgitel lifetime warranty is BS?

I have both Surgitel and Orascoptic flip-ups.

SurgiTel is the major supplier of Loupes to UCSF (my school). Their customer service is the worst I've ever seen. I haven't been able to get them to honor any warranties or policies that they're supposed to have. Numerous complaints are made to the UCSF administration about this dilemma each year...

Reactions: 1 user
SurgiTel is the major supplier of Loupes to UCSF (my school). Their customer service is the worst I've ever seen. I haven't been able to get them to honor any warranties or policies that they're supposed to have. Numerous complaints are made to the UCSF administration about this dilemma each year...

I've also heard quite a few people in my school (University of Pittsburgh) saying about their problems with surgitel's customer service. The frames just seem somewhat cheaper and less sturdy than the orascoptic frame, but that could just be my experience of only about 10 different surgitel loupes.

Personally, I have a pair of 2.5X TTL Orascoptic Loupes that I love. They are light and the Rudy Project frames are sturdy, flexible and adjustable (this is important to me because I have a larger than average head width). I have also found Orascoptic's customer service to be superb, for example I had broken a sideshield and I called them and they mailed me a new pair of sideshields within 4 business days. This kind of customer service has been difficult for me to find elsewhere.

PM me if anybody has any further questions about the orascoptic loupes or loupes in general. I'm a D2 at Pitt.

I've also heard quite a few people in my school (University of Pittsburgh) saying about their problems with surgitel's customer service. The frames just seem somewhat cheaper and less sturdy than the orascoptic frame, but that could just be my experience of only about 10 different surgitel loupes.

Personally, I have a pair of 2.5X TTL Orascoptic Loupes that I love. They are light and the Rudy Project frames are sturdy, flexible and adjustable (this is important to me because I have a larger than average head width). I have also found Orascoptic's customer service to be superb, for example I had broken a sideshield and I called them and they mailed me a new pair of sideshields within 4 business days. This kind of customer service has been difficult for me to find elsewhere.

PM me if anybody has any further questions about the orascoptic loupes or loupes in general. I'm a D2 at Pitt.

You are a DS2, but you have had about 10 pairs of Surgitel Loupes? Are we exagerating a little?

Would like to share my own experience after having tried Orascoptic, Surgitel and DFV I decided to go for TTL from Univet, these loupes are designed and made in Italy. I really liked their customer service and believe price point is also quite competitive

Would like to share my own experience after having tried Orascoptic, Surgitel and DFV I decided to go for TTL from Univet, these loupes are designed and made in Italy. I really liked their customer service and believe price point is also quite competitive

Do you mind me asking what type of loupes that are and what was the price?
I am not into the school yet, and I hear of the student discounts, would that make it more expensive if I am to buy it at regular price?