order of 3rd year clerkships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr barb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first block consists of Psych/Neuro, Family med, and internal med. What would be the best order to do these in, taking into consideration that I want to start my second block with surgery?
Does it really matter what the order is? Does doing one first help with the others?

Thanks,
barb

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't really matter, but at the same time, it depends on what you want to do for a living. In general, internal medicine lays down the fundamentals and so it'll help you on exams later on. Most people don't give a crap about family and psych because those are easy rotations. Family shelf covers a lot of stuff from all over, so it's a hard exam to study for. Do psych/family first if you just want to get warmed up. The bonus for doing internal med first is that you're coming off your Step 1's, which will help you. It also helps with shelves later on. What will be tough though is applying the internal med stuff later on because you'll have a tendency to forget it. If internal med takes up a lot of time at your school, you might want to consider family, med, psych, surgery to break up the hours.

thanks lowbudget!