Order of Classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RHeff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start taking pre-med classes in the fall. I graduated from college in '06 and didn't take any science classes. If I take one or two classes a semester (still working full-time), which ones should I start with? Any help on what order to take things would be great. Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend warming up with some math, not necessarily calculus, but a class that prepares you for the problem solving you'll see in physics & gen chem. Even if you took math before, do some more as a warmup. If you can get an A in this math class, then full steam ahead. If you can't get an A, then don't take more classes until you figure out how to get A's.

Gen chem, bio & physics can be taken whenever you want. Organic chem is generally not taken until after gen chem.

Best of luck to you.

I recommend warming up with some math, not necessarily calculus, but a class that prepares you for the problem solving you'll see in physics & gen chem. Even if you took math before, do some more as a warmup. If you can get an A in this math class, then full steam ahead. If you can't get an A, then don't take more classes until you figure out how to get A's.

Gen chem, bio & physics can be taken whenever you want. Organic chem is generally not taken until after gen chem.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks. I was thinking about taking bio and an alg/trig course at the same time. Would that make sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I was thinking about taking bio and an alg/trig course at the same time. Would that make sense?

Do you really need these math classes?

I assume that if you got a real shiny college degree they made you at least take calculus. If so, I think you are good as far as math goes.

I would make sure that you knock out Chemistry as soon as possible, since I would bet that Chem is a prereq for Organic, and Organic is (at least at my school) the only premed course that has prereqs.

How good is your math?

If not, you should get really comfortable with it before attempting gen. chem. & physics. If you are still extremely comfortable with math through pre-calc, I'd recommend Gen Chem first and Orgo last leading right up to the MCAT.

Some think it's intuitive to Gen Chem + Bio, then Orgo + Physics. That's a nice balance b/n a calculation class and a details-driven class. Others prefer doing the calculations first (Gen Chem + Physics), and leaving the detail classes (Bio + Orgo) leading up to the MCAT.

Agree with these folks. First the math. Then the math again to make sure.

Then how about this:

Physics 1 and 2 while taking math--presuming algebraic prowess.
Followed by gen chem 1 w/ bio 1.
Then organic 1 w/ bio 2.
Then organic 2 w/ gen chem 2.

That's how i did it. And found it perfectly arranged to suit my mentals.

most colleges will require chem 2 before orgo 1. or maybe in my area all of them do. personally i would say math over summer, bio/chem first year, orgo/phys second year.

Agree with these folks. First the math. Then the math again to make sure.

Am I missing something here?
Why is everyone stressing math so much.

The hardest math in any of the science prereqs is basic algebra, or maybe trigonometry if you think that is harder.

I suck at math, but if I had a college degree (even four years ago), I would expect to be able to refresh these concepts in a weekend.

Is the math really that difficult at good schools (my school certainly isnt good)...

I'm just a little confused.

deleted.

I'm going to start taking pre-med classes in the fall. I graduated from college in '06 and didn't take any science classes. If I take one or two classes a semester (still working full-time), which ones should I start with? Any help on what order to take things would be great. Thanks...

Last edited:
OP, I'm actually in the exact same boat as you. I graduated in '08 and will be taking my first science courses this summer. I'll be taking Gen Chem first, and then in the fall it'll be Bio and my 2nd semester of Gen Chem. Then on to 2nd semester of Bio and Org Chem, etc.

I'm not sure if I'm proceeding the way I should but I figured Gen Chem would be my most difficult course and so I opted to take it first, alone, and in the summer.

Good luck in your journey and I hope to see you on the other side!

Math aside...

BIO I and CHEM I
BIO II and CHEM II
PHYS I and O CHEM
PHYS II and I CHEM