"Order of Protection" put on my friend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teckno05

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT
UPDATE ON THE SITUATION!
Alright so all charges were dismissed on my friend. Order of protection dropped because it was "unfounded". The prosecutors side didn't do anything they were supposed to do (didn't get any evidence over 4 months) because they really didn't have any. So the result:

No conviction. No charge. No order of protection on record. The only problem is he now was "1 arrest" from when he turned himself in. Which he can get expunged before the next application cycle. It would go under "getting expunged because you were innocent". When getting something expunged you are legally allowed to pretend it never happened when applying for jobs or schools. The only people that will have it on record are things like the FBI and CIA etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong in any of this. And thanks for your unwavering confidence!
EDIT OVER

Sup ya'll. I'm writing this for my buddy because he wants to stay anonymous. He wants to know if any of this will come up on background checks or interviews or anything so I'm just going to copy paste this. It happened in NYC.

"Hey guys, so long story short I have an Order of Protection put on me from a judge because of an incident with my last gf. I've never been convicted of any crimes. But I did have to turn myself in for "processing" a week after the incident, which I think was considered an arrest. My ex and I were going out on and off for about 4 years and sometime in the last year she became a really crazy drunk. She swore she was developing a higher tolerance but really she was just getting so bad that she lost the ability to know how bad she was getting. One night we were out and we got into an argument at a club. She swung at me a few times, but she's half my size so most missed and the few that connected didn't really do anything. I calmed things down in the club, got us a taxi and made sure she got home safe because it was her birthday. I told her I was just going to sleep on the couch, and to go to her room so we could talk in the morning, because no good would come from fighting now (I was seriously debating ending everything but I knew that moment would be a very bad time). Well she started screaming at me anyway, and hitting me and telling me to leave. So I ran to grab my duffle bag while under the assault, and her door ended up with a 2 by 2 inch dent in it. She used that as an excuse to call the cops and so that she "could get the door on record and make sure I had to pay for it" (a $40 regular white door, lol.) and so when the cops came it all went under domestic violence. 5 days later when we were fine and we thought everything was over and she admitted to all her mistakes, we both got a call from a detective saying that I had to turn myself in. So I did. There was no evidence I did anything, and she literally put in a statement saying that everything was her fault because she was drunk. BUT. The District Attorney and the judge both ordered a temporary order of protection just to give the court something to use as a tool in case I did anything. The problem with these is that "temporary, really means "forever" if the girl doesn't feel like going through the trouble of taking it off. So now I'm a premed with 1 "arrest", zero convictions, and 1 Order of protection. The Order states that I just can't contact her in any way, but I don't think it has anything stating a radius or something.

If it sounds like bull****, I promise you it's not. That's just how the law is in NYC against men. And honestly, I can "kind of" see why. The detective that called me looked over the whole case, and talked to my ex, ended up sympathizing with me. He explained that NYC had a lot of cases where guys were beating up women, and every time the police or courts stepped in, these women with Stockholm syndrome and would beg the police and courts not to do anything, and would just say they fell down the stairs or something. Finally in one case a guy dropped a girl down an elevator shaft, so now no matter what happens they drop the hammer on men full force no matter what, even if you didn't touch the girl. She could drop a cup and she could say you broke it and you'll end up with one for breaking property. So thanks to everyone that's read this, please keep my story in mind when dealing with unstable women, I appreciate it your help"

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
"Tell that guy that I know it doesn't look good, the thing is this is an anonymous forum and lying wouldn't do anything other then invalidate your advice to me, which would make this thread pointless. There is literally no evidence against me, I've already gotten out of all charges. If I really did do something then I would've been charged. The only issue I face is the order of protection because the girl doesn't give a **** about me enough to go through the trouble of getting the order removed."

I have no idea but I feel for your friend. This kind of situation is not uncommon.

your friend is either a possibly abusive hothead who is dumb enough to ruin his chances at med school by going home with a girl who swings at him too......or he's a nice guy who is dumb enough to ruin his chances at med school by going home with a girl who swings at him

Reactions: 4 users
Let this be a lesson- if a girl is crazy, run, don't walk, the other way.

@mad jack is absolutely right. No [insert rude word for whatever motivates people to stay with crazy love interests] is worth dealing with the fallout from a crazy ex.
(And they absolutely come in both genders.)

Get out early. All your friend can do is be honest, admit the "property damage caused when exiting a volatile domestic situation" and hope for a sympathetic audience. Do note though, that staying in a volatile relationship for any length of time does call one's judgement into question.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"Ran to get my duffle bag and the door ended up with a dent in it".

I apologize for the paraphrasing. Anyway, that is almost a non sequitur. How exactly did the dent get in the door? Did she hit it? Did you run into it accidentally?

It's akin to me saying "I walked toward the cabinet and the glass broke" when what really happened was "While doing dishes, I dropped and broke a wet glass while walking toward the cabinet to put it away".

If she made the dent happen, then I would follow the advice about getting a lawyer.

Last edited:
get a lawyer. They are the only ones who can offer you appropriate advice.

Reactions: 3 users
"my" friend

Reactions: 3 users
1. This is probably you OP
2. You shouldn't have stayed in this volitale relationship.
3. I sort of feel bad for you, and hope this ex of yours pays the price later on. The best I can tell you to do is lawyer up, and to do so quickly.

Screw all these biased domestic violence laws.

My gut is screaming that my female Adcom members would not NE sanguine about your chances at our school.
Domestic violence can come from males or females. As a female, I feel for the guy in this situation, but his prospects don't look good.

Reactions: 5 users
Letting him use my account, his answers will be in bold.
First off thanks for the advice everyone. Even if I don't get a huge amount of info from this thread, if I can make just 1 guy learn about how the justice system works against men in cases like this, I will feel like I've done my job. I'm going to call a lawyer to see what can be done, but my main intention was to learn about how medschool background checks work and what they will see/ask me about.

"or he's a nice guy who is dumb enough to ruin his chances at med school by going home with a girl who swings at him"

It was a serious 4 year relationship, and at the time I had a couple hundred $ worth of clothes at her place. I live in NJ and she lives in the city. It was a long way home without my **** and I really did not see her calling the cops or things getting that bad coming AT ALL. I felt like I could just talk her through things like I always did. I'm premed with a strong interest towards psychiatry and that comes from my personality and the way I handle things.

"In my state an Order of Protection will show up on a background check even if the Order expired or was removed."

That sucks, but it does take a little bit of the pressure off by knowing I'm already pretty f'd in that category, but at least I would have a better position to talk about if if she would just remove it.

"Do note though, that staying in a volatile relationship for any length of time does call one's judgement into question."

This incident and the relationship has been over for 3 months, I have 1 last court date in august. They had no evidence or case so they've just been inconveniencing me by waiting for their time to run out, I've already gone 3 times. They tried making me take a plea deal for "misconduct in the 4th degree" for (damaging the door) and my court appointed lawyer told me not to take it because they don't have any case or evidence. I think they have an incentive to **** people like this because it keeps their % of convictions high.

"Its my understanding, in New York, to have an order of protection you would have to have been also charged with a a crime. You need an attorney as this is not clear cut from your description."

Misconduct in the 4th degree. Literally just means some kind of property was damaged.

"I apologize for the paraphrasing. Anyway, that is almost a non sequitur. How exactly did the dent get in the door? Did she hit it? Did you run into it accidentally?"

Picture this, left arm bent (left hand touching top of spine) protecting head and neck, with my head facing down, right hand stiff arming the door while moving quickly to get my things and run out. My right hand dented the door because of the speed I was moving. The second I felt the dent I immediately apologized and said "it's a 40$ door I'm sorry I'll fix it just calm down". But she went ballistic and called the cops to make sure "it was on record so I pay for it" like I said before. She had no idea I'd go through any of this, and neither did I. But once you call the cops it's out of both of your hands and now the justice system runs it's course. Even if BOTH parties regret it and pull the charges back. My only problem is it's been 3 months, she doesn't give a **** about me or doing the right thing anymore, and she thinks an order of protection isn't a big deal.

In the end after all this there's only 2 things that are going to happen. I'm going to get off with no charges, but the order will stay. OR I'm getting off with no charges, and either friends or family are going to convince her to take it off so I have a better chance of explaining what happened. She's been telling me and everyone for months now that she's doing it, but she hasn't. So she's just been lying. I'm going to call a lawyer to see what can be done, but my main intention was to learn about how medschool backround checks work and what they will see/ask me about. Does anyone have any reading material or links to help with that? Or maybe a place I can get adcoms opinions?

So, you actually dented the door with your hand. It's clear that you're not willing to admit that you did something aggressive here.

The strange thing about your posts is that you only have 3 posts which are all in this thread and yet you insist on clarifying that it's your friend and not you as if we know who you are. Your only posts are in this thread. Whether you are you or you are your friend, it seriously doesn't matter. And why can't your friend make his own account?

For the people that have really been following this and really care, here's a timeline of details so you get a "feel" for what happened to me. This incident happened on a friday night, saturday we were rocky, sunday she apologized for everything and we were perfect, monday perfect, tuesday perfect. wednesday I get a call from the detective to turn myself in or else a warrant goes out. Thursday I turn myself in at 4pm for "processing", he says ill be out in 2-3 hours and the DA will talk to me/her and ill be fine. I end up spending the night in jail because the DA is a women and she decides she doesnt need to see or speak to me. So I'm put in a jail with 8 other people. 11am Friday morning I get out of court with an order of protection even though I hear them read out her statement that I did nothing wrong and she was drunk and it was her fault. (they don't care because a lot of women that get beaten do that). Friday night I'm getting texts how sorry she is and that shes going to fix everything the second she gets back from vegas. Saturday I watch her dancing with other dudes on snapchat. And after 3 days of her harassing me through texts blaming me for everything, Tuesday she breaks up with me. I spend the next 2 weeks severely depressed and eating about 1.5 times a day, I lose 10-12lbs. I have still had zero contact with her since April. And I am still going to court.

Guys it doesn't matter who's account this really is, you're not being a detective either way and you're not accomplishing anything. I'm educating you on a real story and I'm asking for advice on a very serious issue that will affect me for the rest of my life.

"So, you actually dented the door with your hand. It's clear that you're not willing to admit that you did something aggressive here."

God damn man. Context. I was literally under assault with my head down. It was a flimsy fake NYC apartment door. I didn't put my foot through it out of anger or something.

My only advice for you is to look for med schools that only ask for convictions instead of arrests/orders of protection/traffic citations.

My only advice for you is to look for med schools that only ask for convictions instead of arrests/orders of protection/traffic citations.

That is very interesting, I didn't know there were schools that differentiated in that way. See that's the kind of gem I was looking for friend.

Shouldn't that have been "affect him for the rest of his life"?

Guys it doesn't matter who's account this really is, you're not being a detective either way and you're not accomplishing anything. I'm educating you on a real story and I'm asking for advice on a very serious issue that will affect me for the rest of my life.

Reactions: 6 users
Picture this, left arm bent (left hand touching top of spine) protecting head and neck, with my head facing down, right hand stiff arming the door while moving quickly to get my things and run out. My right hand dented the door because of the speed I was moving. The second I felt the dent I immediately apologized and said "it's a 40$ door I'm sorry I'll fix it just calm down".

LOL

>getting ass kicked by girl
>dents door by accident
<immediately apologizes for door and offers to pay

Reactions: 1 user
Lol it seems like nobody has empathy here. Your answers would totally change if their genders were flipped, but thats another issue. You are in the right OP, and I hope this last court appointment works out for you. I can't offer much legal advice but just know you have my best wishes.

I think playing gender-swap is an unnecessary exercise, tbh.

But, yes, what you should do next is have an attorney look into that order of protection. Maybe he could talk with the police and get the charge expunged? I'm not sure what that would entail, but it seems like it's worth a shot if nothing truly catastrophic happened and your ex-girlfriend/girlfriend can attest to this.

I'm sorry that this happened to you (or your friend), OP.

Was this door made out of cardboard or something? I've lived in crappy NYC apartments for six years and I cannot imagine putting a 2 x 2" dent in a door without applying real force. Presumably the door swung open as you strong-armed it, right? Did you injure your hand in the process?

That's just how the law is in NYC against men.

I end up spending the night in jail because the DA is a women and she decides she doesnt need to see or speak to me.

Even if the events happened like you say and you did nothing wrong, you may want to rephrase when you explain yourself to female adcoms.

Was this door made out of cardboard or something? I've lived in crappy NYC apartments for six years and I cannot imagine putting a 2 x 2" dent in a door without applying real force. Presumably the door swung open as you strong-armed it, right? Did you injure your hand in the process?
Yah my apt in NYC wasn't too crappy, but it's seems tough to dent the door unless it was a small area of a lot of force.

Domestic violence can come from males or females. As a female, I feel for the guy in this situation, but his prospects don't look good.
Oh Donna, we all know the only person that abuses you is Harvey, and that's emotionally.

Get a good lawyer and sue this person to a crisp. If what you're saying is true she assaulted you. Also this sounds kinda strange the more I read into it. Also there is no proof you damaged the door
I sincerely doubt the guy could successfully sue her...
OP, tell "your" "friend" to get a "lawyer"

Tell your "Friend" he needs a lawyer to solve this...

With that being said, with her recanting her statements and saying nothing happened, or her saying she dented the door there is a possibility nothing will really proceed. If you really didn't damage any property, hit her, or inflict fear of bodily harm or property damage then she needs to amend her statement. Probably 1/3rd of DV victims recant on their statements based on my experience and unless there was anything substantial that pretty much tosses any hope of a prosecution. Probably doesn't help we have only dash cams with no audio, so the interviews aren't recorded ...ugh

At DO schools this wouldn't even be a problem because they ask about convictions. It's after they accept you that a background check is ran. At that point they can't go back and rescind the acceptance or they get a massive lawsuit because a non-conviction is not grounds to reject you. You never lied in your application.

At DO schools this wouldn't even be a problem because they ask about convictions. It's after they accept you that a background check is ran. At that point they can't go back and rescind the acceptance or they get a massive lawsuit because a non-conviction is not grounds to reject you. You never lied in your application.
Memory is fuzzy but I think I was asked about arrests

Memory is fuzzy but I think I was asked about arrests
You may be old but you're right ;) arrests/charges are a question- but I think It may just be for secondaries?

Edit: double checked in my portal: convictions on primary

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I can remember back to when criminal background checks were first being required in some states and then nationally. IIRC, it was about the time of this tragic story: http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1860987

Schools are under a lot of pressure to keep out people who are violent. The problem is to be certain we keep out all the bad guys (no one slips through the cracks) we also end up barring some innocent people.

Reactions: 5 users
If it makes you feel any better, a female applicant with similar charges and an order of protection against her would have a similar difficulties...

I thought a TPO is a civil matter and should not show up on criminal history!. specially, if it is for a certain period of time. my question if no arrest has been made, would it still be considered as conviction or a crime?

Your educating us on a real story? Here's some education for you, learn how to use quotations.

Second, your right, I do see a issue, I see you have some gender insecurities, with some serious underlying anger problem too. Get help so it doesn't affect you the rest of your life.

Even though he turned himself in voluntarily for "processing," it's considered to be the equivalent of an arrest.
so it is considered arrest because of him turning himself voluntarily, would it be different if he was served with a court date hearing/ granting TPO for certain peroid(say for 6 months)

Edit: still wondering if no arrest has been made but TPO is granted for limited time, would it show on CBC, is it red flag even though there no arrest been made.

Yes processing is saving yourself and your family the humiliation of being hand cuffed in front of neighbors and so on. When you are processed, you are fingerprinted, a mugshot is taken, etc. most people turn themselves in for processing once they hear of a warrant for their arrest....not saying this is OPs case but that's how voluntary processing typically works.

The arrest may show up (if GF hasn't dropped charges yet) as:
4th degree whatever-I forget the charge
Case pending

This was not a similar circumstance but a charge in progress For a buddy of mine applying and that's what the AMCAS backroad check said

How do you know?
This is true... We don't know. Although, if the process were flipped, I don't think crazy b*itches who break stuff and then Their SO needs a DV order of protection bode well in the interview process. But you are right, Psai, we don't know, and I'm not being sarcastic.

Since we're talking about the potential loss of your friends future and career and all chances he ever has at becoming a physician, I would say that he should have lawyered up as soon as he possibly could have. If he hasnt yet, he should do it right now.