Organ Growth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pnasty said:
This is kinda cool, especially if they can start growing other organs as well.

I noticed this news article today as well. However, after reading it and seeing that there is no publication reference I denounced it (I'm not saying it's not done but I wond go further into details about the work). If there would have been a journal article to reference to I would look further into the work. However, since there is no article reference, a person can't read up on the work and check for flaws in the study design, ethical concerns and so forth.

Check out the Science magazine that came out two fridays ago. There was an article in there about using your own tissue cells to grow a healthy organ. Specific examples included growing Beta cells to stimulate insulin production in your pancreas, heart cells to grow a replacement heart valve, etc. The experimentation has only been done with mice thus far, but there have been no ill effects, or even fading effects after I think 60 or 90 days. You'll have to read it.