Organ Transplant Pharmacists

Started by rxgal8
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rxgal8

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that Organ Transplant is not a Board Certified Specialty but are there any programs where I can specialize in Organ Transplant without doing the general pharmacy practice residency first? Also, what is a typical day for an organ transplant pharmacist? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
 
rxgal8 said:
I know that Organ Transplant is not a Board Certified Specialty but are there any programs where I can specialize in Organ Transplant without doing the general pharmacy practice residency first? Also, what is a typical day for an organ transplant pharmacist? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A former colleague and friend of mine is a sold organ clinical pharmacy specialist at a top ten academic hospital. She rounds with the liver & kidney transplant teams, monitoring immunosuppressive therapy both induction, and subsequent therapy. She also is responsible for all pharmacotherapy. She also has an appointment with a College of Pharmacy and does research in her field. She is also has input on protocol revisions of transplant meds and does a lot of pharmacokinetic research of immunosuppressives. Hope this helps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IDPHARM said:
You are correct. My friend did a masters in immunology and did a residency after her Pharm.D.
Thanks for the info!

Well, I can still go into organ transplant by doing a residency specialty, right? I don't think I would need a Master's also although it would give my resume an upper edge.

I'm in Northern Cali right now and can't find any organ transplant pharmacy specialists that I can shadow. Hopefully I'll get to shadow one in S.Ca during my break.