Organic Chem Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ResoluteMike

Iowa State c/o 2021
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently taking Gen Chem 2 at the local CC College. The class runs until the end of February. The four year has O-chem starting in the middle of January. There would be about a 6 week overlap in the classes. I looked at an O-chem book and most of the chapter one material is a refresher of things I have already covered in Gen Chem 1.

How important are the last couple weeks of gen chem 2 be to O-chem? Should I wait or start bugging the hell out of the Chem Department for permission to take the classes simultaneously? I am just trying to gauge how risky this is to try based on the experience of folks who have already had the class.
 
I think it just depends on ur university and ability to do chemistry. I honestly struggled with all my chem courses so I had to devote a lot of time to them! Any particular reason you are rushing thru everything??
 
I would personally say that it would depend on the particular two classes you are taking... though in general, I don't think there is much overlap (if at all). The only real topic that I encountered that was covered in both classes was acid-base stuff (organic touched on it very briefly and did a better job teaching it anyways..). I would think that you would be fine (I think I vaguely remember the first two weeks of organic learning the functional groups and starting to create/name carbon molecules, which definitely didn't overlap with the last two weeks of gen chem 2), though I suppose it would depend on your learning style and the courses being offered.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it just depends on ur university and ability to do chemistry. I honestly struggled with all my chem courses so I had to devote a lot of time to them! Any particular reason you are rushing thru everything??

The CC college has a really nasty habit of cancelling their O-chem classes and summer offerings at the 4 year are also unreliable, so any available class with openings is worth pursuing. I also figure my chances this coming summer are better the more classes I have completed before the applications process closes out.
 
Organic chemistry seemed like a whole other subject, I'm in Ochem 2 right now, and I barely remember anything from Gen Chem except acid and base chemistry. I don't remember there being an overlap in the start of the Organic 1 semester either. Make sure you don't slack off in Orgo! I withdrew the first time, but then retook it for an A+, it's all about study skills! Best of luck 🙂
 
Organic and gen chem are definitely two quite different worlds-- I felt like I was learning a different language when I started orgo. The best advice anyone ever gave me for surviving organic was to invest in a mini whiteboard and use it to do reactions, mechanisms, and other problems over and over and over again. Mine was 5 bucks at Target, and it was easily one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Good luck!
 
I took o-chem 1 and gen chem 2 in the same semester. I don't feel like I was missing any information for o-chem. Good luck!