Organic Chem Advise Needed

Started by Somerset
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Somerset

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,

I am currently taking Organic Chem 1 and not doing well in it. I have a 4.0 GPA and was shocked at my score on my most recent exam. I'm wondering if anyone has received any information from a Vet school admissions committee as to how they view undergraduate coursework that had to be repeated? Would they rather see an audit, withdrawl/pass, or see a C for the class on the transcripts? If I don't do well I do plan on re-taking the class, but I just don't know what would look best on my transcripts in regards to the first OChem class, not the repeated one (if I have to retake it). Also, can someone honestly let me know if having to repeat OChem will kill my chances of getting into Vet school???

Thanks for the advise!
Somerset
 
Hi Everyone,

I am currently taking Organic Chem 1 and not doing well in it. I have a 4.0 GPA and was shocked at my score on my most recent exam. I'm wondering if anyone has received any information from a Vet school admissions committee as to how they view undergraduate coursework that had to be repeated? Would they rather see an audit, withdrawl/pass, or see a C for the class on the transcripts? If I don't do well I do plan on re-taking the class, but I just don't know what would look best on my transcripts in regards to the first OChem class, not the repeated one (if I have to retake it). Also, can someone honestly let me know if having to repeat OChem will kill my chances of getting into Vet school???

Thanks for the advise!
Somerset

If you have a 4.0 so far, do whatever you want. I don't think it matters too much. Withdrawal would be better than a D or F, but that's about it IMO.

NO, repeating OChem will NOT kill your chances of getting into vet school. I repeated Orgo 1 after withdrawing after the drop period (actually 2 weeks before finals). got an A- the second time around. got into 4 vet schools. didn't write an explanation statement. I even took a semester leave of absence from school as well.
 
I don't think it will kill you to retake it, but some schools will count that grade in their GPA calculations for you even if your school has some grade forgiveness program.

The only school I really have experience with is Auburn, and they said that they will count the first grade in their calculations, and that they don't want to see withdrawals because it makes them think you will just back out if you get overwhelmed. I would say that a C on a transcript would not be bad. And if you have a 4.0 now, the GPA damage won't bring you out of a competitive range.

That being said, you never know with organic... it almost made me cry about weekly, and then somehow I managed to pull a hail mary and come out with an A at the last minute. And that happened in both I and II, and they were different teachers. So don't give up hope yet!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the feedback. What are your views on auditing the class? Would an audit look just as bad a low grade (or withdrawl) or would it be worse?

Thanks!
Somerset
 
If you can get a C, take it!!! jeez, with your 4.0 that wont matter at all lol. And a C in orgo just means the avg. so if the avg in your class is 40%, you're doing fine!!! haha they do curve in orgo so if you're worried about getting below a C go talk to your prof and explain that you are debating dropping if you are below the class avg....i'm sure they will give you honest feedback about how much the class usually curves and if you're in a safe, avg zone right now

I wouldnt withdraw from the course until after you've talked with your prof, because remember, maybe a 30-50% is a C! if you talk with your prof and they say "yes, you should be a little worried, you need to do really well on the final" THEN you can think about withdrawing and repeating.

Finally, repeating does not mean you cant get into vet school!! especially with your 4.0 gpa!!!! i withdrew from one science class too and i kicked it's butt the second time lol
 
Thanks for the vote of confidence! That makes me feel better. Thanks again for all the feedback. It's been really helpful!

Somerset
 
In O-chem its generally important to think less about your numeric grade as an isolated number. Compare it to the class median. Are you well above? Then don't worry about it.

I would only be worried if your doing below average in the class.
 
Oh i forgot to write about auditing. i was told to not waste time with auditing courses because it doesnt mean jack. You can do it for "fun" if you're interested in the class, but you want to do it on a FULL schedule, and dont expect schools to think anything of it...it would mostly be just for your interest only. also, i was told not to audit a science prereq course because that ruins the point if you can handle a heavy sci load. You dont get to audit vet classes before you take them. But if you have a full schedule, and want to audit some *extra* upper level sci courses for fun, i dont think it would hurt.

But keep in mind, if you only take 12 credits (minimum for a full time student) and choose to audit a class, that may look poorly because your schedule is already light. However, if you take 14+ credits and want to audit some extra upper levels, i dont see why that would matter. But like i said, dont expect them to count it as anything since you didnt have to take exams and for all they know you could have not shown up for class ever! lol

You're in orgo now right? so when you ask about auditing do you mean withdraw, audit for a semester, and then retake it?? Dont bother, and actually, they may look down on that because it would be like you took it three times. If you withdraw from orgo I , this would be like your first time auditing it. You took part of it, you took an exam, you know what it is about...no point to audit it "again" if you need to retake it for a grade
 
With your high GPA I don't think one C would hurt, so I would just take the C and move on. If you don't think you will get the C then I would drop because at that point many schools would average the first score you received with your second. Best of luck.
 
Just dittoing everything everyone else is saying. If you can get out of OChem with a C, do so. It's better than repeating it, especially if you've a high GPA already.

I spent about 4-5 minutes explaining a C in Pharmacology at Kansas and at the end one of the interviewers went "We really don't care too much about one C..."
 
Just giving you my support -- I lost my 4.0GPA with my first quarter of organic chemistry. Like others have said, with a 4.0 you can actually afford to take a lower grade, so I would suggest continuing the class. Plus, you always have future classes to make up for it. Good luck! 🙂
 
Thanks again everyone, your advise has been great. I really appreciate it.

Per the discussion on auditing the class. I agree it doesn't look great to audit a class because they don't know if you went to class or not and it does look like you can't handle the load. However I would definitely re-take the class in the fall if it turns out that I need to audit it now. This class is a condensed one so it's pretty difficult. It's normally a 16 wk class and this one is 8 wks but our professor is ahead of his syllabus so it's turning into more of a 6wk class. We are already finishing chapter 7 and we've only been in class for 11 days. It's pretty crazy. I can see it with other subjects but with ochem...it's nuts!
 
Hi Somerset! I love your avi.

I took organic one class semester, and my professor would give us 20-25 point curves after an exam. On the other hand, I had a quantitative chem professor that refused to curve exams and our average was generally in the low 40s. Instead at the end of semester he posted his grading scale:

80-100- A
60-79- B
45-59- C
30-44- D
<30- F

I have no idea how he came up with this scale.... I was freaking out the entire semester because I had a 78 going in to the final(I have never had anything other than A). He posted this scale the last day of regular class, and the final was a lot easier than all of his previous tests that I ended up with an A.


So... it just goes to show you that you really never do know where you stand.... I definitely think you should go speak with your professor, and ask for some guidance on the matter. They understand that this class is a general requirement for most majors, and not everyone is a chem major, and therefore more sympathetic to your situation.

Trust me I understand your pain, I am taking OrgoII in 5 wk summer course... I'm ready to die. Just 6 more days left!!!!
 
Don't give up. I got a 68% in orgo 1 as a final grade and that ended up being a B+. I got a 77 in orgo 2 and that was an A. The curves are crazy to make up for the class being impossible 🙂
 
Hey Goldengal, I love your avi too!!

As for the professor curving the grades, not sure he will do it. Hasn't done it yet. We have another exam on Monday. I have a feeling the scores on this one will be even worse classwide. I really wish he would curve. It's really hard to not get discouraged. I really don't want to take this class over. Never had to repeat one before...not liking this at all!!

Thanks again for all the comments, you guys are great!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for your encouragement on Orgo. It's pretty discouraging right now. My prof hasn't curved anything yet so please keep your fingers crossed for me that he does!!
 
*sigh* my O Chem prof refused to curve...even though most of the class failed. Count your many blessings if your prof curves! (I've never worked so hard for a C in my life!)
 
Like the above grading scale shows, what might be a bad grade in another class might be just fine in organic. I made my worst grades in organic, but came out fine in the end. True, it does depend on the professor to take into account the skewed grades, but I say stick with it.

It can be nerve-racking though after so many good grades. Good job!👍
 
O-chem was easily the worst class I had to endure as an undergrad. I got a C in O-chem II (the only C on my record) and I considered retaking it, but decided that with my full class and work load that I'd be better off just focusing on making A's in the classes I had left.

I believe that schools look at your whole record and work / volunteer experience. I don't think they'll focus on just on class. I applied to 4 vet schools and got into 3 of them, and I didn't graduate with a 4.0. So don't stress too much about it. You sound like a really competitive applicant, it sounds like you'll do well. Good luck to you! 🙂
 
Well... this class sounds like one that I should worry about! lol Great.

Personally it sounds like you will do just fine 🙂. Great job so far on all of your other classes... just be excited, proud, and keep working your butt off and it sounds like you will have your pick of schools when you're all done.
 
I'm literally on my 4th attempt at ochem II. The first one was 6 years ago. Got a D the first time, withdrew for financial reasons the second (which sucks cos I was on track for a B), withdrew for personal reasons the third, and here I am almost done with my 4th try. I will be the happiest person in the world when I finally finish this class.
 
I'm literally on my 4th attempt at ochem II. The first one was 6 years ago. Got a D the first time, withdrew for financial reasons the second (which sucks cos I was on track for a B), withdrew for personal reasons the third, and here I am almost done with my 4th try. I will be the happiest person in the world when I finally finish this class.

I'm about to take orgo II for my second time. I did poorly in Orgo I and entered orgo II and realized, "Oh ****, I have no idea what they're talking about!" and dropped it. I just finished retaking orgo I (got a B. I am so ridiculously proud of my self.) and start orgo II on Monday. Good luck!
 
Yeah, that was my problem too. I got a C or C+ (can't remember) in ochem I but had no clue what was happening. I repeated it because I knew I'd never get a better grade in ochem ii until I had a handle on the first semester material.
 
My professor said at the beginning of the year "Water runs downhill. It wants to take the path of least resistance. Same goes for all these reactions. They want to take the easiest path possible".

I don't know why, but that really helped me look at the equations and make some sense of them as the year went on.

That is my little bit of wisdom I can contribute... Maybe it will help, and maybe it will make things more confusing 😛
 
Talk to the professor before you do anything, and buy a dry erase white board. Drawing the reactions over and over really helped me.
 
Practice pushing arrows enough, and it actually becomes kind of fun... Plus having a great prof helps a ton!
 
For those struggling with orgo, I just HAVE to post this link again for the x-rated ochem site: http://blogs.myspace.com/chiragvora

and i totally agree with posters above that have decided to not move onto orgo 2 if they didn't do so hot in orgo 1. orgo 1 is really the basics of electronegativity and such that leads to the understanding of just 4 basic reactions... and then for some reason orgo 2 explodes into reactions after reactions after reactions! years later, i remember orgo 1 very well, but orgo 2 is a blur (tho admittedly i think it's mostly because of this website)