organic chemistry advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mspaic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well i'm in second year of univeristy (biochemistry)

everyone knows exams are approaching

i'm pretty much smoking all my 5 classes, except for organic chemistry 1

we had two mid terms and i did putrit (even a bit below the class average)

on both of the mid terms the prof put a 15 mark question (test is out of 100), that WAS NOT EVEN COVERED YET
like an sn1/sn2 reaction was included on the first test, when we only did that stuff after the first test

but, because of the labs and assignments i still have 74 going into the exam
this is still bad (comparted to all my other marks which are over 85 now)

so DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR THIS EXAM???

i will have 4.5 full days to study

i'm NOT gonna study on the day of the exam cause i was dead tierd at the mid terms cause i exausted myself durin the test day

anyway, i'm sure some of u have struggled and managed to pull yourselves out wiht a pretty good mark in that class...

SO HELP ME OUT HERE lol..!

Members don't see this ad.

but, because of the labs and assignments i still have 74 going into the exam
this is still bad (comparted to all my other marks which are over 85 now)

If you're planning on applying to UofT and your first year marks resemble this, you have nothing to worry about.

But ya, as for advice, backtests, backtests, backtests.

SomeGuy said:
If you're planning on applying to UofT and your first year marks resemble this, you have nothing to worry about.

I'm applying at U Of T with an overall average of 3.8 and a science average (Biology major) of 3.6 and rising. In addition, I did score an A+ in Organic Chem. My overall GPA in the first year however, was more like 3.3. I'm in my third year now, and I don't know the ratio of accepted third year students to first or second year students. Can you shed some light on this? Does the year actually matter? And how much do they really take the overall GPA into account instead of just focussing on first year grades?

Members don't see this ad :)
At Memorial University of Newfoundland, the pre-reqs (first year) are weighted as 50% of your total academical score, the rest of your post-secondary courses make up the other 50%.

First year is key, if you do badly it'll usually take a year or two to bring it up.

SomeGuy said:

backtests :confused: i guess i dont get it...

zohaibab, all i know is when they calculate all your grades they'll take everything into account equally for u of t
they'll average out all of the grades you recieved through your 3 years
i think you stand well
my average from first year was about 3.48 for canada and 3.50 for states (remember A=4.0 in USA where it's 3.9 in canada)

but i heard U of T is REALLy hard to get into
i'm preparing alot for the american schools as backups, that's why i'm doing my volutneering/will do my pcat

mspaic said:
backtests :confused: i guess i dont get it...

zohaibab, all i know is when they calculate all your grades they'll take everything into account equally for u of t
they'll average out all of the grades you recieved through your 3 years
i think you stand well
my average from first year was about 3.48 for canada and 3.50 for states (remember A=4.0 in USA where it's 3.9 in canada)

but i heard U of T is REALLy hard to get into
i'm preparing alot for the american schools as backups, that's why i'm doing my volutneering/will do my pcat

The average entrance mark was an A- on U of T's scale last year, which means a 3.7 on a 4 scale in general. But I have heard about people with GPA's less than 3.5 getting in, so you should stay confident and try to do your best in the entrance test. I am planning to practice a lot on reading comprehension in the winter break!

zohaibab said:
The average entrance mark was an A- on U of T's scale last year, which means a 3.7 on a 4 scale in general.

yup this is what i also heard

i had a few b+s in first year which are 3.3 , which killed me
a- is an 3.7