Organic Chemistry at Community College or University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wakaaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a freshmen at a community college and I am taking general chemistry 2 because I took general chemistry 1 during the summer. I will be transferring out of my community college and attending a university either next semester or fall of my sophomore year. Should I take Organic Chemistry at my community college or wait until university? Also, should I take general bio 2 or wait until university? I am taking calculus 1, general chem 2, general bio 1, and writing. Next semester, I will be taking trig ( I don't need calculus, but I do need trig :( ), General bio 2, organic chemistry, and writing 2. Trig is only 2 credits. So should I take Organic chemistry 1 at my community college or wait until university?

Members don't see this ad.

It would look better to take the course at a university

If youre up for the work, take it at uni. the quality and rigor will be alot greater, but youre paying for your education, make the best of it. put your classmates to shame and ace every course @ uni, and show admissions why you deserve to get into Dschool. It was also prepare you for the DAT's and will be a good stepping stone towards the life of a d1 student.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a freshmen at a community college and I am taking general chemistry 2 because I took general chemistry 1 during the summer. I will be transferring out of my community college and attending a university either next semester or fall of my sophomore year. Should I take Organic Chemistry at my community college or wait until university? Also, should I take general bio 2 or wait until university? I am taking calculus 1, general chem 2, general bio 1, and writing. Next semester, I will be taking trig ( I don't need calculus, but I do need trig :( ), General bio 2, organic chemistry, and writing 2. Trig is only 2 credits. So should I take Organic chemistry 1 at my community college or wait until university?

As long as you're not applying to Boston, Temple, or Tufts, then I would do it at a CC. Organic is a tough course, so do it wherever you can get the highest grade.

The fewer people in your class, the more questions you will be asked in class, and the more you will be forced to keep up with the reading. What are the chances your professor will call on you in a class of 200 vs a class of 12?

Be a man and take it at a 4-year univ

The fewer people in your class, the more questions you will be asked in class, and the more you will be forced to keep up with the reading. What are the chances your professor will call on you in a class of 200 vs a class of 12?

What are the chances you'd study every night knowing your chances of being called on are 1/200 for a given day.

I know you asked me this question via PM so I'm glad you've got to hear different perspectives so you can make the decision for yourself.

There are pros and cons like everyone said. Some dental schools like people taking prerequisites at a 4-year because it's more challenging. There are only 3 schools or so that don't take community college classes, so you should be okay. Some schools have unit caps (maybe 60-70 units) or some don't have a unit limit. Taking it at CC might be easier...but note that eventually you have to take the second portion of it, so you should try your best to prepare. It won't look that great if you got an A at a CC, but when you got to the university to take it, you don't do well in ochem 2. Also, ochem is on the DAT, so you should try to get a solid foundation if you can by the time you take the standardized test.

I know this isn't part of your question...

But if it were me, I'd actually rather take physics 1 at the community college and take ochem 1 at the university.

Why?
1) In the end, you've already taken *some* of the prerequisites at the CC, so it doesn't really matter if you're taking an additional one. People I know that have gone to CC have gone to great dental schools (UCLA, UCSF, etc.) However, they also did extremely well at the univ after they transferred and well on their DATs.

2) I suggest physics because physics to me is a better class to learn in a smaller setting where you get a more personal interaction with the professor teaching it. So, the material might absorb more, and you might get a better understanding than at the university level.

Physics was the subject that made me the most confused in college when I first took it. Ochem was tough, but it wasn't too bad.

3) physics is not as important as biology and gchem/ochem to dental schools (I think). It's still a prerequisite, but with physics not being on the DAT, this shows you that perhaps it's not as much of an importance as the other subjects.

4) HOWEVER!!!!! I will say this with a *BIG WARNING*! Physics is more difficult than calculus (to me). Other people can say their opinions about this. Physics is a lot of word problems....and manipulating formulas.

If you're struggling in calculus, I suggest you get used to solving problems. Physics/Math/Gchem/Ochem is a lot about doing problems, so you have to have your good studying habits in. Or physics might be tough. Granted, physics might still be easier at the CC than at the university.

- I also don't know if you have the prerequisites to take physics, if you can take it yet.

Back to your question...If you should take ochem 1 at the univ or the CC..

I think it doesn't really matter where you take it really. Sure, it looks better at the university, but it doesn't hurt to have one additional class, since you're only basically taking one whole year at the CC. That's not that bad. Wherever you think you can do well in and get a good foundation for the NEXT ochem 2 course would be a good choice. Make sure you enroll in a good professor, and you should be decently prepared.

Good luck! :luck:

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone! I really appreciate everyones feedback. I really don't know what would be better for me. If I was to take it at a community college, would I get a good understanding of Organic Chemistry for the DAT? or would it be a weak understanding of organic chemistry since i'll be taking it at a community college? The reason I say this is because people make it sound like its too easy at a community college, to even get a basic understanding about any subject.
Would I get a good enough understanding of Organic chemistry at a community college to do good on the DAT? I'm worried that if I take organic chemistry at a community college, I won't even go into detail with half the stuff that I would be tested on the DAT. Anyone take Organic chemistry at a cc and have no trouble with the DAT?

Usually people say take it at a university but in my opinion it doesn't matter at all. If I could go back I would have taken Orgo at CC. Most important thing is to do WELL in that course. So if you think you can 4.0 that course at CC go for it. However, I do recommend that you take your upper level science courses at the University. And some school don't accept CC credits like UofM. So you need to look if your fav schools accept CC credits.

Thanks Everyone! I really appreciate everyones feedback. I really don't know what would be better for me. If I was to take it at a community college, would I get a good understanding of Organic Chemistry for the DAT? or would it be a weak understanding of organic chemistry since i'll be taking it at a community college? The reason I say this is because people make it sound like its too easy at a community college, to even get a basic understanding about any subject.
Would I get a good enough understanding of Organic chemistry at a community college to do good on the DAT? I'm worried that if I take organic chemistry at a community college, I won't even go into detail with half the stuff that I would be tested on the DAT. Anyone take Organic chemistry at a cc and have no trouble with the DAT?

If you do well on your course in CC it will prepare you well for DAT. It really comes to how much effort you put into it rather than where you take it.

I took OChem at a 2-year school and got a 29 on my Ochem section. So it is possible. I did, however, study for the entire DAT for about 2 months, 6-8 hours a day during the summer. The understanding of the overall concepts were solid for me by the end of the course (before I studied), but I did spend a lot of time going through flashcards to remember the specific reactions. How well you do in the course will depend upon how well you study for it. I recommend doing all of the reading before class and going to every class to do well. If you do well in the class, studying for the DAT won't be as difficult.

Reactions: 1 user
I took OChem at a 2-year school and got a 29 on my Ochem section. So it is possible. I did, however, study for the entire DAT for about 2 months, 6-8 hours a day during the summer. The understanding of the overall concepts were solid for me by the end of the course (before I studied), but I did spend a lot of time going through flashcards to remember the specific reactions. How well you do in the course will depend upon how well you study for it. I recommend doing all of the reading before class and going to every class to do well. If you do well in the class, studying for the DAT won't be as difficult.
OChem is one of those sections in which you can ace without taking a formal course and just by self studying for 1-2 months.

Get the A.

End of thread.

I agree. I took it at a CC and got an A and am have gotten 5 interviews this year from 10 schools I applied too. Tufts however let me know that they cant accept my courses so there goes one. Oh well