Organic Chemistry Grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredrcrawfor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a C in Organic Chemistry 1 but came back with an A in Organic Chemistry 2- is it really necessary to retake Organic Chemistry 1?

I have 2 other C's (Gen Chem 2 and Calculus- both same semester when in car wreck)

Other than those all grades really good
Any suggestions appreciated?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are really worried, you could take an upper level Ochem class and do really well.

otherwise, I would not worry about it personally. At my school, you CANNOT do well in Ochem 2 without a firm understanding of the stuff in Ochem 1. So it sounds like you pulled your socks up.

:)

I got a C in Organic Chemistry 1 but came back with an A in Organic Chemistry 2- is it really necessary to retake Organic Chemistry 1?

I have 2 other C's (Gen Chem 2 and Calculus- both same semester when in car wreck)

Other than those all grades really good
Any suggestions appreciated?

What is that, about 11 BCPM credit hours? Might be worthwhile to retake one of these courses from a gpa standpoint, but it all depends on your other application factors and school goals blah blah blah. Nobody's gonna be like "O the shame, a 'C' in Organic! Quick, remove this transcript from my palm to the wastebasket!"

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are really worried, you could take an upper level Ochem class and do really well.

otherwise, I would not worry about it personally. At my school, you CANNOT do well in Ochem 2 without a firm understanding of the stuff in Ochem 1. So it sounds like you pulled your socks up.

:)

yes I had to do a lot of review to understand the material- the first prof confused me but I spent HOURS this semester working through things and in the professors office in order to relearn and understand old and new material

We don't have an advanced Organic class here though so I think I will just let it go for now.

What is that, about 11 BCPM credit hours? Might be worthwhile to retake one of these courses from a gpa standpoint, but it all depends on your other application factors and school goals blah blah blah. Nobody's gonna be like "O the shame, a 'C' in Organic! Quick, remove this transcript from my palm to the wastebasket!"

I think my BCPM will be around 3.5 still. I contemplated taking Calculus again as I don't think it was hard it was just a crazy professor. But in order to have my minor in history I don't really have time to mess with it. I think I will keep thinking cuz I think there was a valid excuse for the 7 hours (calc and gen chem) when I got C's I was in a bad car wreck and in physical therapy- that is the only semester my GPA hasn't been over 3.55 (most over 3.7)

yes I had to do a lot of review to understand the material- the first prof confused me but I spent HOURS this semester working through things and in the professors office in order to relearn and understand old and new material

We don't have an advanced Organic class here though so I think I will just let it go for now.

Get a strong letter fo rec from your Ochem2 professor.