Organic chemistry lab question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmdwannab

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a question in regards to my organic lab. It is as follows:

Sodium borohydride NaBH4 is normally prepared for use in basic aqueous solution. Calculate the mass of 12% naBH4 aqueous solution required threoretically to reduce 5.00 grams of acetophenone (C8H8O).

It has been a long time for me for general chemistry and I have the hardest time trying to figure these out. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

pharmdwannab said:
Hey All,

I have a question in regards to my organic lab. It is as follows:

Sodium borohydride NaBH4 is normally prepared for use in basic aqueous solution. Calculate the mass of 12% naBH4 aqueous solution required threoretically to reduce 5.00 grams of acetophenone (C8H8O).

It has been a long time for me for general chemistry and I have the hardest time trying to figure these out. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Convert acetophenone to moles. Then looking at the reaction, determine how many moles of NaBH4 is needed to reduce acetophenone. If it's one to one, then convert that one mole of NaBH4 to grams and that is how many grams of NaBH4 is in the 12% solution. To determine the mass of the total solution, multiply by 100/12 to get 100% of the solution. i think that sounds right. it's been a little while. ..hope that helps.

Thanks for the response. I will give it a try! I appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
pharmdwannab said:
Thanks for the response. I will give it a try! I appreciate your help!

no problem...a little bored at work.

henitz9 said:
Convert acetophenone to moles. Then looking at the reaction, determine how many moles of NaBH4 is needed to reduce acetophenone. If it's one to one, then convert that one mole of NaBH4 to grams and that is how many grams of NaBH4 is in the 12% solution. To determine the mass of the total solution, multiply by 100/12 to get 100% of the solution. i think that sounds right. it's been a little while. ..hope that helps.

dang! what do you eat??