Organic Chemistry Odyssey?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avery07

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be ready to buy my copy of the destroyer soon and am wondering how helpful Ochem Odyssey is.

From what I can gather, it is overkill but IMO if it gets you that extra point, it would be worth it. I've heard that it takes a while to go through the whole thing which I don't like.

I will have reviewed all the subjects by May 14. I will take the DAT on June 14 and plan on spending that entire month just reviewing questions and taking tests all day every day.

With that said, I don't have time to go through a book that will take 2 weeks of dedication for it alone. I don't mind learning extra stuff but idk. $100 isn't too cheap for an extra book I really don't need.

Members don't see this ad.

i think it goes good with watching a chads video and then going to the odyssey and hammering out 40 problems just over alkanes, sn1, e1, aromatics, etc. i like how the problems are grouped together.

I will be ready to buy my copy of the destroyer soon and am wondering how helpful Ochem Odyssey is.

From what I can gather, it is overkill but IMO if it gets you that extra point, it would be worth it. I've heard that it takes a while to go through the whole thing which I don't like.

I will have reviewed all the subjects by May 14. I will take the DAT on June 14 and plan on spending that entire month just reviewing questions and taking tests all day every day.

With that said, I don't have time to go through a book that will take 2 weeks of dedication for it alone. I don't mind learning extra stuff but idk. $100 isn't too cheap for an extra book I really don't need.

I saw a recent odyssey cause a friend bought it (newer version).... It IS NOT FOR DAT. God no. Its for students who take organic class and do REALLY HORRIBLE cause thier professors just don't give them enough examples in the class and the tests come from outter space.... In that case, yeh you need Odyssey cause it is just a selection of tough orgo questions and answers. When I say tough, I mean, like ALOT harder than the orgo section of the destoyer

Do not get this book for DAT, its wayyy too advance for DAT.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on your weakness in ochem.

I have it and I like that it breaks down things in sections so I can see more practice questions on an area I'm weak in. As a whole its overkill. I seriously don't expect to cover the entire book cover to cover over the next 3 months.

It really depends on your budget and time. I know Ochem is my weakest area overall. 100 dollars to help me was totally worth it if I can get extra practice that will help me answer 2-3 more ochem questions correctly. that can mean 1-2 increase in score.

I used it, and yes there is a lot of info in there. However, the practice with stereochemistry helped me, and there are some additional rod maps as well.

destroyer comes with a lot but its really on you if your weak in orgo then go for it it won't hurt you to know as much as possible

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Does odyssey start out at step 1 or do I need to have sufficient organic knowledge going into it?

Its not like kaplan if that's what you meant. The name suggests its taking you on a journey with a guide but doesn't. It doesn't teach you the concepts then asks you questions. its just questions throw at you much like the DAT destroyer.

So you will need to at least know what its asking you.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Does odyssey start out at step 1 or do I need to have sufficient organic knowledge going into it?

odyssey is questions and answers (just like every other orgoman product)
its not text book. You MUST have orgo background or the questions and answers aren't going to make any sense

Anybody selling Organic chemistry Odyssey ? any edition?
please reply with a private message
thanks

dude im doing odyssey too, if you already finished your reviewing and you have your dat in a month don't waste your time doing odyssey. thats something you only do if you seriously have 3+ months before your exam. in your case your better off doing light review with the material you already have.