Organic Chemistry Stencil

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TylerJ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where to find a decent organic chemistry stencil?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, I have been considering the same thing and so far I have just found stencils with geometric shapes.

Any ideas from those that have taken Orgo Chem would be helpful since I am not much of an artist myself.

-JAF

Anyone know where to find a decent organic chemistry stencil?

Thanks.

Didn't even know these existed, sounds like a good idea. (Though you'll get decent at drawing benzene rings soon enough).

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you need it for? I didn't have one for ochem and I can't think of a need for it. Maybe I am unenlightened.

Yea they exist, but they seem to be difficult to find on the internet. All I could find was a patent for one. A professor suggested I find and purchase one, because we'll be drawing a lot of molecules and this will make it neater and faster; especially for chair structures.

What do you need it for? I didn't have one for ochem and I can't think of a need for it. Maybe I am unenlightened.
Likewise. I can draw a chair in about 2-3 seconds. I doubt I could even get the stencil lined up on the paper that fast. :eyebrow:

OP, if you want to buy something for organic chem that will *really* be useful, get yourself a model kit. Most students find stereochemistry to be the most challenging part of the course, and a model kit can really help you visualize molecules in three dimensions.

Likewise. I can draw a chair in about 2-3 seconds. I doubt I could even get the stencil lined up on the paper that fast. :eyebrow:

I remember one advisor forcing a fifth year to practice her chair drawings on the chalkboard as he proceeded to lecture the rest us on the importance of being able to draw these things on command during group meeting.. :smuggrin:

I realized way too late in ochem that interpretive dance was the best ochem learning tool for me.

I second the molecular model kit, saved with my life when it came to stereochem.

Likewise. I can draw a chair in about 2-3 seconds. I doubt I could even get the stencil lined up on the paper that fast.

Absolutely... stencils sound like iffy handicaps that might interfere with remembering structures, especially later when drawing nucleotides and amino acids. It's best to train your muscle memory to churn things like this out without thinking about it.

http://www.crystalclearchemistry.com/organic/concepts/howto_chair.php

This is the first link that shows up on a google search for "how to draw chair structures". I remember practicing this over and over and over again... ah good times.

I found my molecular model kit to be a complete waste of time and money but lots of my classmates loved it. I guess it really depends on your learning style.

I found my molecular model kit to be a complete waste of time and money but lots of my classmates loved it. I guess it really depends on your learning style.

Same, I'm glad I never even purchased one. I felt bad for the sorry saps snapping together models during exams-- what a waste of time.

Maybe I just have a savant-like grasp of mental 3D spatial manipulation but I never had problems doing stereochemistry in my head.

Half the people who have taken Organic Chemistry told me they had the same opinion regarding molecular models, and half said they were immensely helpful. I'm taking it here in a few weeks and I've decided why the heck NOT get it? I mean if it helps, then awesome. If it doesn't, then it's a nominal cost. I think the potential help is worth the risk of a few wasted dollars it isn't it?

Half the people who have taken Organic Chemistry told me they had the same opinion regarding molecular models, and half said they were immensely helpful. I'm taking it here in a few weeks and I've decided why the heck NOT get it? I mean if it helps, then awesome. If it doesn't, then it's a nominal cost. I think the potential help is worth the risk of a few wasted dollars it isn't it?

Best to either get one cheap on ebay or get one to share amongst a few friends. You won't be using it daily, but sometimes it helps to see things in 3D once. After that it's basically overpriced tinker toys. I bet there's an app on the net that lets you do orgo modeling cheap on computer that probably works well too.

If you really want to save some money and go low tech, go to a crafts store and buy a bunch of styrofoam balls, paint them appropriately and just stick them together with toothpicks. Makes nice xmas ornaments after the course is done.

Best to either get one cheap on ebay or get one to share amongst a few friends. You won't be using it daily, but sometimes it helps to see things in 3D once. After that it's basically overpriced tinker toys. I bet there's an app on the net that lets you do orgo modeling cheap on computer that probably works well too.

If you really want to save some money and go low tech, go to a crafts store and buy a bunch of styrofoam balls, paint them appropriately and just stick them together with toothpicks. Makes nice xmas ornaments after the course is done.

Sounds like a great idea! I will def do this! Usually I leave the ornament making to the kids. :)

If you go the crafts store route, just remember that certain styrofoam balls can only have a certain amount of toothpicks. Dun' wanna see any "Texas carbons" up in here, mmmmkay? :p