Organic Chemistry Stereochemistry Help Needed!

Started by osprey099
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

osprey099

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, so I'm having all sorts of problems with Stereochemistry.. we learned this like a month ago but I never got the hang of it and now our professor is just spitting out reactions and all the questions are "indicate the products of this reaction. include stereoisomers."

Can you guys teach me your way of doing stereochemistry or refer me to a good website that teaches stereochemistry? I've read the stereochem chapter in my book 3 times and i've went online to some websites but the more I try to learn it, the more confused I am.

Thank you.🙂
 
look at your right and left hand. They are very similar, but the relative placement of various things is different as evidenced by the fact that you cant usually wear a left hand glove on the right hand (unless its specially designed for it)

try this website
 
Hi guys, so I'm having all sorts of problems with Stereochemistry.. we learned this like a month ago but I never got the hang of it and now our professor is just spitting out reactions and all the questions are "indicate the products of this reaction. include stereoisomers."

Can you guys teach me your way of doing stereochemistry or refer me to a good website that teaches stereochemistry? I've read the stereochem chapter in my book 3 times and i've went online to some websites but the more I try to learn it, the more confused I am.

Thank you.🙂

Well, it would help if you told us what exactly is confusing you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What specifically do you have problems with? Certain reactions are stereospecific and the professor just seems to be reminding you to include proper stereochemistry (Sn2 inversion for example). Stereochemistry is so broad that "teach me it" isn't going to get you the answers you're looking for.