Organic Chemistry Summer Grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ambhoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

How will this low orgo grade affect me?

Thanks,
ambhoo

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One C+ won't kill you, but you should try to get an A in organic 2 to redeem yourself.

If it bothers you a lot- retake it. Otherwise I'd say as long as you keep rest of your grades up- it won't matter in the long run.

Thanks, do you think that the fact that I took the course during the summer will have any bearing?

Members don't see this ad :)
It happens. A lot of people have gotten a C or two on here and been successful. As far as taking it in the summer; as long as you have been busy doing other stuff as well then it should not have any bearing. But, if you were only taking the two classes and nothing else then there is the possibility that adcoms may wonder why you were not more successful. Again, you were probably doing other things at the time, like working and whatnot ;)

Going to a top 5 school doesn't really justify getting a C+ btw...since there are others in your class who got an A. A C+ is a C+, don't try to make yourself feel better by thinking your school is "harder"...

That wasn't to be mean, I just hate that argument.

But on the bright side I got a B- on the first OCHEM course. Then I hauled ass and got an A+ on the second course. Ended up teaching it as a lab instructor at Berkeley for 2 semester and now love ochem.

So having a bad grade is okay as long as you show improvement! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Going to a top 5 school doesn't really justify getting a C+ btw...since there are others in your class who got an A. A C+ is a C+, don't try to make yourself feel better by thinking your school is "harder"...

That wasn't to be mean, I just hate that argument.

But on the bright side I got a B- on the first OCHEM course. Then I hauled ass and got an A+ on the second course. Ended up teaching it as a lab instructor at Berkeley for 2 semester and now love ochem.

So having a bad grade is okay as long as you show improvement! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

You Berk students all think you're so cool because your forefathers named a bunch of elements and came up with dot structures and stuff. psshhhh

Hey everyone,

So I just got back my Organic Chemistry I grade for the summer and found out I got a C+. This course was taken at my school (Top 5) during the summer along with Statistics, in which I got an A+. This is my first C, so I'm really freaking out right now. Do you think this will drastically affect my medical school chances? Overall, I have gotten mostly A's and B/B+'s in my science classes and I'm worried that this one bad decision to take orgo (along with stats and doing work) over the summer has seriously messed me up.

Thanks,
ambhoo

Well, you are right about freaking out...Med schools do not like it when students take pre reqs over the summer. I am applying now, and I have had a couple of secondary applications from ivies asked to explain "if u took a pre req as a summer course, explain why". Apparently that is a red flag due to the fact that most summer taught courses are "less difficult". If you are attending a top 5 school, you should go to the Health Careers Dep and ask what you should do...

You are sooooo wrong in way too many levels..Unless you complete your undergrad in three years, or take some very esoteric courses, summer classes DO have a major bearing...

Well, you are right about freaking out...Med schools do not like it when students take pre reqs over the summer. I am applying now, and I have had a couple of secondary applications from ivies ask to explain "if u took a pre req a a summer course, explain why". Apparently that is a red falg due to the fact that most summer taught courses are "less difficult". If you are attending a top 5 school, you should go to the Health Careers Dep and ask what you should do...

BrainBuff, do you know of some specific schools which ask this? Also, in my experience, I was expecting the class to also be less difficult, but it happened such that my class was actually more intense than if I had taken it during the semester, as we had a lot of competitive dual degree students taking the course over the summer along with one of the "harder" orgo professors at my school. As for my reason for taking the class over the summer--I am trying to have multiple minors (3+) and this was the one class that was offered over the summer that could help me fit in my schedule of classes.

You are sooooo wrong in way too many levels..Unless you complete your undergrad in three years, or take some very esoteric courses, summer classes DO have a major bearing...

can u explain those major bearings? cuse i am taking 4 summer classes atm.

can u explain those major bearings? cuse i am taking 4 summer classes atm.

I have heard from credible sources on here that it can have some bearing. Yes, if all you are doing is taking a summer course and get a bad grade then it does not look great. Is it a deal breaker, probably not.

What looks bad is if you are constantly taking one pre-req in the summer. Schools may look down on it because you might be trying to "lighten your load." Personally, I don't think the same applies if you are taking a full load. In fact, that is harder than normal because of how condensed it is.

I have heard from credible sources on here that it can have some bearing. Yes, if all you are doing is taking a summer course and get a bad grade then it does not look great. Is it a deal breaker, probably not.

What looks bad is if you are constantly taking one pre-req in the summer. Schools may look down on it because you might be trying to "lighten your load." Personally, I don't think the same applies if you are taking a full load. In fact, that is harder than normal because of how condensed it is.

so 4 classes would be okay then eh lol.

hmm i really doubt adcoms really examine when and under what conditions a class was taken. ive never heard of a class being considered easy coz it was taken during summer? how about your just trying to finish your degree in a timely manner?? im taking physics and some other gen eds this summer and ive taken A&P during the summer and even if you are just taking 1 class--its not easy. its only 6 weeks. and a subpar grade is a subpar grade whether its taken during semester or a CC or during the summer

Well, you are right about freaking out...Med schools do not like it when students take pre reqs over the summer. I am applying now, and I have had a couple of secondary applications from ivies asked to explain "if u took a pre req as a summer course, explain why". Apparently that is a red flag due to the fact that most summer taught courses are "less difficult". If you are attending a top 5 school, you should go to the Health Careers Dep and ask what you should do...

Not true. Accepted to multiple top 10 schools....took both orgo I and II over the summer.

Just try to do well, then when you took it will matter very little. But also, one C/C+ won't kill you.

"explain why" doesn't mean "explain why you are a good for nothing slacker who can't manage a full load". If they ask just explain. I definitely can't speak for all schools but this never came up in an interview for me.

hmm i really doubt adcoms really examine when and under what conditions a class was taken. ive never heard of a class being considered easy coz it was taken during summer? how about your just trying to finish your degree in a timely manner??

Well I'v heard this from a trusted adcom who frequents this site. I'm just regurgitating the information. Of course the course itself is not easier, but if you are only taking one class that is easier than taking three classes.

a subpar grade is a subpar grade whether its taken during semester or a CC or during the summer

This is for sure frowned upon (I say this as a current cc student). It is one thing to transfer from a cc and quite another to be a student at a four year and take cc classes. Whether correct or not (I think not), adcoms view this as trying to get the easy grade.