Summer Organic Chemistry Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning my spring schedule ahead of registration.

I have taken or am taking the Organic Chemistry I and II lectures during the normal school year. The lab is its own thing that you don't have to take concurrently. Most people don't, actually, because it aligns poorly with lecture material.

It would be easier for me to take the lab in the summer because of other lab commitments, but it's not a big deal if I have to add it on for the spring.

Is this classified as a summer prereq? I guess it's half a prereq. I don't know if the advice against summer prereqs would still apply in this scenario.

Is this ill-advised in general?

Let me know!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

I have taken or am taking the Organic Chemistry I and II lectures during the normal school year. The lab is its own thing that you don't have to take concurrently. Most people don't, actually, because it aligns poorly with lecture material.

It would be easier for me to take the lab in the summer because of other lab commitments, but it's not a big deal if I have to add it on for the spring.

Is this classified as a summer prereq? I guess it's half a prereq. I don't know if the advice against summer prereqs would still apply in this scenario.

Let me know!

Thank you!
The VAST majority of medical schools don't care if you take classes during the summer, especially if it is exactly the same content as would be expected during a normal semester. For many schools, this would be a pre-requisite class, but I still think you should take it during the summer if you feel like it will benefit you.

Let me know!

Thank you!
Never heard of this summer prereq rule to be honest.

I think there are more and more non traditional applicants every year so schools have become a lot more flexible.

Members don't see this ad :)

Let me know!

Thank you!
Are you referring to advice to not cram too much material into a short period (like a summer semester)?

Are you referring to advice to not cram too much material into a short period (like a summer semester)?

No, I've heard from other students here that it's no big deal at all.

I have had a couple ADCOMs over the years say never to take prereqs in the summers. Perhaps that has changed since last I checked.

No, I've heard from other students here that it's no big deal at all.

I have had a couple ADCOMs over the years say never to take prereqs in the summers. Perhaps that has changed since last I checked.
From what I hear that is the conventional widsom
Nice to see you back, btw! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.