organic chemistry...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wigwam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what happens if i didn't do too well in my organic chem series, but did well in the other prerequisites (bio, microbio, etc)? Is organic chem the most important class to admissions officers? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi - I suppose it depends on how you define bad. Nearly every school I've looked at won't accept less than a 'C' in any pre-req, including organic chem. There is at least one school that I've seen (University of Missouri-Kansas City) that doesn't have Organic as a pre-req because you do 5 years of pharm school and take Organic in their program.

Anyway, I'm sure some people will say yes, it is the most important. I personally believe that presenting a solid, well-rounded application is just as important as your grade in Organic - although it is important to do well in all pre-reqs. If you are really concerned about how it would affect you at your schools of interest, you can always contact the admissions office - I've found they are generally pretty helpful.

Good luck!

i've done progressively worse in orgo. from A the 1st quarter, to C, and now hopefully b+

Members don't see this ad :)
Im sure they are interested in how you handle a variety of subjects, of which Orgo is just one of them. If you got As in Orgo I/II but Cs in the rest of your subjects how do you think your application would stand? As long as you did a C or better and the rest of your transcript is strong I wouldnt make it your largest issue.

No series is more important than another when taken in context.

However, you might expect this on an interview question - how do you feel you'll do when presented with 2 more years of chemistry, all of which might be related in some way to organic chemistry?

You also have to look within yourself...what kept you from doing well in these classes? Was the material too difficult? Did it "get away from you"? Did you not conceptually understand it?

Inorganic chemistry has far less to do with pharmacy than organic chemistry. So...you need to figure out - if not for the adcoms, for yourself, why you didn't do well when you did well in the other science classes.

There is no way to get around that pharmacy is imtimately related to chemistry!

Good luck!

This doesn't deal with the OP's post, but i just wanted to say something bout Orgo
http://seychellegabrielfan.com/
Before taking Orgo, i heard everyone that this course was so tough, it was the "evil sister of inorganic chem", etc etc. I'm pass midpoint Orgo I and all that was a bunch of bull. I find it soo much easier than inorganic.

Has anyone taken Physical Chem. a few weeks ago, some physics guy told me that that is the hardest course in the history of all classes cuz it combines physics, inorganic, organic chem. Any truth to this??

Last edited:
O-Chem was easy...P-chem was the hardest course for me.

its not that organic is exceptionally difficult or anything, its just that it requires a lot more memorization of reactions and mechanisms and stuff like that. i just didn't really have that much time to study it.

Yeah...I suppose P-chem is hard. But...don't go into it with that mindset!

Think of it as another aspect of chemistry! If you let your mind go there - it can be very cool to figure that stuff out.

We have a good friend (actually, a pt of my husbands) who has a PhD in solid state chemistry (those folks who know about electronics know about this stuff).....anyway...she would talk about stuff which I knew nothing about other than in the most peripheral way. They are people who are so way out there with chemistry...it is almost science fiction - yet she has the ability to engage me with her chemistry knowledge.

I guess my point is - let your mind go there & absorb what the chemistry can give you - who knows where it will take you???? What drugs might come to pass in the life of your career in which you might wish you'd want to know some background?

Yeah...it can be hard - who cares???? Try it - find out if that is something which you can get your head around. It may take you in a field of pharmacy which is just now starting or has yet to be started. You may be one of the innovators or one of those who makes sense of a difficult concept for those of us who need to take these medications. It may, however, but just difficult, as it was for Zpak. No matter - do your best.

You know you do well in bio & micro...have you done biochemistry? That often will put things all together.

Good luck!

Re: orgo. It is very essential in Med Chem and probably not as important as biochem in pharmacokinetics, but still necessary.

Re: PChem, I started P.Chem the week after my first child was born. It was a grueling two quarters. It's not that it was hard, just so many disciplines thrown in at once. My prof went to Indiana in the 50's and stressed knowing the derivations of the various PChem equations. The first quarter covered the finer details of G.Chem from a Physics standpoint, but required a background in Calculus more than physics or G.Chem. The second quarter was thermodynamics and was almost completely reaction rates using different variables (Pressure, Temperature, Ionic Strength, etc) If I could suggest anything before taking his PChem class it would be to review Calc I/II. I didn't necessarily need to know inorganic chemistry or physics (though it did help) but if you weren't rock solid on derivations (partial derivatives especially) it was hard to keep up. I ended up with a C the 1st quarter and a C+ the second. I'm sure not all PChem professors are like that, but hope it gives you an idea what some people get.

its not that organic is exceptionally difficult or anything, its just that it requires a lot more memorization of reactions and mechanisms and stuff like that. i just didn't really have that much time to study it.

If you try to memorize Orgo you will get bad grades.