Organic chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrazyFox

Ex-Pre-Pharmie
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!!!
This question has been asked before, but I am gonna ask it again. I am taking organic chemistry in the fall, but the problemm is that our cheistry department has notoriety of making hard classes harder (esp organics). I don't wanna have any umpleasant surprizes in the fall...(Lik getting F's and D's in the tests). What topics should I start covering now in order to be ready for fall? Any advise would be appreciated.
P.S I am not asking for easy way out...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!!!
This question has been asked before, but I am gonna ask it again. I am taking organic chemistry in the fall, but the problemm is that our cheistry department has notoriety of making hard classes harder (esp organics). I don't wanna have any umpleasant surprizes in the fall...(Lik getting F's and D's in the tests). What topics should I start covering now in order to be ready for fall? Any advise would be appreciated.
P.S I am not asking for easy way out...

Do you still have your Ochem book from Russian HS by any chance ? You can start covering basic stuff like Lewis structures, valence electrons and bonding and then move onto different classes of molecules, remember alkanes, alkenes ?

Do you still have your Ochem book from Russian HS by any chance ? You can start covering basic stuff like Lewis structures, valence electrons and bonding and then move onto different classes of molecules, remember alkanes, alkenes ?
Nah...I don't I wish I had...

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah...I don't I wish I had...

I'd buy the textbook for the class now and start going over it by yourself ahead of time.:luck: It is quite an easy subject if you put enough time, the only reason people have a hard time with it is because they usually don't know how to study for it. If you start reading ahead of time, you can also see what works for you best - like what helps you grasp the material.

Also whatever book you will buy, get a solutions manual with supplemental problems. Ochem is nothing by practicing the problems and doing them over and over again.

I'd buy the textbook for the class now and start going over it by yourself ahead of time.:luck: It is quite an easy subject if you put enough time, the only reason people have a hard time with it is because they usually don't know how to study for it. If you start reading ahead of time, you can also see what works for you best - like what helps you grasp the material.

Also whatever book you will buy, get a solutions manual with supplemental problems. Ochem is nothing by practicing the problems and doing them over and over again.

Yeah, I was going to do that.But the other thing is that I was told by several people that the book that is used in the course is the garbage and proffessor who teaches the class uses notes more. Never the less I am buying the book today. Thanks for advice you're ver helpfull.:love:

I suggest buying pushing electrons and orgo as a 2nd language

Last edited:
Just look at the first chapter. Do not move past it because you will confuse yourself.

The hardest part of Organic Chemistry is learning about the octet rule, and which way electrons are supposed to move, bonding, etc.

Don't look into naming because that can be learned in one day. My first time through Organic Chemistry, I had perfect scores when it came to naming the compounds, but I couldn't do anything when I was told to do reactions and synthesis because I had no idea of how electrons reacted (Chapter 1).

CrazyFox, don't stress and enjoy your summer while you can. When school starts just make sure you keep on top of your studying... don't get behind! Do all the homework questions at least twice, if not, 5 times. I can't stress that enough. Ochem isn't too hard but there's a lot of reactions and mechanisms to remember and the best way to remember them is to practice, practice, practice. Good luck!

Thanks everyone!

CrazyFox, don't stress and enjoy your summer while you can. When school starts just make sure you keep on top of your studying... don't get behind! Do all the homework questions at least twice, if not, 5 times. I can't stress that enough. Ochem isn't too hard but there's a lot of reactions and mechanisms to remember and the best way to remember them is to practice, practice, practice. Good luck!

Well yeah, that's the problem...As soon as I start thinking about ochem I start to stress. lol.. It's just a joy sucker....

Well yeah, that's the problem...As soon as I start thinking about ochem I start to stress. lol.. It's just a joy sucker....

Watch some Russian TV - I am watching 'Ты моя жизнь" to relax from all the crazy stress in my life. :)

Also - "Битва Экстрасенсов' is such a good show.

Watch some Russian TV - I am watching 'Ты моя жизнь" to relax from all the crazy stress in my life. :)

Also - "Битва Экстрасенсов' is such a good show.

I don't have russian tv at home.Do they have like a webiste that I can watch on? I haven't seen russian tv in almost 4 years....

every organic chem class is suppose to be "hard" in any univ of blah blah school but that doesn't mean its actually hard.

I don't have russian tv at home.Do they have like a webiste that I can watch on? I haven't seen russian tv in almost 4 years....

Yes, I don't have it either - here are the two sites:

intv.ru

tnt-tv.ru

Yes, I don't have it either - here are the two sites:

intv.ru

tnt-tv.ru

THAAANKKSS!!! I found the website that plays real life (kinda) they're airing Фабрика звезд it is SOOOO ATROCIOUS!!!!!:barf:

THAAANKKSS!!! I found the website that plays real life (kinda) they're airing Фабрика звезд it is SOOOO ATROCIOUS!!!!!:barf:

Hehehe :laugh: , I know check out this vid:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqLGaE0Vh0U[/YOUTUBE]

:eek: O M G

I am speechless, like you said the lyrics are quite something. :laugh:

:laugh: Gotta loove russian showbiz...They again proove that money IS the power, and any talent has got nothing to do with it.... I actually sing that stuff sometimes just for fun...:laugh::laugh: