Organic II Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Illinigirl09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my school does things a little differently than most. Organic I is 3 credits, Organic I lab is 2, and Organic II is 3 credits. That makes 8. Most schools say they want "8 semester hours of organic chemistry with lab." Unfortunately, the Organic II lab is not correlated with Organic II at my college, and its a much more advanced course (orgo II is a 300 level - orgo II lab is 400)

So, my question is, do the classes I have taken count as 8hours of organic chem with lab, or do I have to take the extra lab as well? I know none of you guys work for actual pharm schools; I'm just wondering what your experiences were.

Members don't see this ad.

I think most people take orgo I and II both lectures and labs. Thats what I did, but you may want to contact the schools you're applying to and ask if the 8 hours minus the orgo II lab will fulfill your requirements. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
So my school does things a little differently than most. Organic I is 3 credits, Organic I lab is 2, and Organic II is 3 credits. That makes 8. Most schools say they want "8 semester hours of organic chemistry with lab." Unfortunately, the Organic II lab is not correlated with Organic II at my college, and its a much more advanced course (orgo II is a 300 level - orgo II lab is 400)

So, my question is, do the classes I have taken count as 8hours of organic chem with lab, or do I have to take the extra lab as well? I know none of you guys work for actual pharm schools; I'm just wondering what your experiences were.

OU states explicitly that lab must be taken. I think that is pretty much the case anywhere.

That is also how UT does it. You take 3 hour lecture in fall and 3 hour lecture/2 hour lab in spring. It counts as 8 hours lecture/lab. You have to take the lab component.

These are the two main ways that people accumulate 8 hours of Organic Chemistry credit:

1.) Organic I with Lab (4 hours,) and Organic 2 with Lab (4 hours)
2.) Organic I section (3 hours), Organic II section (3 hours); Organic Chemistry II lab (2 hours, usually a co-requisite with either Organic I, or Organic II).

Whether you'll do things one way or another depends n your school, and in general, pharmacy schools are aware of this. As people have mentioned, you could always send your pharmacy school of interest an e-mail or give them a phone call to double-check. In the meantime, though, I wouldn't worry too much about it since a lot of schools do it one way or another.

I've taken it both ways, and I will say that method #2 (taking one section of lab) was a lot busier and the labs ran a lot longer. Often, you will be running 2-3 separate experiments concurrently by maximizing dead time in one experiment where you're doing... say, a 1 hour reflux. When I had to take classes with method 1 (two classes each with lab), the pacing was much slower; you usually did just one experiment and you usually didn't have to stagger steps from various experiments.

--Garfield3d

Thank you all for replying!! I'm going to e-mail/call a few schools but this helps.

which school are you at?

University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign

I'm also at UIUC and it is a bit weird the way the orgo II sequence is set up. I've found that the majority of schools require two orgo labs. However, all of the Illinois pharm schools as well as UW-Wisconsin and Purdue do not, so those would be good bets if you really don't think you want to take the lab.

so you don't have to to have the orgo II lab for illinois pharm schools? i'm at ISU and here we have orgo I (3 hours), orgo lab I (1 hour), orgo II (3 hours), and orgo II lab is (2 hours)...that would be great if i didn't have to take a the lab, but i thought UIC, SIUE, and midwestern all required it?

so you don't have to to have the orgo II lab for illinois pharm schools? i'm at ISU and here we have orgo I (3 hours), orgo lab I (1 hour), orgo II (3 hours), and orgo II lab is (2 hours)...that would be great if i didn't have to take a the lab, but i thought UIC, SIUE, and midwestern all required it?

I know this is the case at UIUC, but that may be because orgo I is 3 hours, orgo I lab is 2 hours, and orgo II is 3 hours which would equal the 8 hours Illinois pharm schools require. In your situation the orgo I lab is only 1 hour so you may need to take the 2nd one to get enough hours.

I ran into the exact same problem as you, and wound up 1 unit short of the ochem requirement this past application cycle. Despite already having attained my BS in Toxicology, splitting work between a med-chem and pharmacology lab, and having published 2 research papers while in undergrad... you'll never guess which class I currently have the pleasure of taking :rolleyes:

Bottom line? If you can take the class now, you'll thank yourself later because most pharm schools won't let you off the hook, regardless of your previous circumstances. :laugh:

Oh and best of luck!

ours is even weirder

organic lec 3 units organic lab1 3units organic lec2 3 units for total of 9 units

With many schools, you can petition once you are accepted. I had similar problems with Biology. At my university, the pre-healths took non-majors Bio 101 (I don't know why) if your major was not Biology (mine was Biochemistry). However, I took BIO 2 with lab, Cell and Molec with Lab, Plant Physiology with Lab, Genetics with lab, and Biochem 1 and 2 both with labs. Therefore, they let it slide.

A lot of schools do Ochem differently, we had Ochem1- 3 hrs, lab 1 hr. Ochem 2- 3 hrs, lab 2 hrs. For a total of 9 hours.

Most schools are used to this- I would contact admissions - speak to an admissions counselor and find out. You can always take the lab in CC this summer or in the fall if you are worried about it.