Might Fail Organic Chemistry II Twice. Will this ruin my chance of going to Pharmacy School and Grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misssnunucake

Reaction score
So I am currently taking Organic chemistry 2 lecture for the 2nd time and it is finals week. I believe I am going to get a D or C in it. The first time I completely failed it. I didn't really try because I was focusing on my other classes. My priorities were all screwed just like it is this summer. I didn't put much effort into studying. Kind of crammed which isn't good.

I just want to know if I will still have a chance of getting into pharmacy school if I retake Organic chemistry II for the third time and get an A. My current gpa is a 3.38 and I have done research last summer.

Below are my previous grades:

Intro Chemistry A

Hum Anat & Phy 1 B
Hum Anat & Phy Lab1 A
Gen Chem & Qual Anal 1 B
Gen Chm Qual Anl Lab 1 A

Hum Anat & Phy 2 B
Hum Anat & Phy Lab 2 A
Gen Chm/Qual Analy 2 B
Gen Chm/Qual Analy 2 L A

Prin Of Biology 1 B
Prin Biology Lab 1 B
Organic Chemistry 1 C
Organic Chem 1 Lab B

Prin Of Biology 2 C
Prin Biology Lab 2 B
Organic Chemistry 2 F
Organic Chem 2 Lab B

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @misssnunucake! Most of your grades are in the B range which isn't necessarily bad. The one standout grade would be organic chemistry but you would have to weigh that against taking that same class a 3rd time. In my opinion, if you manage to pass the class with a C, then you wouldn't necessarily have to retake it and that this grade would look better than taking the class a 3rd time. Another way to get a good idea whether you should retake the class is to email the admission committee for your school of choice and ask them the same question.

If you do decide to retake the class, make sure to know what you will be doing differently this time around. It seems like you were able to identify some mistakes you've made which is a good start.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @misssnunucake! Most of your grades are in the B range which isn't necessarily bad. The one standout grade would be organic chemistry but you would have to weigh that against taking that same class a 3rd time. In my opinion, if you manage to pass the class with a C, then you wouldn't necessarily have to retake it and that this grade would look better than taking the class a 3rd time. Another way to get a good idea whether you should retake the class is to email the admission committee for your school of choice and ask them the same question.

If you do decide to retake the class, make sure to know what you will be doing differently this time around. It seems like you were able to identify some mistakes you've made which is a good start.

Best of luck!
Thank so much! So basically you’re saying contact the pharmacy schools that I intend on applying to and ask them this same question ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank so much! So basically you’re saying contact the pharmacy schools that I intend on applying to and ask them this same question ?

Best of luck!

I am also pursuing my bachelors in chemistry so I can bring my gpa back up and show grade improvements in my undergrad.

Orgo has historically been viewed as a weed out course. I wonder how many of these, "I failed x class x amount of times, do I still have a chance?" threads exist in the MD, DO, PA and DDS forums.

I wouldn't bother retaking orgo 2 if you are able to get a C. Your grades are more than sufficient to get into pharmacy school nowadays, especially if a bachelors is listed on your application. My recommendation would be to work as a pharmacy technician prior to applying instead of contacting schools and explaining past mistakes. I can tell you they've heard it all and really don't care. Schools are struggling to fill their seats as is.

Reactions: 1 users
Orgo has historically been viewed as a weed out course. I wonder how many of these, "I failed x class x amount of times, do I still have a chance?" threads exist in the MD, DO, PA and DDS forums.

I wouldn't bother retaking orgo 2 if you are able to get a C. Your grades are more than sufficient to get into pharmacy school nowadays, especially if a bachelors is listed on your application. My recommendation would be to work as a pharmacy technician prior to applying instead of contacting schools and explaining past mistakes. I can tell you they've heard it all and really don't care. Schools are struggling to fill their seats as is.
Thank you so much for your advice! I just looked at my final grade for the class and I received a C. And I definitely agree with you, I’m going to look into getting a part time job as a pharmacy technician. Thanks.

Thank you so much for your advice! I just looked at my final grade for the class and I received a C. And I definitely agree with you, I’m going to look into getting a part time job as a pharmacy technician. Thanks.
If you can also get volunteer hours or be on the executive board of any society in school serves as volunteer hours

Reactions: 1 user
I think the only way you can invalidate your ability to get into school is if you fail your next class and get caught dealing drugs which would prevent you from securing loan money.

Yes, if you're concerned about your grade. But I see that you got a C so it's probably better for you to not retake the class!