Organic II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moobymaster

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much of this stuff do you actually use in the first year of Pharmschool (specifically University of Florida)? It's my only class left and I've already been accepted so I don't have to worry about the grade. Can I kick back for a C or should I actually be memorizing all of the synthesis reactions? Will this come back to bite me in the first year?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Mooby,

We use very little organic the first year. You'll be taking a one credit class your first semester called Fundamentals of Medicinal Chemistry. They give you a brief review of organic in that class. There is no synthesis, but you need to understand mechanisms of action and there is a lot of stuff on pKAs and ionization.

Just kick back a little, but not too far. Organic II is hard. If you slack off, you won't pass.

Hey Mooby- that brings me to another question- you can be accepted in Pharm school w/o completely finishing all the pre-reqs? I was going to apply next fall (early decision for the 2006 accelerated program) and at that point I estimate to be finishing 1-2 classes. So they don't push your app aside until they have all your pre-req final grades?

Members don't see this ad :)
Majority...u can apply without having all your pre reqs done...on the application u tell them what classes u are enrolled in and which you plan to take before pharm school starts. You have to realistically be able to complete all pre reqs by summer before fall semester that you enroll. Typically, you should be taking or have finished at least Organic I before applying.

Right. I applied while enrolled in Organic I, Bio II, Chem II and am taking Organic II right now. At UF you need to have the prereqs completed by the entering Fall semester. As it stands right now I got a conditional acceptance based on passing Org II with a C.

Wow- that's really great- they'll still take you with a C in O2...man, after sweating out all those A's this must be a short reprieve for you.

Well...it helps having a 4.0 in sciences. The C would still keep me well above the B average they want.

The main topics I've had really pounded into my head this year (1st) are:

Free Radical Oxidation
Hydrolysis
Acid/Base/pKa stuff
Buffer systems
Stereochemistry

There is no synthesis unless you are crazy enough to take a 3-hour medicinal chemistry lab elective where you become the slave of a medchem Ph.D. like I am right now.